Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 137   Go Down

Author Topic: Without Prejudice 2  (Read 572245 times)

Rob C

Re: Without Prejudice 2
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2013, 03:01:57 pm »

Hey, that's a nice snow shot!

We get snow sometimes, usually over about 600 metres, and that always means closed mountain roads. Trouble is, where people are not accustomed to snow/ice on the roads, they don't realise just how out of control it can make your vehicle become. Its just the same with rain: if it comes after a long summer drought, the oil and road grease that suddenly gets wet is lethal, and the tailgaters are something to wonder at - if you aren't on the same bit of road.

But, rain, hail, snow or ice, nothing is as frightening as the cyclists-in-lycra: they have no idea at all about white lines, roundabouts and borders.  I am sure they are all on drugs from the moment they board their flights out here. Pity we can't send them all to Cyprus instead.

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2013, 04:10:14 pm »

One for Walter.

As the skies got darker, Hassy just got lighter!

;-)

Rob C
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 04:08:11 am by Rob C »

WalterEG

« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2013, 04:15:55 pm »

Fascinating shot Rob!

Very Euro approach in my opinion.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2013, 05:08:49 pm »

cmi

« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2013, 06:16:01 pm »

Pretty much my only "serious" image last year, not really in the mood of shooting anything right now...

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2013, 06:41:45 pm »

Pretty much my only "serious" image last year, not really in the mood of shooting anything right now...

Too bad... this looks promising.

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2013, 07:21:25 pm »

Slobodan! I see you've dug out of all the snow.  ;D
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

cmi

« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2013, 07:30:05 pm »

Too bad... this looks promising.

You know, I was often too eager to get "something good", resulting in wild snapping of pretty much trivial stuff :) Its about gaining distance from that mindless shooting, about looking. So the break is quite good for me :)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2013, 07:38:36 pm »

Slobodan! I see you've dug out of all the snow.  ;D

And replaced it with ice! ;)

Ice formations on Lake Superior, Minnesota, early morning, three days ago:

Rob C

« Reply #69 on: March 29, 2013, 05:10:53 am »

What a difference a continent makes!

Whilst in the States Slobodan struggles with icy survival, here in southern Europe, cradle of civilization, the world accelerates at unprecedented pace: yesterday brought you the new pocket Hasselblad 500 Series, with today marking the unveiling of the even newer Leica Matchbox Color, its unique selling feature being that you can be pretending to strike a light whilst actually sneaking a shot. Really hot.

Rob C
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 04:08:27 am by Rob C »

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #70 on: March 29, 2013, 12:24:48 pm »

Hi Rob, You've been putting some great cell shots on here. Wish I could see them a bit larger. How about making your max dimension 8 inches when you post 'em?
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #71 on: March 29, 2013, 01:29:56 pm »

Hi Rob, You've been putting some great cell shots on here. Wish I could see them a bit larger. How about making your max dimension 8 inches when you post 'em?

Hi Russ,

Thanks for the kind remark!

Maybe, though, that's why I keep 'em maxed at 600 pixels: could break up if I go larger, but I don't know for sure because I seldom see them large. Also, I find that I have to reduce them to around that same published size when I work on them: if I go larger I seem to lose the ability to keep the shapes controlled in my head, and have to scan a bit... Hope it's not tunnel vision creeping in on top of everything else!

Thanks again -

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #72 on: March 29, 2013, 01:39:26 pm »

Okay, now for the Secret Agent Spy Camera adaptor that fits inside one of the beads hanging at the back of the bandana: the trick is that you make the exposure as you're walking away. Who would think!

;-)

Rob C
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 04:08:46 am by Rob C »

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2013, 01:44:06 pm »

I second the motion.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #74 on: March 29, 2013, 01:48:23 pm »

I second the motion.

It's a friggin' conspiracy!

;-)

Rob C

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #75 on: March 29, 2013, 07:32:33 pm »

It's a friggin' conspiracy!

;-)

Rob C
At least we're not asking you to get one of those humongous MF (i.e., Moster Fotomachines) to give us 20 meter by 50 meter panoramas.
 :D
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2013, 04:40:17 am »

At least we're not asking you to get one of those humongous MF (i.e., Moster Fotomachines) to give us 20 meter by 50 meter panoramas.
 :D

Lesson #1 from School of Hard Knocks: He who giveth an inch shall lose a ...

On to something completely different: I watched the opening scenes from No Country for Old Men last night - I always seemed to have missed them before (I didn't stay up to watch much of the rest because I'd caught that on several earlier attempts) - and I have to say, the early dawn shots are spectacular, especially in how they avoid all of that stlls photography obsession with maximum detail in shadows, etc. One shot in particular, of some broken-down posts with wires, blew the top of my head open. It was also amazing how pure black silhouettes of mountains can be so dramatic. Sometimes, huge DR isn't everyone's best friend. Trouble is, it's a discipline that seems to require a lot of early morning starts... can't cheat by using sunsets because the air ain't clean and you lose the effect of starkness. Leica M6 and Velvia 50, anyone?

I've remarked before that cinematographers often have a far more exciting take on landscape than any regular landscape shooter's work with which I'm familiar. There's a greater sense of dynamics, a williingness to use OTT framing ideas that seem to be anathema to stills people. As I mentioned, especially noticed last night was the use of absolute blacks, which currently cause great anxiety amongst some posters here on LuLa this weather.

Go to the movies - even if you stay at home!

;-)

Rob C
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 04:44:47 am by Rob C »

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2013, 08:32:13 am »

Sometimes, huge DR isn't everyone's best friend.

Rob C

The limitations of film were it's very magic. Frankly most HDR and huge Dr render very anonymous pictures.

Peter

Rob C

« Reply #78 on: March 30, 2013, 01:17:04 pm »

Well, for better of for worse, this is the first effort with the new-old 2/35mm AIS Nikkor wide open at f2. As I said, for better or for worse. Not sure if that's hellish fall-off or just the subject... oh well, 'painterly' covers a lot of sins.

;-)

Rob C

P.S. This is strange: all the shots made with the cellphone open on clicking as enlarged images in the original space below the post. This new camera shot, for some reason I don't grasp, doesn't do that: it opens up in a separate window... could that be because it's a bit larger than normal for me? If so, it's back to 600 pixels over the picture!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 04:09:46 am by Rob C »

Rocco Penny

« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2013, 01:50:54 pm »

also you must make sure you have the text sized at 100% for the photo to display correctly-
text size= picture zoom for you hard of hearing types
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 137   Go Up