Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Will Camera Raw get the new Lightroom 5 features?  (Read 30255 times)

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Will Camera Raw get the new Lightroom 5 features?
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2013, 06:59:47 pm »

What makes it difficult to do the sums is that Adobe could up the subscription price at any time.

But they could do the same with upgrade pricing or pricing of new product builds.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Joe S

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2013, 01:45:44 am »

But they could do the same with upgrade pricing or pricing of new product builds.

But as others have noted you are then free to continue with what you have.    With a subscription you have nothing.    I would strongly oppose such a move.    If you have the money or are in the business it may work but for hobby use by those of modest means it sucks.

mburke

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2013, 07:25:55 am »

What happens when a new machine is required to run the new software like in LR5 where an older OS can't work? Will you have to buy a new machine? Will your subscription not run the older versions?

Mike

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2013, 09:21:03 am »

To address the original question: as Jeff said there will be a version of Camera Raw that will support all of the new image-editing features of Lr 5 Beta.  This is consistent with our goal of preserving rendering compatibility between Lr and ACR, assuming matching versions.  Currently there is no publicly-available version of Camera Raw that supports the new imaging features of Lr 5 Beta (Upright, Radial Filter, brush-type spots of the improved Spot Tool) but that will change soon.
Eric Chan

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2013, 02:20:23 pm »

As much time as we spend on multiple Adobe products, the subscription is the way to go. So far, it's been a good fit at my studio.

I suppose that, someday in the future, we'll want to get off the upgrade treadmill (software and hardware). At that time, we'd spike the subscription.
~ CB

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2013, 02:23:44 pm »

Currently there is no publicly-available version of Camera Raw that supports the new imaging features of Lr 5 Beta (Upright, Radial Filter, brush-type spots of the improved Spot Tool) but that will change soon.

Here's some info on the upcoming Camera Raw release:

http://blogs.adobe.com/photoshopdotcom/2013/05/photoshop-cc-for-creative-cloud-members-coming-soon.html

In short, Camera Raw 8 will include the three new image editing features from Lightroom 5 Beta (as noted above already), and the ability to apply Camera Raw as a (Smart) Filter from within Photoshop, among other things.
Eric Chan

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2013, 02:30:49 pm »

Yes, they could raise the price of the perpetual upgrade price to $500 instead of the current $200...that would make the pricing of their subscriptions seem like a real bargain...

Well, based on announcements seen today at DPR it looks like Adobe Photoshop CS6 will be my last version of this software. Sad, but such is life. It felt like this was coming when I upgraded from CS5 to CS6. I hope this spurs competitors to come up with some great, new, software. Not sure how long I'll be able to continue with CS6. It'll be real strange not using Photoshop anymore.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 02:38:44 pm by Morris Taub »

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2013, 03:07:50 pm »

Here's some info on the upcoming Camera Raw release:

http://blogs.adobe.com/photoshopdotcom/2013/05/photoshop-cc-for-creative-cloud-members-coming-soon.html

In short, Camera Raw 8 will include the three new image editing features from Lightroom 5 Beta (as noted above already), and the ability to apply Camera Raw as a (Smart) Filter from within Photoshop, among other things.

Will Camera Raw 8 only be available to subscription users?...

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2013, 05:23:59 pm »

Camera Raw 8 will be available to both CC and CS6 customers. 

However, the new imaging and workflow features of ACR 8 will only be available when running ACR under Photoshop CC.  They will not be available when running ACR under Photoshop CS6.  On the other hand, new camera support and bug fixes will be available in ACR 8 under both CS6 and CC.  Hope that makes sense.
Eric Chan

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2013, 06:07:49 pm »

What Eric means is, since Photoshop CS6 is still a current shipping product, to offer continued updates for ACR, Adobe has decided to keep updating ACR but instead of doing ACR 7.x updates, ACR 8 will be made to work under both Photoshop CC and Photoshop CS6. This is a break from tradition a bit but is similar in nature to the differences between Photoshop and say Elements where the full features are there for Photoshop but a reduced feature set is there for Elements.

The engineers thought this would work better than to have to keep updating both ACR 7.x for CS6 and 8.x for CC.

Also not that while the new features won't be accessible in ACR 8 in CS6, ACR 8.x in CS6 will still be able to process all the new features that can be set in LR5 and Photoshop CC. This is like the last time where ACR 6.7 was released so CS5 could process (but not alter) settings from LR4.

Clearer?

matt4626

« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2013, 07:33:27 pm »

If anyone thinks the "introductory' price will be the price forever I've got a nice swamp for sale in Florida...
Stop paying in the future and you own nothing and would not even be able to go back and edit old images.....
*New Coke
*Netflix decides to "spin off" movies by mail
*JC Penny's new marketing...
well you get the idea... >:(

Raw shooter

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2013, 08:08:19 pm »

Well, this got weird.  As a CS6 owner (since forever upgrading from the previous version) it appears that my loyalty may be 2nd class compared to a CC member.
I love Photoshop and ACR, but maybe the love is not returned. 

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2013, 11:51:36 pm »

What Eric means is, since Photoshop CS6 is still a current shipping product, to offer continued updates for ACR, Adobe has decided to keep updating ACR but instead of doing ACR 7.x updates, ACR 8 will be made to work under both Photoshop CC and Photoshop CS6. This is a break from tradition a bit but is similar in nature to the differences between Photoshop and say Elements where the full features are there for Photoshop but a reduced feature set is there for Elements.

The engineers thought this would work better than to have to keep updating both ACR 7.x for CS6 and 8.x for CC.

Also not that while the new features won't be accessible in ACR 8 in CS6, ACR 8.x in CS6 will still be able to process all the new features that can be set in LR5 and Photoshop CC. This is like the last time where ACR 6.7 was released so CS5 could process (but not alter) settings from LR4.

Clearer?

Eric, Jeff, thanks for that explanation about camera raw 8...

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2013, 10:06:06 am »

Well, this got weird.  As a CS6 owner (since forever upgrading from the previous version) it appears that my loyalty may be 2nd class compared to a CC member.

Herding users to the CC version is strictly business. Any software used in a business by end users (e.g., photographers) should be a profit center, not a black hole of unknown expense.
~ CB

DougGator

« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2013, 11:57:00 am »

The subscription cost for Photoshop CC at $20 per month or $240 per year is very high.

elliot_n

« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2013, 12:55:14 pm »

So owners of Photoshop CS6 get the new ACR, but with all the features disabled? - I can't wait!

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2013, 02:24:42 pm »

So owners of Photoshop CS6 get the new ACR, but with all the features disabled? - I can't wait!

Yes...what, you wanted new stuff for free? Get real...or get the upgrade :~)

davidh202

« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2013, 10:57:18 pm »

I thought this over very thoroughly today...  
 if anyone that uses Photoshop in a Business    which is a legitimate tax write off expense, and cannot afford $20 a month for what Photoshop does for them is not being very realistic  ! You will piss away a lot more $$$  just eating out at glorified fast food establishment a couple of times a month
BTW the first year will be $10 a month
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 11:01:10 pm by davidh202 »

JhnMhn

« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2013, 01:09:49 am »

This was my response to Adobe regarding their marvelous new licensing model, "Not interested in arguments or any of the self-serving sophistry. Simply put, this long time user of Adobe products will no longer purchase further Adobe products, at least not as long as you force customers to the cloud and subscription-based software. There are already acceptable alternatives, and Cloud-forcing will only speed up the availability of better and better alternatives. Bye." Not interested in arguments here either; but, like Adobe, I also am in business and their new business model no longer fits my business needs. No anger or angst. We will each do just fine without each other. And I have "prolly" spent my last $$ on the "Doode" dude's various Adobe publications & videos. Looking forward to learning more about PhotoLine, and have already found Iridient Developer (formally Raw Developer) to provide better raw conversion than ACR. There is life after Photoshop. Ahhhh, I'm feeling better already.

JhnMhn

« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2013, 01:15:28 am »

Hmmm, meant for the above post to go in "Adobe diverging Creative Cloud and Standard versions", sorry 'bout that.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up