Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 137   Go Down

Author Topic: Without Prejudice 2  (Read 572166 times)

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
Re: Without Prejudice 2
« Reply #680 on: March 10, 2014, 04:28:41 am »

Peter, I think I might have to stop posting!

But then I guess everything that we do for ourselves is a form of self-examination. Before I had a decent camera and processing facilities (the converted loft in the family home) I was into painting. This was almost entirely due to my mother who dragged me to many galleries when I was a child under eight, and she also gathered a fine collection of books on painting and painters, which I absorbed like a sponge. I wanted to be a painter, but was thwarted by the system: I was denied art as a subject in my last school because it was deemed a class for dummies, and since my other subjects were not too bad and the school had ambitions to retain its leading place in the local school-leaving results tables, in which pursuit I was but a pawn amongst many, I was roundly discouraged by both system and, in truth, family. Art college demanded a Higher Art certificate (English version being A levels, + or -) which, obviously, I couldn't produce without being in the class...

In the end, I wasted a further four years before breaking into photography. In retrospect, not one damned part of photography has been an easy option...

Rob C

Rob,
Dont you dare stop the posts. It's the reason I come to this site. I enjoy your work and your insights.

Peter

Rob C

« Reply #681 on: March 10, 2014, 05:48:54 am »

Rob,
Dont you dare stop the posts. It's the reason I come to this site. I enjoy your work and your insights.

Peter

So now, not only do I hobble with a sore foot, I have to carry responsibilities?

;-)

Rob C

P.S. The foot is a story unto itself: I developed a corn under my foot, wasted time before going to the doc because some days it was painful but others I wasn't even aware it was there. Anyhow, when I went to see him, he said it had nothing to do with him or the health service, that I had to go see a foot person. Well, I went to her, she removed the offending corn without any pain at all, and I walked out with a slightly lighter wallet and rejoicing in the freedom of not worrying about the foot.

Unfortunately, I had carried the thing for so long that I'd altered my normal way of walking to compensate the pressures, and that has caused me as much discomfort now that I try to return to normal as did the corn. The past few days the foot has been quite swollen, and I've applied stuff to remove the inflammation, and it seems to be working a bit...

I actually remember a time when everything functioned as per design.

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #682 on: March 10, 2014, 06:35:51 am »

So now, not only do I hobble with a sore foot, I have to carry responsibilities?

;-)

Rob C

No Pressure, just pleasure.....?

Peter

muntanela

• BRATA
« Reply #683 on: March 10, 2014, 07:56:10 am »

Rob's foot  ;D

Rob C

« Reply #684 on: March 10, 2014, 11:38:11 am »

Rob's foot  ;D

You know, that, alternating with a hot tub, might just be the answer to the swelling! Let's face it: who on Lula ever read a post from a Swede with a swollen foot?

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #685 on: March 10, 2014, 11:39:55 am »

Okay, just to show I'm not all passive and softly romantic, here's a Weegee-mode interpretation.

Rob C
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 05:59:44 pm by Rob C »

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #686 on: March 10, 2014, 11:41:33 am »

Ah! The international man of mystery...

Peter

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #687 on: March 10, 2014, 12:23:13 pm »

Wonderful!
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #688 on: March 10, 2014, 02:59:43 pm »

Rob C

« Reply #689 on: March 10, 2014, 05:07:31 pm »

Intriguing shot, Rob.

You'd have your work cut out trying to achieve that DOF with the Oly.

Thank's Keith, Oly etc. aren't really, really going to happen: too many formative years with Nikon mould one into whatever it is comes out at the end of the process...

Just watched another rerun of the Fleetwood Mac video I have... Stevie sure was an amazing little icon. Looking at those years, it must have been quite something being in Los Angeles. But hey, you had London!

;-)

Rob C

muntanela

• BRATA
« Reply #690 on: March 10, 2014, 06:52:28 pm »

Okay, just to show I'm not all passive and softly romantic, here's a Weegee-mode interpretation.

Rob C

Masterful, as ever...

But... Weegee-mode? Where are blood and guts?

WalterEG

« Reply #691 on: March 10, 2014, 07:07:40 pm »

Masterful, as ever...

What Rob meant was that he was chomping on a big fat stogie as he took it (and possibly wearing a fedora and braces.)

armand

• Photos
« Reply #692 on: March 10, 2014, 07:29:03 pm »

And a short interruption to the bottle saga

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #693 on: March 10, 2014, 08:59:04 pm »

Nicely done, Armand!
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #694 on: March 11, 2014, 04:57:47 am »

Masterful, as ever...

It's all relative: the  very act of somebody being apprehended is bloody enough for some.

The trick is to get the action before the bullet hits! That takes anticipatory reflexes and a good sense of the decisive moment, a term that I've just coined to express the nuts of the pooch.

You do see what I mean, of course? Weegee the Elder was too slow. He waited for the sirens and then arrived after the thing had gone down. No horse-heads on the pillows for him - he would have been found somewhere else wearing a bib and shovelling pasta. In other words, he was a messy operator. The true art of any caped crusader lies in prevention: any old fool can come along later and make some snap, blow some smoke on the scene of the crime: people do it all the time, at parties, dances, in restaurants, on the beach, up mountains and in the subway, and when there's nothing else at which to point, they turn the weapon onto themselves.

Be grateful for television: it brings us game shows.

;-)

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #695 on: March 11, 2014, 05:01:23 am »

Rob, one of my fondest memories of the 60s was a visit to the Star, a rather down at heel pub in the roughest part of Croydon - an area of Sarf London for those who ain't acquainted wiv it - to see a band consisting of Peter Green, John McVie, Jeremy Spencer and of course Mick Fleetwood.

I believe they went on to greater things ;-)

That's because they added wimmin...

Rob C

armand

• Photos
« Reply #696 on: March 11, 2014, 12:35:03 pm »

The owls are not what they seem  - extra points for who can say from where this is without goggling

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #697 on: March 11, 2014, 01:26:58 pm »

The owls are not what they seem  - extra points for who can say from where this is without goggling

It is stuffed - the eyes are dead and glass and it is looking out of a shop window probably ...
Cheers
~Chris

armand

• Photos
« Reply #698 on: March 11, 2014, 04:50:04 pm »

It is stuffed - the eyes are dead and glass and it is looking out of a shop window probably ...
Cheers
~Chris

I should have been clearer, I was referring to the quote "The owls are not what they seem" which is from Twin Peaks.

As for this owl being dead all I can say is that it has hiding it quite well.

RobbieV

• My work.
« Reply #699 on: March 12, 2014, 03:33:56 pm »

A friend and I recently opened a beer he had been aging for 16 months. Until then I wasn't aware one could even age a beer.

I also caught some nice light hitting my Manhattan while waiting for a connection. The flight was better than the drink.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 137   Go Up