Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Ordered my 9900!  (Read 16326 times)

Mike Guilbault

• Mike Guilbault Photography
Re: Ordered my 9900!
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2013, 07:21:59 am »

ouuuu... low blow Ken! ;)  I've been monitoring my humidity for the past couple of weeks and it's been steady at about 38 to 42% - 38% at the lowest even during the cold snap of -32 celsius.  I'm hoping that consistency will help matters with clogging.
Mike Guilbault

John Caldwell

« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2013, 07:52:11 am »

Following with interest, Mike. Ironically my 9900 was also to have been delivered yesterday, but I had to cancel because the team of movers that I've hired to carry to printer from the lift gate point to the studio space couldn't come. But you and I are neck & neck!

Do you happen to recall a link to the assembly video? Possibly it's one of the Lexjet Youtube videos.  I should watch that/those before we reattempt the delivery and installation next week.

Thanks and good luck with your printer, Mike.

John-
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 07:55:37 am by John Caldwell »

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2013, 09:34:54 am »

There's a few of them around... but I believe this is the one I watched

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZJhFc4tpwo

put out by DTG in Tampa.

My 9900 is supposed to be here between 10:30 and noon today, but the weather and streamers coming in off the lake are horrible.  Crossing my fingers!
Mike Guilbault

KenBabcock

« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2013, 10:55:56 am »

ouuuu... low blow Ken! ;)  I've been monitoring my humidity for the past couple of weeks and it's been steady at about 38 to 42% - 38% at the lowest even during the cold snap of -32 celsius.  I'm hoping that consistency will help matters with clogging.

I just had to, Mike! ;)

I've never had any serious clogging on any of my printers, ever, and we do live fairly close to each other so the temps and climate are identical.

Have fun with it.  We know what you're doing today.

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2013, 01:36:16 pm »

GOT IT!

First of all, many thanks to Luca and Paul for coming out to help me.  Luca's put a few of these together before so we had it on the stand in no time.  It took longer to unpack it than the initial set up.  I've still got to connect it, build the print basket and set up, but at least it's here! 

Any luck with yours John?
Mike Guilbault

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2013, 04:49:25 pm »

Applause!  The crooked frame on the wall speaks volumes.

framah

« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2013, 05:12:04 pm »

Heavy little bugger, ain't it!!

You should have seen us when we assembled my 11880!!  Hernias were popping, eyes were bulging, backs were being thrown, hearts were stopping!!

I distinctly remember alot of wishing going on about being younger.

Congrats!!
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2013, 11:41:24 pm »

I hear ya framah!  And the crooked frame is a mirror for clients to check their hair and such before a portrait session.  Got tired of trying to keep it straight so just permanently tilted it.  Like I teach my photography students, if you're going to make your horizons crooked, tilt it like you mean it!
Mike Guilbault

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2013, 11:45:17 pm »

Nairb... just noticed your post that I missed earlier.  I did not get the extended warranty, yet.  I've never purchased extended warranties in the past for anything.  I know a repair may cost a lot, but from all the money I've saved over the years by not purchasing one on everything there is, I figure I'm way ahead in the long run.  So, I'm still deciding, but I doubt it.

I'm about 1.5 hours from Toronto so not too bad... but I'll cross that bridge if I ever need to.  Basically, I'm not worried.
Mike Guilbault

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2013, 11:53:42 pm »

You've got a year to decide if you want to extend your warranty....

ken

bill t.

« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2013, 12:55:46 am »

If I had bought an extended warranty for every 24" inch or larger printer I have owned, it would have cost me well over the list price of two, 44" printers.  Have yet to need a warranty service visit, although I'm pretty sure I was just weeks away from one with my old 9880.  Plan B is to skip the warranty, and use the saved samolies to buy a new printer every 2 or 3 years during one of those inevitable December sales.  Knock on wood.

Benny Profane

« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2013, 08:51:32 am »

Just to chime in here about extended warranties and reliability. I work in an in-house creative shop with three 9900s, and only once has one needed a doctor's visit (over five years). Before that I worked in a pre press shop for three years with four 9880s humming along, and never did one go down. Very reliable machines. But, all of them saw a LOT of volume. Can not speak for a machine that just sits there a lot.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2013, 10:44:52 am »

The first 9900s were available in the winter 2008-2009 after the introduction at the Photokina 2008.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
December 2012, 500+ inkjet media white spectral plots.

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2013, 11:45:09 am »

Congratulations on getting it in the studio with body and machine parts relatively intact.

What is going to be the first full size print you run through it?

Are you gonna give it (the printer, that is; not the first print) a name?

bill t.

« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2013, 12:22:14 pm »

Are you gonna give it (the printer, that is; not the first print) a name?

Yes absolutely, anything with as much personality as a printer needs a name!

As I began to understand her, I came to think of my old 9880 as Mistress Betty.

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2013, 01:54:18 pm »

ahhh.. got the printer.. but now I can't afford the paper! :o

I'm going to do some test prints first - on a few images that I have already printed on my 4900 on 17" rolls.  I purchased a couple of 24" rolls with the printer (which gave me free shipping and cost about the same amount anyway), a CPN and Premium Lustre - so those will be my next 'large' prints. 

I'd really like to see the Exhibition Canvas Matte Natural that just came out recently before deciding on a 44" roll of anything.

One note... after charging the ink, I still have more than 50%, probably closer to 60% of the starter inks available, except for the LK which is at about 30%.

As far as a name.... not sure yet, but I'm confident that something appropriate will come up.
Mike Guilbault

bill t.

« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2013, 02:35:09 pm »

Try a roll of Epson Exhibition Canvas Gloss, the older unnatural version which is acid-free unlike the new Natural stuff.  Prints like a good baryta paper and has the gamut to match.  If you can tolerate a little surface acidity, Black Diamond Canvas from IJ Technologies will one-up any other media of any type in every way except surface smoothness.

davidh202

« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2013, 10:36:53 pm »

just a little note.
I used the plastic that the printer was wrapped in to use as a cover (taped the two pieces together) Keep the printer covered nightly! And don't forget to save the little door stop packing thingy from under the print head, in case you ever need to move the printer to a different location.
Enjoy it!

David 

Mike Guilbault

« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2013, 10:40:14 pm »

opps.. already trashed the plastic but I did keep the print-head 'stop'.  Fortunately, I don't get much dust where I am but a cover of some sort may be a good idea.  Do others use a cover of some sort?
Mike Guilbault

davidh202

« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2013, 11:29:47 pm »

The cover not only protects from dust but also from drafts and serves to keep moisture within the confines of the machine, helping to keep the ink in the capping station from drying too fast .
Dont bother with a fancy cover just get some   painter plastic drop cloth material big enough to cover the machine floor to floor from the front and back and drape the sides. I think about 8 x 12 feet ;-)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up