Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 137   Go Down

Author Topic: Without Prejudice 2  (Read 572066 times)

Rob C

Re: Without Prejudice 2
« Reply #980 on: September 15, 2015, 03:57:32 pm »

Anybody else 'mature' enough to remember this kick?

Rob C

armand

• Photos
« Reply #981 on: September 15, 2015, 09:43:46 pm »

Note to self: do this type of photography when the wind is not blowing

BobDavid

« Reply #982 on: September 16, 2015, 12:56:57 am »

Note to self: do this type of photography when the wind is not blowing

I like.  ... This image begs to be printed--at least 20" wide.

Rob C

« Reply #983 on: September 16, 2015, 03:44:24 pm »

Street People

Rob C

Still wondering why everything is going soft; look at the lettering!

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #984 on: September 16, 2015, 05:12:52 pm »

Street People

Rob C

Rob,

A most haunting unsetteling image. But I can't quite say as to why this image makes me feel that way...

Peter

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #985 on: September 16, 2015, 05:22:05 pm »

... Still wondering why everything is going soft; look at the lettering!

Browser. Blurred on Safari, crisp on Chrome (both on Mac).

armand

• Photos
« Reply #986 on: September 16, 2015, 10:53:50 pm »

That seed was there again this evening when I came from work, with no wind at all until I found that the battery was dead. Back in house, when I came back the wind was blowing.
2 versions of it.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #987 on: September 16, 2015, 10:55:13 pm »

equally dead - a focus stack

Rob C

« Reply #988 on: September 17, 2015, 04:26:30 am »

Rob,

A most haunting unsetteling image. But I can't quite say as to why this image makes me feel that way...

Peter

Hi Peter,

Yes, I know what you mean. It's what happens to me this way all the time, in that I wander around aimlessly, and something just reaches out. I can't predict where or when, I can't manufacture it.

For example: Wednesday is market day here in Puerto Pollensa, and the place fills with hundreds of people thronging around a smallish square filled with all the crap that you can imagine as well as some nice farm produce, much of which is not actually locally grown at all, but comes for wherever stuff's in season or the feezers big enough. The perimeter of the trading zone's got a lot of cafes doing good business, and you can't find a seat because they are all filled, not with towels but with asses. Now, I pass all of them a couple of times and see nobody worthy of a snap; nobody. That's hard to believe out of so many. Then, as yesterday, boredom lets me sneak past the flowerpots set up to divert people into a regular way-in to a certain bar, and I find an empty spot. (Being thin allows for some of these tactics.) After a while, a pair of girls finds another table and I watch over my coffee. One animated girl in heavy sunglasses seems quite attractive at fifteen feet, and I eventually decide she's worth a couple of images.

I get home, stick the stuff into PS and in moments wonder what the hell I'd been thinking about. Dumped.

In other words, things reach out, but they are often just chimeras.

As I have said before, Saul Leiter's a hero, and one of the simple, deep things that he said, and that I paraphrase here, was this: if I knew what was going to be good, I wouldn't have had to take all the others.

And then there's the viewer perspective. In your shot of the Uber thinggy, the first thing that hit me was the lovely girl on the poster on the right, with the low-cut back on her dress. The same shot, and others saw something quite else.

In the end, I think we react not to what's just physically there, but to something else that triggers what's inside of us rather than what the shooter is trying to catch that suits his game plan.

Rob C

P.S. I think that the experiences/reactions we are both talking about constitute one of the factors that strongly influences my belief in a God and a hereafter. Take that away, and it would all be worthless baggage and Nature, in her ruthless efficiency, wouldn't have saddled us with it.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 04:40:28 am by Rob C »

Rob C

« Reply #989 on: September 17, 2015, 04:33:02 am »

Browser. Blurred on Safari, crisp on Chrome (both on Mac).

I'm usually on Internet Explorer because I know how, within it, to put things onto various 'favourite' lists, which are now all so long I couldn't face starting over on another system.

I tried both Firefox and Chrome and they worked fine! I'm on Windows 8 within a Classic Shell configuration just so I can understand it (a bit!). But I can't understand why these shold differ; I had thought that a digital signal was as basic as + or - and there was no room for error...

Thanks for researching it for me, Slobodan.

Rob C

BobDavid

« Reply #990 on: September 17, 2015, 08:40:19 am »

equally dead - a focus stack

This falls into the fine art category. A series on death and decay?

Rob C

« Reply #991 on: September 17, 2015, 09:13:43 am »

Anybody got a copy of The "Chirping" Crickets still playable?

Rob C

P.S.

The blurry caption glitch has been fixed; thanks, lads!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 09:19:19 am by Rob C »

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #992 on: September 18, 2015, 04:18:34 am »

Rob,

Peter

There was a Dr Who series, I remember from a long time ago, in which the enemies were all shop dummies, whose hands flipped down to reveal weapons. Reminds me of that. Creepy indeed.

Jeremy

PS: and a Google search reveals it was 1970, and in colour: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auton

graeme

« Reply #993 on: September 18, 2015, 06:24:14 am »

There was a Dr Who series, I remember from a long time ago, in which the enemies were all shop dummies, whose hands flipped down to reveal weapons. Reminds me of that. Creepy indeed.

Jeremy

PS: and a Google search reveals it was 1970, and in colour: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auton

Yep, I remember that one.

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #994 on: September 18, 2015, 06:51:35 am »

Jeremy

I remember that show, in the sense that it existed, never saw it...

Peter

Rob C

« Reply #995 on: September 18, 2015, 09:47:55 am »

I remember that show, in the sense that it existed, never saw it...

Peter

I love that concept, Peter: it's exactly what the illusive image is really all about: the suggestion of what might be there, could one but see it clearly enough to describe it instead of just feeling it.

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #996 on: September 18, 2015, 10:28:10 am »

It occured to me that this is actually WP2 and that the original purpose of this thread, for those not blessed with remarkable memories (or not here long enough to know) is lost in the mists of time.

To articulate again: there are several areas within LuLa where images can be posted for comment and advice on technique etc., both from the raw beginner's perspective to the pro section elsewhere. This thread was started on the premise that it should house images that are posted simply because the author likes them, and wants to share, in the belief that others may find something of spiritual interest in those images too.

Indeed, the expectation is that posters here already know what they are doing, don't want somebody telling them how it could be done 'better' and otherwise just be smart-ass at the poster's expense.

As such, I'm delighted to notice that recent comments here are pretty much exactly where I'd wanted this thread to go: it's interesting to see how other people respond to whatever has made the author make that picture, and I think that's where comments serve their most useful purpose. It's one thing feeling compelled to go click!, and quite another to see whether the motivation has been successfully transformed from original mental stimulation to visual representation. And it works in both directions: it's always interesting to get an entirely different reaction to the one felt at the moment of exposure.

So, yeah, thank's for the manner in which this is being carried out; it's very gratifying!

Rob C

P.S. Shoudda sed: if an image leaves you cold, then silence is certainly the kinder option! ;-)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 11:13:17 am by Rob C »

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #997 on: September 18, 2015, 10:58:48 am »

So, yeah, thank's for the manner in which this is being carried out; it's very gratifying!

Rob C
Rob, that calls for a celebration

With a nice pastry:

Or maybe a cool refreshing beer:

The pastry is from the place where historically the ships from the "Holland-America Line" departed for the US in the 20th century, the beer is from where the Pilgrim fathers departed a few centuries earlier to the same place.
pieter, aka pegelli

NancyP

« Reply #998 on: September 18, 2015, 11:19:34 am »

Buddy there looks like a katydid, not a cricket. Katydids are even louder.

Rob C

« Reply #999 on: September 18, 2015, 11:21:27 am »

Take care, pegelli, you might put on weight! Or not. I was always thin, regardless of eating absolutely everything that I liked, but I was also the dope to get the heart attacks!

One of the treats on our drives back to Scotland was going to M&S and buying their meringues and chocolate eclaires, and downing them with afternoon tea! Of such was heaven made, or so I imagined until later in life.

;-(

Rob C
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 11:36:43 am by Rob C »
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 137   Go Up