Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: Sigma DP3 Merrill Experiences  (Read 280220 times)

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
Re: Sigma DP3 Merrill Experiences
« Reply #320 on: November 22, 2013, 04:35:15 am »

Kevin.

lelouarn

« Reply #321 on: November 22, 2013, 05:14:49 am »

The picture of the eye is really stunning !

I remember seeing in a french magazine (maybe 15 years ago) a series of pictures of only eyes. The eyes were magnified to fill the entire frame and isolated (presumably by stretching the eyelid out of the way), so that one could only see the eye in isolation. It was beautiful (I also remember Jean d'Ormesson was among "the eyes"). Certainly your friends eye would deserve such a "treatment".

It must be quite difficuly though - lots of magnification to fill the frame with the eye (so camera close to the eye), and the lighting must be tricky too.

Anyway, beautiful picture...

MrSmith27

« Reply #322 on: November 22, 2013, 05:40:27 am »

Amazon craziness. I don't like it: On the German amazon until a few days ago the DP3M sold for about EUR 800, then it suddenly dropped to EUR 730 (so I bought one), and later the same day it dropped to EUR 530, now it's up at 570.

This is insanity.

I also think it's not a very good idea for Sigma to reduce the Merrill prices. These are more technical cameras than point and shots and, considering the image quality, were a steal at EUR 1000. I think by reducing the price they are actually not doing themselves a favor: Like it or not the actual target demographic might think cheap=bad and those in the market for a Canon S120 will probably not like the Merrills.

NancyP

« Reply #323 on: November 22, 2013, 11:35:02 am »

On the other hand, once enthusiasts and pros have tried a Foveon sensor, they get quite interested. I am a mere enthusiast, and despite the PITA of having dual workflow for x3f and Bayer CFA RAW data, I am enjoying the camera the more I work with it and SPP. First DP2M, then after a year, DP3M (WOW), and now I am looking at eBay and dealers for used or new DP1M. I noticed that there are VERY FEW used DP#M on the market. Few cameras have been sold new, but if first time users are being alienated, I would expect to see more used copies. Nope - there might be one new posting of a used camera, worldwide, per week at best.

Misirlou

• http://
« Reply #324 on: November 22, 2013, 04:09:47 pm »

On the other hand, once enthusiasts and pros have tried a Foveon sensor, they get quite interested. I am a mere enthusiast, and despite the PITA of having dual workflow for x3f and Bayer CFA RAW data, I am enjoying the camera the more I work with it and SPP. First DP2M, then after a year, DP3M (WOW), and now I am looking at eBay and dealers for used or new DP1M. I noticed that there are VERY FEW used DP#M on the market. Few cameras have been sold new, but if first time users are being alienated, I would expect to see more used copies. Nope - there might be one new posting of a used camera, worldwide, per week at best.

That's true. I got my DP2M used, from a guy in Korea, at a rather slim discount over new. I don't know whether they'll ever reach critical mass in the marketplace, but holy cow do these things make great pictures.

ron ritcher

« Reply #325 on: November 22, 2013, 09:17:16 pm »

Nancy,

Regarding your being on the lookout for a DP1, I've sent you a pm...

Ron

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
« Reply #326 on: November 23, 2013, 02:31:33 pm »

Sometimes, buying immediately is better: witness the Rootes Group's Hillman Imp.

My maw'n'lo bought one of the very first off the line - they were built within ten miles of her house. I had a little Ford Popular at the time, and it was reaching its fifth or sixth birthday and I wanted something newer, more radical. I tried out her Imp and it was a revelation in acceleration and the benefit of an opening tailgate window. (Think 9ft Colorama background rolls.) So, off went the Pop and in came the Imp. Except. Except that the Coventry Climax engine that had allowed the excitement has subsequently been detuned, and the suspension altered somewhat too, I felt.

Sometimes they do get it right first time and then eff it up later.

Rob C

Imps had a habit of frying the front passengers in a collision due to the fuel tank being over their legs.
The Coventry Climax was used in lots of vehicles, including some hydroplanes I would watch every Thursday night on Oulton Broad. :-)
Kevin.

mikechen

« Reply #327 on: November 24, 2013, 01:13:31 am »

Amazon craziness. I don't like it: On the German amazon until a few days ago the DP3M sold for about EUR 800, then it suddenly dropped to EUR 730 (so I bought one), and later the same day it dropped to EUR 530, now it's up at 570.
Wow,  I just checked www.amazon.de and the DP3 Merrill is going for Euro 475 (for orders shipped to the U.S.) plus shipping for about Euro 17.  Taking the purchase all the way to the end, the total is Euro 493 for the Sigma DP3 Merrill and 5-10 business day shipping to the U.S., which comes to about US$667, as of November 23.

I'll have to have my German friend review this to make sure I'm not making any mistakes translating the site (you can also use Google Chrome which can do an auto translation of the page).

There is no VAT, since it is being shipped out of the EC. The posted price is Euro 566, but when I add it to the shopping basket for shipping to the U.S., the price drops to Eur 475, and then adds Eur 17 shipping.

I've had DVDs shipped to me from the UK, and there was a small shipping fee, but no additional duty, so i think this should be a final price of US$667, once converted.  I will use a Capital One credit card which doesn't charge a foreign conversion fee, and I plan to order in Euro.

Will  let you know what happens.

If anyone knows if there are any US import duty or taxes that apply, please post that info.  I haven't seen anything mentioned online yet.

-Mike

EDIT:  Note that this price is only for orders shipped to the US. This is what the order page looks like:

Bestellungsübersicht
Artikel:   EUR 475,56
Verpackung & Versand:   EUR 16,99
Gesamtbetrag:   EUR 492,55
Oben genannte Preise verstehen sich inklusive Mehrwertsteuer. Informationen anzeigen.

Lieferung voraussichtlich:  30. November 2013 - 6. Dezember 2013

Sigma Merrill DP3 Digitalkamera (46 Megapixel, 7,6 cm (3 Zoll) LCD-Display, SD-/SDXC-Kartenslot) schwarz
von Sigma
EUR 475,56
Nur noch 4 auf Lager (mehr ist unterwegs).
Anzahl: 1 Ändern Menge von Sigma Merrill DP3 Digitalkamera (46 Megapixel, 7,6 cm (3 Zoll) LCD-Display, SD-/SDXC-Kartenslot) schwarz aus 1
Verkauf durch: Amazon EU S.a.r.L.
Geschenkoptionen

The site below has discussion regarding the issue of duty when importing from Germany to the U.S.:

http://photo.net/leica-rangefinders-forum/00ZQX6

Attached is a screen capture of the order email from Amazon.de
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 01:50:17 am by mikecalif »

ron ritcher

« Reply #328 on: November 24, 2013, 01:26:18 am »

RE: Sigma's Pricing Yo-Yo . . .

Interesting stuff about European pricing for the DP Merrills; noticed that B&H hasn't budged -- yet.  I have just listed a DP1M in the "For Sale" folder here at LuLa, but really had no idea a fair price to ask.  SO, if you notice the listing, and are at all interested, please shoot me an offer via PM.  Thanks!

Anyone want to guess what's up at Sigma?  Why Europe and not the U.S?  Seems strange for sure . . .

Ron

MrSmith27

« Reply #329 on: November 24, 2013, 07:24:54 pm »

Some info on the amazon prices:

1) German prices always include all the taxes applicable in germany. so if it say 400 euros, that means you'll pay 400 euros.

2) If you export you may or may not have to pay additional taxes/duties.

3) The extreme price jumps seem to be caused by different vendors: First prices were really staying the same at about 800 or so euros. these were dp3s shipped by amazon directly. then amazon dropped the prices so people bought all the dp3s amazon had (which was less than 10). So amazon is out of stock, then they automatically switched to the next 3rd party seller in line and so on. Appears that those all only have a one, maybe two in stock, so as soon as they are sold out the next third party seller with the shortest shipping time becomes the official price etc.

billh

« Reply #330 on: November 29, 2013, 07:26:11 pm »

mikechen

« Reply #331 on: November 30, 2013, 03:37:34 am »

B&H (and maybe others) is selling it for $699.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/909800-REG/sigma_sigma_dp3_merrill_compact.html
The DP2 Merrill is $699 as well, though the DP1 Merrill is $799-discounted $200 from its original full price rather than its previous sale price.

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #332 on: November 30, 2013, 05:48:07 am »

Meanwhile :

Kind Regards -  Hulyss Bowman | hulyssbowman.com |

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #333 on: November 30, 2013, 06:03:43 am »

Hi,

A short and concise workflow :-)

Best regards
Erik

I've had the same question before so I looked a bit in possible workflows. This one here seems to work for me:

1. Take out Sigma DP3M.
2. Focus on eye under good lightning conditions.
3. Press shutter.
4. Done.

Erik Kaffehr

NancyP

« Reply #334 on: December 02, 2013, 02:30:39 pm »

Any experiences with a filter system for DP#Ms?

The "small" holder options are Cokin A and P, Formatt Hitech 67mm and 85mm, Lee Seven-Five.
And then there's the standard 4"  (100mm) holders: Lee would be the obvious choice for durability. Is the full size Lee too awkward on the DP#Ms? If full size Lee system is usable on DP#M and can be slipped into a daypack, it would be the "one size fits everything except bulbous-front-element super-wide-angle lenses".

The Formatt Hitech 67mm system has a kit with adapter ring, holder, 0.6 GND, 0.6 ND, 0.6 reverse GND. This would seem to be an inexpensive introduction to filter systems at $140.00 plus $23.00 for a front adapter for a 77 mm polarizer (I have a 72 already, could use stepdown ring 77 to72). There is exactly one review of the system, and the reviewer hated the holder design.

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #335 on: December 02, 2013, 02:42:22 pm »

Meanwhile :

... image ...

Great shot - but why to people always have to make additional holes in their bodies?
Never understood that ....

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #336 on: December 02, 2013, 03:28:43 pm »

Great shot - but why to people always have to make additional holes in their bodies?
I used to agree with you, but after looking (more than once) at Hulyss's wonderful shot (has Lula ever hosted anything more intelligently erotic?), I think I might have been wrong...
Ken Cameron

K.C.

« Reply #337 on: December 03, 2013, 03:37:35 am »

For the same reason that some people have to list the gear they shoot with in their signature on a forum.
Never understood that...

Both are about some level of vanity, I'd guess.

To each his own.

Christoph C. Feldhaim

• There is no rule! No - wait ...
« Reply #338 on: December 03, 2013, 06:19:30 am »

For the same reason that some people have to list the gear they shoot with in their signature on a forum.
Never understood that...

Both are about some level of vanity, I'd guess.

To each his own.

I understand vanity to some extent, since it is part of normal human narcissism as well as demonstrated absence of vanity is. What I have trouble to understand is self mutilation or self injury for that purpose.

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #339 on: December 03, 2013, 07:10:24 am »

I'm actually studying body photography with the women who cross my life and this is not easy. I never done that before and this is clear you never know what you will discover. Sometimes, she look cute, shy, serious, but once you tell her to be full naked, you are surprised. Piercings are legion on the women I shoot, even thought I try my best to have a normal woman, without tattoos or piercings. I respect their choices and do not find that horrible, after all.

Eroticism is a complicated discussion among photographers, a sort of "world between". This often due because photographers who do not know at first how their emotions will react when shooting with the girls, and also because they don't know how other people will react when they see "this photographer shoot naked women !!". They care also about their reputation.

Personally, I was surprised by my reaction because ... I do not care; I just find that "unusual". When shooting (shoots are during between 4 and 6 hours) I do not have any once of excitation or anything. I think I have that in common with doctors I don't know. So to break the ice I tell the selected girls to be full naked once they cross my door. Some never did that before but understand quickly why. At first they are shy and when they see I do not care and I'm focused on work, they start to be far more comfy, laughing, trying to see what I want to do and are very participative. They trust me a lot.

I have a goal and no matter how much girl come in the studio, this goal is hard to achieve.

I use the DP3 only when I use LED. I found that Foveon react better than the D800 to led lights, especially in transitions between light and shadows.
Kind Regards -  Hulyss Bowman | hulyssbowman.com |
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 23   Go Up