Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why not just use a cell phone?  (Read 24375 times)

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Re: Why not just use a cell phone?
« Reply #100 on: February 08, 2013, 02:51:54 pm »

James,

At this point I'm really starting to wonder whether the limited device is not the big pro SLR. It is getting so you almost need a license over here to carry one around in public.

I had major issues here in Paris with any type of indoor photography, be it with an SLR or with my Leica, until I finally switched to an iPhone, and now nobody dares to object, because capturing cellphone souvenirs has almost become a human right!

Edmund

My point is if anyone spends the cash for a camera that costs more than a Point and Shoot casio, they probably have aspirations of shooting something better than a cell phone photo, or capturing that one weird news event that ends up on cops.

I assume they want to improve their talents and end result.

I'm not against a cell phone that shoots well, I just find it non interesting.  Just because I have a device in my pocket that "can" take a photo doesn't mean that's the process of making a photograph.

IMO

BC
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 03:00:28 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Rob C

« Reply #101 on: February 08, 2013, 03:14:46 pm »

BC

I remember the b/w ballet girls; a lovely shot, regardless of camera. Whether it owes anything to an M8 is moot, but there's nothing there tone-wise the either of us couldn't have got with our D700 cameras. What ¡s remarkable is that the shot was made. That's why it's a good one: a good idea in a good location and a good opportunity caught.

Just be happy: it worked well!

Regarding the chat about cellphones: I think it's here on the (hopefully) more pro section of Lula because cameras affect all of us, and to close our eyes to what's going down does us no favours. Nope, I wouldn't use one on a job either, were such an unexpected thing to come my way again, but neither do I want not to know...

Rob C

eronald

« Reply #102 on: February 08, 2013, 05:57:49 pm »

Regarding the chat about cellphones: I think it's here on the (hopefully) more pro section of Lula because cameras affect all of us, and to close our eyes to what's going down does us no favours. Nope, I wouldn't use one on a job either, were such an unexpected thing to come my way again, but neither do I want not to know...

Rob C

In a year or so the Google glasses will be out, so people in the general population are going to be recording their POV. Now that will revolutionize the news gathering business, and add a new meaning to the term "Eyewitness".

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

theguywitha645d

« Reply #103 on: February 08, 2013, 06:51:35 pm »

Well, my last trip to Paris, I got all my street photography from Google maps and I did not have to leave my home in the States.

eronald

« Reply #104 on: February 08, 2013, 06:54:54 pm »

According to technologists, Google Glasses could allow humans to interact with their surroundings in a much more dynamic and instantaneous way.

A small screen sits on the right-size of the right lens, along with a camera, microphone and speakers, meaning, potentially, that the user could point the camera at, say, subway passengers and use facial recognition software to inform them of their name, occupation and everything else, such as the time they wore an embarrassing outfit on a train.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/sergey-brin-spotted-on-new-york-subway-wearing-google-glasses-8460790.html

theguywitha645d

« Reply #105 on: February 08, 2013, 09:00:46 pm »

Well, I can just see drivers use them--it will make texting while driving drunk seem responsible.

eronald

« Reply #106 on: October 29, 2013, 11:19:42 am »

I would not have expected a cellphone to win against the D800
This guy found out that if you use a typical consumer zoom and no tripod the Lumia will be better by far.
http://evan-theelectricalengineer.blogspot.co.il/2013/10/nikon-d800e-vs-nokia-lumia-1020.html

His write up is interesting.

As an amateur photographer, and professional electrical engineer :) I don't think he had a particularly bad Nikon or particularly bad technique, and actually the bridge images are quite atmospheric.

It's possible that Nikon could improve things by providing a stabiliser on the D800 and upping their game on lenses to the point where an average lens can do 36MP, but the point is precisely that they have not done so.

Apparently the latest Nokia firmware enable Raw. As soon as this phone gets dumped on ebay I'm buying one.
Edmund
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 11:21:40 am by eronald »

julienlanoo

« Reply #107 on: October 30, 2013, 07:41:59 am »

Problem in France is that everyone thinks to know the law :p .. Any how i take a "copy" of the correct article with me ..

Try shooting in Monaco, forget it without 3 different authorisations :p

jduncan

« Reply #108 on: October 30, 2013, 09:01:37 am »

Why not use a cell phone? Because someone might call and annoy me.

No words needed just great comment.

:)
english is not my first language, an I k
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up