Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: New Streaming & Dwnld Videos?  (Read 66388 times)

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: New Streaming & Dwnld Videos?
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2013, 12:42:23 am »

On Windows I am sure ccleaner can uninstall it for you. It is well-respected, and often succeeds when a program's built-in uninstaller doesn't.

But the purple player is working fine on my win 7 64 machine now, so I'm keeping it.

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

ianr

« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2013, 09:06:59 am »

I didn't like the new video content experience at all. I have in the past, just logged in and downloaded my content to my ipad to watch offline. I live in an area where the internet is too slow for streaming video. When I purchased the capture one tutorial, I was presented with a lot of (quite confusing) information about this purple thing that I have zero interest in. I installed the ios player but can't watch my content because the internet is too slow. I see no way to download overnight, which was my previous method.

Purple player's help shows no information on how to do the simplest thing you can do on the internet - download a file.

I understand your reasons for wanting to update the shop and download methods, but I fear that you have assumed (as everyone does) that everyone has a fast broadband connection.

I don't think I'll be buying any further content.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2013, 09:38:57 am »

Purchasers ALWAYS have a choice between downloading a file for viewing later offline or streaming a file.

To download a video in the Luminous Landscape app, click on the icon of the video you wish to download and select 'Add to Download Queue'.

If however you select Play - it will stream the video

ianr

« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2013, 11:52:12 am »

Hi Chris.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm glad there's still an option to download - especially as I raised my feedback with Platform Purple on Twitter and they managed to turn me from someone who wanted to provide feedback into someone who now hates them with a passion.

One question though: What's the LL app? I've obviously been gone too long and missed something fundamental.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2013, 12:27:35 pm »

Check the receipt that you were sent.

As mentioned there are two ways to view a video. My guess is that you clicked on the 'Watch Instantly' of the first screen grab from your receipt.

The emailed receipt goes on to suggest that you download the player app - see the second screen grab

ianr

« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2013, 12:34:12 pm »

Yes you're right I did click "watch instantly", but that's because I didn't want to have to install any software. I think that's fine for those that want it, but I wish there were just an ftp type option that didn't require any third party software. Platform Purple started ranting at me about broken downloads and how would I stream to other devices, what if my hard drive crashed. I found it rather infantile to be honest. We are all photographers here, we're used to managing files and don't get flummoxed with such things.

Thanks for your help, but let mw know when there's a simple download option that doesn't require any software. I'm not installing anything by platform purple.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2013, 01:01:19 pm »

Yes, if you do not want to install any software to play the videos, you are a bit stuck. The app is a plain vanilla media player (with our branding) and some file access/management ability.

For anyone who is loath to install anything, the streaming is simply available through your browser.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2013, 05:01:31 pm »

For anyone looking for the app, accessing your videos or more information on what may have been missed in an email

Go here

mrcmrc

« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2013, 07:33:43 am »

Still looking at alternatives...

Vimeo now has a streaming/queueing/download option for paid subscribers which looks like it may work. Any user comments?  The comments on Leaping Brain were not overwhelmingly numerous  ;D

Some day ago I've purchased the nice "Everybody Street" on Vimeo the process was fast & smooth and I downloaded all movs on my computer.

- Marco.

AlexG

« Reply #49 on: December 02, 2013, 04:21:17 pm »

Hello Chris,

I have been away from Lula for a while...

I purchased last night the LR5 guide only to find out you guys changed everything! I simply don't like it. While finally waiting overnight for the downloads to complete, I can only see them through your dedicated player. I managed to transfer the files to my external HD (my method of choice) using your help guide, but I was not able to open any of the (MOV) files in any of my laptops using either WMP or Quick time, or any other standard player for that matter - just "error windows". Does this new method requires to have your dedicated player in every computer?

Can you guys please make it a little easier and allow files to be viewed with standard players...I go back to LLVJ-1 and since then I never had a problem until now (quite a few years)!!

All the best.

Alex

James Orr

« Reply #50 on: December 02, 2013, 08:02:53 pm »

Can you guys please make it a little easier and allow files to be viewed with standard players...

+1.  I've really enjoyed the content and your impeccable customer service over the past 10+ years, but I like to keep my files organized.  My 15+ (not quite all 20 :) ) VJ's and tutorials all live in iTunes, along with 100+ other digital videos and tutorials, so that I can use the Apple TV to watch them without using AirPlay.  I love AirPlay, but it's still buggy for me and I only get audio half the time, unfortunately. 

If have one or two videos here and there that require a misc. player, those are the ones I'll probably never see again.  That's the case with a video I bought from Fine Woodworking on using handplanes.  Paid my $5, watched it once, haven't seen it since.  I forget about it because it isn't on any playlists.    

I know it's a new rollout and hopefully time will tell which way you go.  
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 01:10:04 pm by James Orr »

John McDermott

« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2013, 09:39:57 pm »

I just purchased the Ctein video and it works fine in the purple reader. However, I have in the past purchased many of the training videos and have downloaded them to my hard drive. Is there any way that I can view them in the purple reader?
John E. McDermott

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2013, 02:13:29 pm »

No, not really since the files are not transferable between the LuLa app and QuickTime Player/iTunes.

You can see everything if you have a subsc but I am sure you won't want to re-purchase stuff you already have. Send me a PM and let's see if we can work something out.

Chris

Jeff Magidson

• Artslides Digital Imaging
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2013, 01:17:34 pm »

Over the years I have purchased many LuLa videos. I purchase them mainly for the content but a secondary motivating factor is that I want to support LuLa because of the highly valuable forums and other content the site so graciously provides.  

The new streaming/download system is really a step backwards in frictionless video purchasing and viewing. If you look at my attached screen capture, you will see that the "purple player" requires three separate windows to be open at all times, If you close any one of those windows the player just quits. The "Purple Player" has no uninstall option, no preferences (unlike ALL good Macintosh applications) and does not have the ability to remember where you left off so when you go back to watching a one hour video (al la Ctein interview) you have to search around for for where you left off. It has other functional problems too. If you want to buy a LuLa video, you are now locked in to the "purple player". iTunes was a much better system for storing and viewing my LuLa videos!

I'm sorry, but the purple player system is really for people who don't know any better. Will I buy any LuLa videos in the future? Maybe, but this new system is adding a LOT of resistance to my purchasing decision.

~ Jeff

FYI: Mac 10.8.5

« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 01:25:12 pm by Jeff Magidson »
~ Jeff Magidson
Custom Archival Printing
http://artslidesboston.com

Kevin Horsefield

« Reply #54 on: December 20, 2013, 11:07:29 pm »

I agree with all that Jeff has said above.

I have spent a totally frustrating evening trying to transfer my downloaded files to my i-pad.  I am ready to pitch it through my wall.

Lula  has excellent content, but this platform is rediculously difficult to use.

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2013, 02:35:36 am »

I just bought my first purple vid...I can say that yes, for non tech people this sucks.  For tech people, no big deal.  So I can understand why the Lula people are a bit confused why there is so much backlash - but trust me this blows for the avg consumer.  I'll be converting the vid to a regular mp4 straight away so I never have to use the player and can view the vid on my other devices.

Josh-H

• Wild Nature Photo Travel
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2013, 04:02:53 am »

Also just purchased my first purple vid. I'm pretty technically savvy and I admit I found the process cumbersome at best. If you compare it to simply downloading a QT file its outright horrid. Will also convert to .mp4 and bin the purple player....
Wild Nature Photo Travel

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2013, 10:51:51 am »

We hear you. I cannot say that I disagree with many of the criticisms we have received.

I am starting to actively consider alternatives. Suggestions always welcome as before.

Chris

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2013, 12:44:16 pm »

I strongly urge you to simply go back to distributing a normal video file.  I understand your attempt at preventing piracy with the Purple system, but removing the purple:safe DRM was easy.  Anyone that wants to do so for distribution is not hampered.  Those of us that do so because we have using proprietary players or being limited to playback devices will still do so.  You are doing the equivalent of right-click prevention for images on websites at the expense of of the avg viewer.  My suggestion is go with what is easiest for the customer, that's always the best solution for sales.

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2013, 12:50:20 pm »

I strongly urge you to simply go back to distributing a normal video file.  I understand your attempt at preventing piracy with the Purple system, but removing the purple:safe DRM was easy.  Anyone that wants to do so for distribution is not hampered.  Those of us that do so because we have using proprietary players or being limited to playback devices will still do so.  You are doing the equivalent of right-click prevention for images on websites at the expense of of the avg viewer.  My suggestion is go with what is easiest for the customer, that's always the best solution for sales.

The move was never motivated by DRM. The move is to allow streaming as well as download. Only solutions that provide both options were/are considered.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up