Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 137   Go Down

Author Topic: Without Prejudice 2  (Read 572828 times)

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Without Prejudice 2
« Reply #1600 on: May 14, 2016, 02:37:57 pm »

Well, I found two

https://p2.liveauctioneers.com/404/9340/1901825_1_l.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/9e/d4/74/9ed474db57584dfb785059dbf464ee41.jpg

I can't resist the snide comment that someone should have cloned out that tree :)
A friend of mine who used to use an 11x14" view camera always had a chain saw in his Land Rover for just this type of situation.   ;)
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #1601 on: May 14, 2016, 03:40:05 pm »

I actually know rue d'Alésia reasonably well: a friend lives just off it, towards Parc Montsouris, and I must have walked up and down there 50 times, but I can't recognise the corner. Most of the buildings would still be the same... frustrating.

Rob C

« Reply #1602 on: May 15, 2016, 11:03:05 am »

I actually know rue d'Alésia reasonably well: a friend lives just off it, towards Parc Montsouris, and I must have walked up and down there 50 times, but I can't recognise the corner. Most of the buildings would still be the same... frustrating.

Before the Palmesian sky fell in and the thunder rolled (well it was Friday 13th after all), I did a short walk in a direction I'd remembered, from maybe thirty years ago, as leading to a classy square with nice bars etc. It didn't pan out that way: pavements under repair, rubbish bins everywhere, and nothing enticing at all. So I backed up and returned whence I'd come. Which was quite nice: I shot this pair.

When I did fnd a bar for my tea coffee, I was rewarded by the same girl walking in to use, I expect, the restroom. She looked even more spectacular in full profile; I didn't expect a relatively short lens to have quite the flattening effect I discovered when I came to play with this snap. Sadly, Graham, she didn't offer to share a cup of anything with me. How painful to be invisible.

;-(

Rob
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 08:39:34 am by Rob C »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #1603 on: May 15, 2016, 04:24:11 pm »

Just in case...

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #1604 on: May 15, 2016, 05:48:08 pm »

Self portrait... with a friend...

Rob C

« Reply #1605 on: May 16, 2016, 03:49:05 am »

Just in case...

You simply have to admire anyone capable of continuing to express (and bring) their lifestyle statement along like that!

I remember wondering aloud, here, whether or not Lincoln Capris of the early 50s came with red metallic paint: I think it must have been so: my Raleigh Lenton bike had exactly that - in '53.

I understand that it is illegal to give a tow to another car, here, in Spain. Apparently, that's why there are so many tow trucks around. At first I thought this pretty restrictive, but on further thought it make sound safety sense.

Rob

Rob C

« Reply #1606 on: May 16, 2016, 03:55:09 am »

You display sound sense in your choice of bosom friends!

I can't help wondering if you are firing your shutter with your thumb, in homage, as it were... Personally, I discovered a better, more finger-friendly way of holding the Nikon for the making of vertical shots courtesy a Peter Lindbergh video... twisting the wrists into painful shapes and contortions is no longer de rigueur as essential part of the artistic expression.

;-)

Rob

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #1607 on: May 16, 2016, 07:19:54 am »

I can't help wondering if you are firing your shutter with your thumb, in homage, as it were...

Lol... no, I'm mirror reverse remember... I use my right eye and my forefinger. I need my thumb to hit the focus button on the back, since I insist on choosing what to focus on.
Actually when I was in Hannover the previous weekend I handed the camera to my friend... who is not a "fancy camera" user. She instinctively put it to her left eye and got herself into quite a tangle trying to manipulate it that way, and generated a batch of not-really-focussed shots.

Rob C

« Reply #1608 on: May 16, 2016, 08:50:24 am »

Lol... no, I'm mirror reverse remember... I use my right eye and my forefinger. I need my thumb to hit the focus button on the back, since I insist on choosing what to focus on.
Actually when I was in Hannover the previous weekend I handed the camera to my friend... who is not a "fancy camera" user. She instinctively put it to her left eye and got herself into quite a tangle trying to manipulate it that way, and generated a batch of not-really-focussed shots.

Have you tried using zone-focussing with digital?

I never really trusted it even with film. I firmly believe that only a single, sliver-thin plane is ever in focus, and the catch is finding that crock of gold with the camera; usually, one only manages to catch a crock of, as it were.

Here's another bit of street theatre played out in my mind: third shot of this chicklet. I could pretend that it was all planned to the nth degree, but even the most generous wouldn't buy that one... I was, of course, invisible.

;-)

Rob

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #1609 on: May 16, 2016, 09:19:42 am »

Here's another bit of street theatre played out in my mind: third shot of this chicklet. I could pretend that it was all planned to the nth degree, but even the most generous wouldn't buy that one... I was, of course, invisible.
And you didn't even invite her to come see your etchings? What a lost opportunity, Rob.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #1610 on: May 16, 2016, 09:25:19 am »

Have you tried using zone-focussing with digital?

Not really, but prefocusing yes. Yesterday there was a strip of sunlight across rue de la République, so I focused in the middle of that and waited for someone to ride a bicycle through it. Of course, cyclists suddenly became rare, but a pair of teenagers on bmx bikes eventually showed. Lemmee see if I can extract it from Fesse Bouc...

Yep. I was a tiny bit slow hitting the button, I would have preferred to have had the one on the right sharp, but I was happy enough have managed to frame them semi-competently. I cropped off some empty space on the left, but nothing off the vertical.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 09:29:39 am by GrahamBy »

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #1611 on: May 16, 2016, 09:33:11 am »

Just in case...

There was an actual motorcycle funeral transport company in Melbourne, but they used a sidecar. It had the standard coffin-holding apparatus...

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #1612 on: May 16, 2016, 09:37:12 am »

Sometimes, you have all the time in the world and then you stick it on f/11 anyway  ;D

Rob C

« Reply #1613 on: May 16, 2016, 11:07:12 am »

And you didn't even invite her to come see your etchings? What a lost opportunity, Rob.

But Eric, I told you, I was invisible at the time: didn't want to frighten anyone into hearing disembodied voices now, did I?

Anyway, it would have been a waste of time: saw her later as I sat having coffee, and she didn't even turn her head as she walked right on by on her way out from the loos. I guess I was still invisible. (No, of course not, I wasn't having my coffee in the john!)

Rob

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #1614 on: May 16, 2016, 12:45:32 pm »

...How painful to be invisible.

Indeed. And I do not understand why science is so obsessed with creating an invisible cloak. Every man will become invisible at a certain age, women even sooner.

Rob C

« Reply #1615 on: May 16, 2016, 01:36:21 pm »

Indeed. And I do not understand why science is so obsessed with creating an invisible cloak. Every man will become invisible at a certain age, women even sooner.

Hence the Lambos: they fix faulty vision.

;-)

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #1616 on: May 17, 2016, 10:04:15 am »

I don't know about you, thought I suspect it holds in your case too, but I feel advertising is much more than selling: rather than reflect, I believe it to express the emotions and mores that we eventually end up following.

Anyway, this was the first image that I made on Friday 13th, and also, as I sheltered out of the surprise thunder and rain an hour or so later, the last beautiful face that again graced my camera that day. Which is all very interesting but not the point: the point, then, is this: look at the eyes. You'll discover that the one on the left (her right one) is much larger than her left. I'm surprised this poor bit of PSing got through all the levels of checks... It's not just that her eye is more open, due to expression, but the actual iris sizes are diffent too. (On the last shot, tighly framed, it's even more obvious, but I can't work on it - feels all wrong to have somebody else's shot on the screen without at least some personal input from myself. Only shot it because I had to find something to do rather than go crazy waiting for the rain to stop.)

Rob

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #1617 on: May 23, 2016, 09:06:07 am »

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #1618 on: May 23, 2016, 10:36:39 am »

My parable from the weekend:

Rob C

« Reply #1619 on: May 23, 2016, 02:23:01 pm »

Fortunately for the world, they never learn.

Unfortunately for Social Security Services, they never learn.

Very nice shot - lots of HC-B feeling comes through, or is it just in the nature of France?

;-)

Rob C
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 137   Go Up