Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 137   Go Down

Author Topic: Without Prejudice 2  (Read 572840 times)

Rob C

Re: Without Prejudice 2
« Reply #380 on: November 09, 2013, 04:27:41 am »

Rob, this house provably has some of those elements you dreamt about. Tomorrow i'll post some of the few interiors I had the chance to take.
ACH

You enjoy making me suffer for my poverty?

;-)

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #381 on: November 09, 2013, 11:48:31 am »

I awoke to further confirmation that the next best thing to hope for is the local freakery known as the January Calms, when the sun reappears for a few teasing days, lulling one into that wonderfully false sense of security where one believes, despite experience, that the worst is passed.

Rain or not, nothing holds this intrepid Nikonisto back: I pulled out the Gitzo -yes, the big mother - set him up in the bedroom, opened the french windows and stuck the poor old bottle onto the tiny table-for-two (lots of wee bijou motifs around chez moi) that lives, all forlorn and abandoned at the other end of the terrace. Funny, I couldn’t imagine what I’d forgotten; of course! the camera. That caused another delay whilst I stuck on the 500 reflex again, opened the menu, eventually found the part where the plot revolves around non-CPU objectives, scrolled over the little list of them, and logged in the right one. Whew! (Digital is so fast!!)

Then time for innovation: I decided to see if the D700 did early morning Live View. It does. The FM that I did read, told me how. So behold: my very first exposure (and probably the last) with this function. If you have ever tried to mix MU, an electronic cable release and delayed action, all the while with the camera's dial set at LV, then you probably won’t choose to attempt to do it again. For several minutes I thought I’d effed the camera: it clicked away totally blacked out. After switching it all off, then turning it on again – steady – the image in the viewfinder had come back!

Yes, that new Nikon was a lost opportunity indeed…

Rob C

P.S. Trust me: the original is crisp; the glass, I meant.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 12:58:30 pm by Rob C »

ACH DIGITAL

• http://www.achdigital.com
« Reply #382 on: November 09, 2013, 01:01:26 pm »

Rob, I like your coke still lives. This one really shines. I like the  freshness of style.

As promised hera are the interiors. All 3 are layered exposures as they did not allow for lighting and cable around. Hope you guys enjoy. Backwards to the 50's !

ACH
Antonio Chagin
www.achdigital.com

Rob C

« Reply #383 on: November 09, 2013, 02:11:51 pm »

Toni,

Nice pictures and a strange construction. What is that area used for? I don't pick up on any furniture for sitting on - what do people do there? The light and reflections must have driven you mad!

My own idea had been for this wide open space with a small room carved into it to hold a darkroom - you can tell I was thinking these thoughts a long time ago - and the rest, left open, was to have had a white cove at one end allowing for infinity concepts. Of course, it would have been a waste of time, even if I'd had the money: the whole point of being here was really to make use of the locations for beach pix. However, it's always difficult to heave off the memories of things one used to do, and always the expectation that they might have to be done again.

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #384 on: November 10, 2013, 05:28:29 pm »

Tried this with the little Slik sitting on top of a thick(ish) carpet; sort of self-defeating in a way.

Similar, shot with 2.8/180mm Nikkor worked well in black/white; here's another in colour instead, but with, I think, the 500 Reflex (I used both this evening, but can't remember which this is, for sure, but I do think it was the 500. No doubt going back to Capture would tell me, but what the hell.

Rob C

http://youtu.be/2EdgsWU56XA
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 12:58:49 pm by Rob C »

WalterEG

« Reply #385 on: November 10, 2013, 06:32:36 pm »

I like it a lot Rob,

But the bokeh does not look like that of the 500 Cat.

Rob C

« Reply #386 on: November 11, 2013, 03:42:22 am »

I like it a lot Rob,

But the bokeh does not look like that of the 500 Cat.

Hi Walter,

Thanks for the comment; I checked the details in Nikon's NX2 and these are:

8/500mm @ f8 (obviously!) and 1/10th of a sec. exposure on ISO 200.

My usual guide to Photoreflexology (!) is the circular highlights in OOF areas; but sometimes, as in the previous shot in the rain on the white metal table, these don't happen and we get an elongation effect instead, following the broad shape of the highlit leaves.

In this latest case, nothing particuarly distinguishing re. highlights at all, unfortunately - not enough spatial separation.

Ciao -

Rob C
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 09:30:24 am by Rob C »

ACH DIGITAL

« Reply #387 on: November 11, 2013, 11:31:21 am »

Toni,

Nice pictures and a strange construction. What is that area used for? I don't pick up on any furniture for sitting on - what do people do there? The light and reflections must have driven you mad!

My own idea had been for this wide open space with a small room carved into it to hold a darkroom - you can tell I was thinking these thoughts a long time ago - and the rest, left open, was to have had a white cove at one end allowing for infinity concepts. Of course, it would have been a waste of time, even if I'd had the money: the whole point of being here was really to make use of the locations for beach pix. However, it's always difficult to heave off the memories of things one used to do, and always the expectation that they might have to be done again.

Rob C

Rob,

The original furniture is scattered around the house. The space is now been used for small concerts as the house has an amazing sound acoustics. There's a lot to say about this place, even weired staff. In the studio, the wooden panels walls are reversible, they turn around help by an electrical motor and chains, from a classical studio to hunting trophies room. bah!!! Maybe it was fashionable those times.

Looking at your still lives I guess you like ManRay's. Not to be offensive in anyway.

ACH
Antonio Chagin
www.achdigital.com

Rob C

« Reply #388 on: November 11, 2013, 03:33:29 pm »

Rob,

The original furniture is scattered around the house. The space is now been used for small concerts as the house has an amazing sound acoustics. There's a lot to say about this place, even weired staff. In the studio, the wooden panels walls are reversible, they turn around help by an electrical motor and chains, from a classical studio to hunting trophies room. bah!!! Maybe it was fashionable those times.

Looking at your still lives I guess you like ManRay's. Not to be offensive in anyway.

ACH

Toni, certainly no offence taken!

To be honest with you, I have not really had a history of any great interest in still life photography. I was briefly a member of a camera club (the factory had a darkroom when I did not) and never forgot the reaction when I put in an image for one of those ‘shows’ they apparently held every now and again. It was of a Chianti bottle with traditional straw base, a mandolin and some other Italian-themed stuff I found lying about the house. (I wasn’t married – I was young, obviously, or camera clubs wouldn’t have held any attractions even with darkrooms.)  I still think it was a good shot, but that’s possibly the remains of distant ego; anyway, I was told that the thing was “far too commercial” for a show. I took it as a compliment. It wasn’t meant to be. As I wrote, I was young. I constructed myself a loft darkroom very quickly after that.

The period of the 60s and 70s was a magical one in Britain for advertising imagery; there were very clever whisky and cigarette posters all over the place – you could take a White Horse anywhere, I discovered, with some star photographers actually leaving a Hasselblad A12 back in-shot!  Courvoisier did some beautiful artist’s studio imagery stuff with Adrian Flowers, I think it was. Tobacco, in the shape of little cigars, did much for the pin-up model industry. Even the delights of the sweet tooth, wrapped in glossy cellophane, took one to tropical islands with yet more girls and sunlight and palms. Let’s not even think about the travel opportunities provided by shampoo! Bergasol sun cream: twin bums, one tanned and the other not so well. No wonder people sat at home of an evening watching commercials or, perchance, spent long hours tucked up cosily at the movies with their chick under their arm and even more (and better) advertising pulchritude up on the silver screen, just in case they felt the need to come up for air now and again. Or to enjoy an ice cream. Those usherettes were certainly worth looking at, I seem to remember.

The delights of airport concourses were made even more irresistible by those fabulous, shiny, large-format photography still life adverts for fascinatingly named drinks nobody actually seemed to buy oop north. Well, yes, they did buy some of the normal stuff available in Britain, but much of the exotica was destined for export only, the expensive images designed to influence travellers in the Duty-Free. I think there were more sub-brands of export whisky than nationally distributed stuff. Just like cigarettes, in that respect.

Which has little to do with Coke bottles, especially empty ones. Why do I shoot this one so often? Because it’s all I can think of at the moment; it’s available whenever I feel the urge; gives me a link (direction?) between shots, and it’s free. Can’t say that about any girl right now.

;-)

Rob C

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #389 on: November 11, 2013, 05:08:19 pm »

Rob,

As I understand it you were first drawn to the sensuous curves of a Chianti bottle and later moved on to more flexible, sensuous curves, so the Coke bottle has perhaps the nicest curves you can find around the house now.

If I had to choose between your earlier, professional photos and the newer, Coke series, I would likely choose the "pro" shots. But the Coke series is still quite stunning, and I look forward to more of them.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #390 on: November 12, 2013, 04:25:35 am »

Hi guys,

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement - it all helps to give an added reason for doing some of the things that we do...

Yes, Keith, travel indeed. I do think that I've always needed a purpose to travel: it was seldom enough to do the 'holiday' thing, possibly because all of my early travel was to do with domestic relocation because of family employment reasons etc. and not something about leisure. That experience spread into my own, adult life and I did most of my globetrotting with a professional cameras in hand, taking me wherever I was destined to go. And yes, I think I do mean destined - much/most of what happened in my life was probably in spite of my best efforts to eff it up, which I was sometimes able to do quite effectively - unfortunately...

As you might remember, The Canal du Midi thing has been playing on in my mind over the last few years, and I have met a couple of guys here who have taken boats through the thing, and the consensus seems to be that it's a lovely experience, but that one really needs younger bodies to do the pretty regular battle with locks etc, climbing steel ladders and generally being pretty nimble of foot. Moi?

I’ve considered doing it by car, instead, tracing the route along the waterway as much as is possible, but another chap I sometimes lunch with did that, and felt that it was a very poor and limited imitation of what he’d managed by boat.

The ideal is the holiday barge; it was something well illustrated (the experience) in the memorable Rick Stein cookalong series on his float from the Atlantic to the Mediterranean. Looking up decent Canal du Midi cruises on the Internet reveals that it’s millionaire territory – yet once again! Why are all the desirable things so reserved? Never mind, it’s all part of life’s juices and keeps us thinking thoughts of lottery wins and that kind of thing; I do have faith: the figures reveal that somebody always wins, even if they really are getting my share, poor devils. There is always next time!

What I have found in life is that doing things on the cheap is not for me, especially as I get older. Bumming along, concerned with survival, deprives one of time to enjoy the very thing one is trying to experience – you need mental and spiritual freedom to achieve that state of joy. At least, I seem to require it. That’s the difference between a well-financed commercial trip somewhere and doing it off the sweat of your own credit card. It’s also why I can’t bring myself to hire models for personal photography: money creates a barrier, a pressure that I find almost impossible to overcome. It was so pronounced with trips: when both the girls and I were being paid to shoot, we both felt free and motivated; when it was my money as in stock, I felt cramped and worried about wasting it and/or getting the best out of the investment, not conducive to great stuff at all. Doesn’t happen with a bottle!

Eric – if I get rich, I’ll do you a personal shot including both model and bottle; I promise to keep the bottle crisp.

;-)

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #391 on: November 12, 2013, 11:27:13 am »

Today I broke out all the juices and exposed the sensor to a variety of situations. The first one was with breakfast, and happened when I switched off the news in disgust. The next one was a planned shot, scheduled to be made in the restaurant during lunch, but a guy sat down right in front of me and blocked the shot I was going to take later, along with my cafe solo, so I got zilch from that. I then wandered the usual wander along the boatyard and was going to make some pix of my friendly bottle facing the bay, but the wind was too strong, so I ended up somewhere quite else, holding the bottle in my hand because I couldn't keep it from blowing over if I let it go.

Also, being unable to focus by hand since both were doing something else, for the first time ever I thought that af would have been a boon. Dangerous precedent.

Now, if I'd shot in the eatery right away, not trying to be smart about it and getting the perfect frame later when more OOF people had filled out the background, I'd have a shot...

I include one of the shots I did get - obviously not by the sea, but you probably deduced that.

This one was on the 50mm.

;-)

Rob C
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 01:02:32 pm by Rob C »

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #392 on: November 13, 2013, 01:04:44 am »

Well done, Rob!  The best so far.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Rob C

« Reply #393 on: November 13, 2013, 04:00:20 am »

Thank you, Mike; now for a hand-held hand-held from yesterday's gale experiences.

Really enjoy my new-old 2/35mm; it's predecessor was an f2.8 version that was very crisp, but in those days I wasn't much able to use very (relatively speaking) shallow DOF - had to get my victims sharp - mainly all over: gotta see the stitches, man.

Rob C
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 01:02:46 pm by Rob C »

francois

« Reply #394 on: November 13, 2013, 08:00:45 am »

Rob, I love your various interpretations of the curvy bottle! Keep them coming…
Francois

Rob C

« Reply #395 on: November 13, 2013, 10:09:41 am »

Rob, I love your various interpretations of the curvy bottle! Keep them coming…

Thanks, Francois; several stored up - always get more than one from each attempt, but should really think about organizing them for the website. Problem is, I'm either walking, eating, sleeping (badly) or worrying about things that may never happen, and so the site gets neglected. It used to be much easier when I played with the cellphone. No idea why - they took as long to produce, but getting them posted was somehow more simple. Maybe because I did sleep better and so had more energy. But my Rolling Stones facial-arts lines are getting more pronounced, so can't all be bad.

I like this girl's accent a lot. I also like the tune - a real sucker for broken-hearts stuff. Always was, even when life was all sunshine and roses. As I said above, I always did worry too much. Okay, like a broken watch, comes the time I'm right.

;-)

Rob C

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Af5TefYro8U

ACH DIGITAL

« Reply #396 on: November 14, 2013, 09:51:53 am »

Why do I shoot this one so often? Because it’s all I can think of at the moment; it’s available whenever I feel the urge; gives me a link (direction?) between shots, and it’s free. Can’t say that about any girl right now.

Rob, certainly a growing exercise, mostly because is always the same object which lead you to be clever and creative.

Myself I'm in the middle of a dilema with some still live serie that I'm trying to put together. Maybe you guys could give me some sort of light to show me the way.
The dilema starts because I have notice that to the few people that I have sowed it, the response is plain blankness. No emotions.
I like to know your honest opinions on this. My ego is not on this set of images I can tell you, so you won't heart my feelings. >:(

I'll show you a couple.

Thanks
Antonio Chagin
www.achdigital.com

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #397 on: November 14, 2013, 12:35:38 pm »

Antonio,

I hope I'm allowed to say on this thread that I like them both a lot. They are very moody and visceral and really appeal to my emotions.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

ACH DIGITAL

« Reply #398 on: November 14, 2013, 12:47:10 pm »

Thank you Eric, of course you are allow to an opinion. I like that word "visceral". Provably is really me in there.

ACH
Antonio Chagin
www.achdigital.com

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #399 on: November 14, 2013, 01:27:40 pm »

Antonio, that is simply beautiful photography! Moody and filled with symbolism and allegory.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 137   Go Up