Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 137   Go Down

Author Topic: Without Prejudice 2  (Read 572075 times)

Rob C

Re: Without Prejudice 2
« Reply #1400 on: March 07, 2016, 04:19:47 am »

That girl with the pram needs a meal.

Rob

P.S.

If you reduce your pix' width a smidgen I won't have to scroll... and lose the effect.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 04:24:26 am by Rob C »

armand

• Photos
« Reply #1401 on: March 07, 2016, 01:08:21 pm »

Kennedy Space Center

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #1402 on: March 07, 2016, 07:03:40 pm »

His master's voice:

Rob C

« Reply #1403 on: March 09, 2016, 04:14:15 am »

But did the dog sing, Slobodan?

Rob

Rob C

« Reply #1404 on: March 09, 2016, 04:21:59 am »

I sometimes think that a cellphone is the best damned thing we have. Other times I hate it because it's a lottery: can't even see what the blessed image is when I'm outside.

I wonder if the best compromise is one of those point 'n' shoots. I mean, after all, if I have no intentions of printing again, and I do like 'grain'... Did P'n'S cameras have accurate viewfinders?

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #1405 on: March 09, 2016, 11:16:46 am »

Buy a P'n'S camera with an electronic viewfinder and you'll see what the sensor sees ;-)

Hi Keith,

But aren't those things to stick into accessory shoes, and only for expensive versions of P'n'S like the little Leica X range? I'm thinking of something totally under 500 quid or so. A useable toy. I wouldn't dump either of my Nikons - it's just for a walkabout which neither of the Niks really is - too damned bulky.

Rob

degrub

« Reply #1406 on: March 09, 2016, 01:31:48 pm »

One option might be a used Olympus e-pm2 with the kit 14-42. About 200 USD. Decent sensor. Small and light. If you need a higher resolution evf, a vf400 evf on the flash shoe. About 150 USD used. You can also put almost any other manual focus capable lens on it with adapter. 50mm or longer best to avoid light ray angle issues with the sensor microlenses. 2X crop factor on FOV.

Frank

Rob C

« Reply #1407 on: March 09, 2016, 03:21:49 pm »

Frank, Keith:

Thanks for your input - lot's to look at and think about there.

What would be cool wold be a digital version of the original, tiny Minox spy camera! Now that would really fit into a shirt pocket! And cost more than the Leica ones, no doubt.

Rob

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #1408 on: March 09, 2016, 04:10:14 pm »

Hmm, almost in synchrony with Rob's post, one of my friends posted this, shot in the car wash :)

I'm not sure the video adds much, I'd have kept the first frame (oops, that was a prejudicial comment, sorry!)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCuDEQ9u6jF/

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #1409 on: March 09, 2016, 04:14:37 pm »

I sometimes think that a cellphone is the best damned thing we have. Other times I hate it because it's a lottery: can't even see what the blessed image is when I'm outside.

The problem I have is that for whatever bizarre reason, I'm incapable of getting the horizon level when using my cell phone. But it's the biggest camera I'm ever going to take on a 100+ km bicycle ride, so...

Rob: I'll try changing my export setting down to 600x900, hopefully that will work better.

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #1410 on: March 10, 2016, 01:46:22 am »

Rob, my local London Camera Centre has a Fujifilm X100s for about £500

brianrybolt

« Reply #1411 on: March 10, 2016, 04:51:41 am »

Rob, my local London Camera Centre has a Fujifilm X100s for about £500

I believe it's London Camera Exchange, not Centre.
Brian

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #1412 on: March 10, 2016, 11:11:21 am »

You're right. Exchange. We used to have a Taunton Camera Centre, but that's now long gone.

Arlen

« Reply #1413 on: March 10, 2016, 06:05:04 pm »

Rob, the Sony RX100 is arguably the best "pocketable"--even if only in a rather large pocket--camera out there. I have the original "mark I" version, and have loved it for both its convenience and high image quality. The more recent "mark III" and "mark IV" versions have built-in, popup EVF finders, though I haven't personally looked through them. If you search for Sony RX100 here on LuLa forums, you will find a lot of positive testimonials. The biggest downside to this camera is that it's not cheap; maybe the most expensive in its category.

RX100 IV review at DPReview

degrub

« Reply #1414 on: March 10, 2016, 07:01:32 pm »

Rob C

« Reply #1415 on: March 11, 2016, 09:55:35 am »

Maybe used.....
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/590456-USA/Minox_60651_DSC_Digital_Spy.html

Frank

Live and learn!

I thought that Minox had long died, victim of its own tiny film format!

Today I decided to brave the current gales - at least it's not raining today - and do the regulation walk I'm supposed to perform every day. Well, I'd bought a VND filter some months ago and only tried it once, with no luck at all - and promptly forgot about it. Then, I recently saw again some work by our South Africa contributor Riaan, and today the filter was back outside its case.

Fitted to the 24mm on the D200, stopped down to f22, not a care in the world about diffraction etc. and focus set once and for all via DOF scale, I shot around the sea edges and have yet to find out the truth/value (if any) of my efforts. But here's the thing: the feeling of the exercise was worth its weight in fools(?) gold! Back home, I've wiped off the salt, feel perfectly confident in the innards working okay next time, and realised yet again that it's not the camera, stupid, it's how your head's working at the time.

Guess that means I just stay with what I have, and get on with it. Weight's one thing, but so's mental attitude, as Mrs Ringo Starr told 007 some years ago.

Nonetheless, thank you all for your ideas and suggestions: I now know a lot more about other cameras than I did!

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #1416 on: March 11, 2016, 11:52:33 am »

Well, a new departure that I hope isn't a brake. (Probably only for older US readers...)

;-)

Rob C

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #1417 on: March 12, 2016, 05:22:34 am »

Definitely at least two million quid :-)

I think one problem of the Euro is that it still doesn't have a consistent slang term like "buck" or "quid". It will be difficult across so many cultures. The French occasionally call it the "roro" (pronounced row-row).

Anyway, another shot from last weekend's after the brief snow walk, in the new 600x900 format...

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #1418 on: March 12, 2016, 09:57:39 am »

Well, a new departure that I hope isn't a brake. (Probably only for older US readers...)

;-)

Rob C
I love your new departure, Rob.

But be careful: You just may be unintentionally teaching some of us how to be creative.  ;)

This reminds me of a comment by a famous landscape photographer that I took a workshop from a many years ago. It took me a long time (decades) before I realized that his comment really held the essence of creativity in photography, in one word:

"Look!"

-Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #1419 on: March 12, 2016, 10:09:29 am »

Definitely at least two million quid :-)

I think one problem of the Euro is that it still doesn't have a consistent slang term like "buck" or "quid". It will be difficult across so many cultures. The French occasionally call it the "roro" (pronounced row-row).

Anyway, another shot from last weekend's after the brief snow walk, in the new 600x900 format...

Hi Graham,

Yes, it's easier now - just - for my little LaCie 319 to get a full vertical; I'm sure horizontals will be just perfect. Thank you for caring enough to change!

Rob C
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 137   Go Up