Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Will Camera Raw get the new Lightroom 5 features?  (Read 30253 times)

Joe S

Will Camera Raw get the new Lightroom 5 features?
« on: May 02, 2013, 05:19:41 pm »

such as the new spot removal?

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: Will Camera Raw get the new Lightroom 5 features?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 05:35:24 pm »

Yep...but only in the next version which has not been released...

mouse

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 09:49:14 pm »

Then the next obvious question is: will that version of Camera Raw be made available as an update to CS6 or only available, eventually, to purchasers of CS7?

Schewe

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 10:49:48 pm »

And that can't be answered because Adobe has made no announcements, but in the past, when LR shipped first, it was the next new version of Camera Raw that got the new features, not the old version. So, what do you think? You figure Adobe will add new features to Camera Raw for free?

AFairley

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 12:49:13 pm »

You figure Adobe will add new features to Camera Raw for free?

Of course they will, they are a charitable organization for the furtherance of the graphic arts, no?   ;)

bjanes

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 03:29:52 pm »

Then the next obvious question is: will that version of Camera Raw be made available as an update to CS6 or only available, eventually, to purchasers of CS7?

Adobe have chosen to designate the new LR as LR5, not LR4.5 but coming so soon after the release of 4.0 and with relatively few new features, I'm not sure that the step-up of a full version is warranted. However, since LR is very reasonably priced I doubt that many will complain. In the past, upgrading PS was often worth it merely to get the latest version of ACR. However, now that we have LR, I suspect that many will not upgrade to each new release of PS.

Regards,

Bill
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 03:32:07 pm by bjanes »

Schewe

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 09:06:10 pm »

However, now that we have LR, I suspect that many will not upgrade to each new release of PS.

That strategy is pretty much over since PS can only be upgraded from the most recent version...and I wouldn't be surprised to see new policies in the near future.

bjanes

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2013, 10:00:14 pm »

That strategy is pretty much over since PS can only be upgraded from the most recent version...and I wouldn't be surprised to see new policies in the near future.
And how is that?

Schewe

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2013, 10:58:16 pm »

And how is that?

You mean the one version back upgrade policy for Photoshop? So, you know that in order to upgrade to CS6, you must have CS5. Adobe used allow a 3 version back upgrade path, so one could skip a version or two and still get upgrade pricing. Now, if you have CS3 or CS4, you have to buy the full priced retail version of CS6. And, in the future, there may be (prolly will be) new policies...

bjanes

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2013, 11:28:55 am »

You mean the one version back upgrade policy for Photoshop? So, you know that in order to upgrade to CS6, you must have CS5. Adobe used allow a 3 version back upgrade path, so one could skip a version or two and still get upgrade pricing. Now, if you have CS3 or CS4, you have to buy the full priced retail version of CS6. And, in the future, there may be (prolly will be) new policies...

Yes, from what I have heard, Adobe may go over completely to a subscription plan for Photoshop and other CS applications. On that basis, the user would get updates as they occur. I see that one can subscribe only to a single CS application or the entire suite, depending on one's needs. I presume that LR would continue to be sold as a discrete application. Students and teachers get a discount, but are not supposed to use the applications for commercial purposes. Can you supply any additional information?

Regards,

Bill

Schewe

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2013, 12:44:13 pm »

Can you supply any additional information?

Not at this time...

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2013, 02:04:25 pm »

Understand I love PS and LR. BUT I wish to hell Adobe had some serious competition in the PS and LR arena. With a virtual monopoly I fear where they might go with this.
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2013, 03:00:46 pm »

> I wish to hell Adobe had some serious competition in the PS and LR arena.

You might try PhotoLine for PS, pl32.com . 

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2013, 04:33:59 am »

Jeff, I know you can't say, but I'm really hoping those 'new policies' don't include making Adobe Photoshop subscription only...I have no desire to give Adobe a monthly lifeline to my bank account...as a one person studio who does not use anything but Photoshop and now Lightroom from Adobe I really don't find the subscription logic economical in my favor. And I don't personally need month to month upgrades, especially for things I can't use for my work.

Think I'd just use CS6 or CS7 if still available as a standard purchase until I can't anymore because it doesn't work with the computers and then have a plan B. What plan B is, today, I don't know. I've been using Photoshop since the early 90's and hope I'm not forced to consider dumping it. But I will. I really hate having my hand forced when I know it doesn't have to be that way.

I used to upgrade Illustrator and Indesign every two to three versions even if I didn't need to. Since I don't use those programs enough anymore I decided not to upgrade them. Adobe's subscription policy for those two products put an end to me upgrading them.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 04:40:29 am by Morris Taub »

Schewe

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2013, 05:35:57 am »

I have no desire to give Adobe a monthly lifeline to my bank account...as a one person studio who does not use anything but Photoshop and now Lightroom from Adobe I really don't find the subscription logic economical in my favor. And I don't personally need month to month upgrades, especially for things I can't use for my work.

You sure?

What if the price point was, uh, more in your favor?

You sure that a known monthly nut wouldn't be of interest vs. a new $199 price every 18 months? And the ability to get new features when they are ready vs. waiting 18 months to get them?

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2013, 08:43:17 am »

You sure?

What if the price point was, uh, more in your favor?

You sure that a known monthly nut wouldn't be of interest vs. a new $199 price every 18 months? And the ability to get new features when they are ready vs. waiting 18 months to get them?

Guess it depends what the price point is. Based on prices today, the adobe single app cost is 20 dollars a month or 25 euros a month. Even if it's just every 18 months I still do better paying the upgrade fee like I used to.

Also, now I can upgrade when I want. Say I bought CS6 upgrade when it came out. Today I don't have to upgrade to CS7 until CS8 is ready to ship, if I don't want to lose my right/ability to upgrade. That would be closer to 36 months. Ok, say we narrow it down to 30 months. That's still only around $7 a month, not $20. Today the price point is not in my favor.

Based on the new features I've seen released over the last months for CS6 subscription users I'd say yes, I could wait till CS7 to have them included. They don't mean anything to me or my work.

Also, the $20/25 euro a month price is relevant today. What if Adobe decides to raise the price next year? I mean I wouldn't be surprised. What do I do? If I don't like it I can just stop paying and have nothing in hand to work with. At least until now by buying my 18 month upgrades I could continue to use Photoshop.

Honest, Jeff, I have nothing but respect for the folks that work at Adobe. I'm not trying to take food out of their mouths. I don't expect them to work for free. I love photoshop. I don't want to be put in a position to have to stop using it. But the subscription model just doesn't fit into my financial horizon.

Even if they came down to $10 a month, I'd be skeptical. Why? Forgive me this lapse into my imagination, but I suspect the shareholders would want more profit. Tease 'em with something cheap up front, get 'em addicted, then lower the hammer. Ok, call me paranoid. This is another 'thing' in our world, but I just hate the inflated prices of food and countless other things due to shareholders. Profit being given to people who do nothing but inflate the true prices of goods and services seems wrong to me. Food for another forum.

Sorry, but no. Not tempted in the least by the adobe subscription offers. What they'll offer us tomorrow, well, you know more about it than I.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2013, 05:36:19 pm »

Another aspect to the whole subscription issue I've not seen many people worry about is; what happens when you stop subscribing.
What are you left with ? Nothing.
At least with bought and 'owned' software you can at least continue to use old software until it will no longer run on a future OS, but even then you should be able to keep it running on older software+hardware. No being switched off by the cessation of a subscription.

Photoshop stopped for me at CS4 and I'll be happy to use The Gimp and donate to it's development if CS4 stops working for me at some future time.
Lightroom is still a unique option at the moment, but if it ever goes subscription only I'll be off to another product.
Will Adobe worry about me ? not at all, I'm totally unimportant to them.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2013, 05:49:16 pm »

Another aspect to the whole subscription issue I've not seen many people worry about is; what happens when you stop subscribing.
What are you left with ? Nothing.

I believe so. This is the 'big' issue many have with a subscription, especially those who have no issues running very old copies of say Photoshop. I was reading from someone the other day who's still using CS4. I have no problem with that too. That person could theoretically run CS4 forever assuming they never upgrade their OS or hardware. That of course would not be the case if one's subscription runs out.

If you're like me, always upgrading whenever possible, the subscription is pretty great. If you are the opposite, maybe not so attractive.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

jrp

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2013, 06:20:42 pm »

What makes it difficult to do the sums is that Adobe could up the subscription price at any time.

Schewe

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2013, 06:46:37 pm »

If you're like me, always upgrading whenever possible, the subscription is pretty great. If you are the opposite, maybe not so attractive.

In addition, don't forget that with subscriptions, Adobe has made the subscription cross-platform so if you use both, that's convenient.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up