Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23   Go Down

Author Topic: Sigma DP3 Merrill Experiences  (Read 279557 times)

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
Sigma DP3 Merrill Experiences
« on: January 08, 2013, 07:20:24 am »

Hello :) Great new from SIGMA yesterday about a new DP featuring the new Merrill sensor and... A 50mm f2.8 outstanding MACRO/Portrait Lens !! This is what I call a great start of 2013 :)

More than my excited words, here is the DP3 Merrill Micro site giving the specifications and the feeling around this project:

http://www.sigma-dp.com/DP3Merrill/debut/#/home

And here is some shoots of the body, to have a better view (DcWatch):

And here is a first shoot with the best, to show how creamy and bokehlicious is this lense (Credit photo Kenji Mori) >> right click and show for full resolution.

Well... I can't wait to have my unit but be sure I will have it.
Kind Regards -  Hulyss Bowman | hulyssbowman.com |

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
Re: Sigma DP3 Merrill Experiences
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 07:24:15 am »

With this this new DP, SIGMA will unleash a new version of SPP : SIGMA Photo Pro Monochrome Mode

I am sure some here will be VERY happy with this new SPP and ... well... just have a look :)

http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/sppmonochrome/en/introduction.html

hasselbladfan

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 07:36:45 am »

I really cannot understand why Sigma is not building in a viewfinder for obvious pro or passionate users.

This is not a mom-pop camera.

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 07:57:14 am »

I really cannot understand why Sigma is not building in a viewfinder for obvious pro or passionate users.

Have a better look at this camera and specially at the size of the lens. With a 75mm VF on this little camera this is obvious that the lens will appear in the VF, or, if they make the DP bigger to fit it, the DP will defo loose all his compactness. I do not want to have a Xpro1 sized DP. I shoot with Dp since they exist and I personally find it very easy to compose a picture with the back screen.

A DP with view finder already exist, this is the SD1 :)

Vladimirovich

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 10:41:02 am »

cost and then slow AF and video parameters in DP cameras are telling that they just can't get/process data fast enough from that sensor to feed any decent viewfinder.

Vladimirovich

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 10:42:19 am »

with a 75mm VF on this little camera this is obvious that the lens will appear in the VF 
oh, optical VF, not EVF...

Adam L

• http://adamlozo.com
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 10:42:45 am »

Is this camera essentially the same as the DP1M and DP2M with a different lens?
"That's a lot of money to move a few pix

Vladimirovich

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 10:43:21 am »

With this this new DP, SIGMA will unleash a new version of SPP : SIGMA Photo Pro Monochrome Mode

something like Iridient Rawdeveloper has (albeit it does not support to most recent Sigma models).

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 11:12:13 am »

Is this camera essentially the same as the DP1M and DP2M with a different lens?

Hello Adam,

Yes this is exactly the same but with a different lens, optimized for bokeh and macro work. The only difference will be a macro mode for the AF, in the menu of the camera. It will be switchable without going into the menu, just by pressing the upper arrow of the back pad.

Viridian

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 11:46:08 am »

ABSOLUTELY agree here. EVF would be most welcome. Just saying.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 11:48:00 am by Viridian »

simonstucki

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 11:50:27 am »

And here is a first shoot with the best, to show how creamy and bokehlicious is this lense (Credit photo Kenji Mori) >> right click and show for full resolution.

Well... I can't wait to have my unit but be sure I will have it.

that image looks very nice, nice bokeh, but I guess this isn't the most demanding subject. but still lovely.
I'm very excited. finally a camera that doesn't blindly hunt for desirable attributes like super fast lens, super fast af, super low iso performace and so on. just a camera that does one thing superbly (like the two dp merills as well of course) for an really affordable price. way to go sigma!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 11:57:26 am by simonstucki »

janus

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 02:37:07 pm »

I am glad to see a company still dedicated to the old wisdom that a prime lens is still better than a zoom lens. Not just in terms of sharpness, but also, and for fine arts photography even more importantly so, in terms of smooth bokeh.

And this lens can do macro as well.

Sigma's old 50mm EX macro is very good, and I am sure even better in a new incarnation on this little mirror-less box-wonder.

nandadevieast

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 09:05:12 am »

Have a better look at this camera and specially at the size of the lens. With a 75mm VF on this little camera this is obvious that the lens will appear in the VF, or, if they make the DP bigger to fit it, the DP will defo loose all his compactness. I do not want to have a Xpro1 sized DP. I shoot with Dp since they exist and I personally find it very easy to compose a picture with the back screen.

A DP with view finder already exist, this is the SD1 :)

hulyss,
It will be very difficult to shoot this without a VF...chances of shake...
DOF will be equal F4 at 75mm? For a head shoulder shot, and being a portrait focal length, it should have been faster i think.
But i am happy.

NancyP

Re: Sigma DP3 Merrill : max. magnification 1:3 (0.33x)
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2013, 01:10:55 pm »

Not a true macro (1:1 capable) lens, but a close-up lens.

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2013, 03:24:06 pm »

hulyss,
It will be very difficult to shoot this without a VF...chances of shake...
DOF will be equal F4 at 75mm? For a head shoulder shot, and being a portrait focal length, it should have been faster i think.
But i am happy.

I don't think it will be "that" difficult but, yes, more than with the DP2m. I'm absolutely not afraid by that though ;) 75mm is good. More long can be difficult.

For now we don't know if SIGMA will release a 75mm viewfinder (they will) but for the ones who are chronically worried here is what you need :

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/191964-REG/Voigtlander_45DA414A_Viewfinder_for_75mm_Black.html

For the ones who are SURE to get it (like your truly), do not forget to screw ad vitam æternam a Heliopan SH-PMC on the DP lens (probably a 52mm, maybe a 49mm). At first, I tested numerous filters and the Heliopan are, IMHO, the best; absolutely no loss of details or chroma changes (I do not like filters but here, it is mandatory). Screwing a filter on your DP will lower the noise of the DP by 5, at least. A nude DP do some noise at focussing. The focussing elements move inside the barrel. This is the case for the DP2m and it is even more the case for the DP3m >> possible dust pump !! >> The filter will cure this hypothetical little problem (no risk of dust inside mechanism).

Yes of course. Owning the AML-2 (even the AML-1 with adapter) can magnify even more the ratio. The cropping factor of the crystal clear DP3m files can compensate ;)

simonstucki

Re: Sigma DP3 Merrill : max. magnification 1:3 (0.33x)
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2013, 06:32:11 pm »

actually the reproduction ratio (on the sensor) doesn't rule it all anymore. for example a mft lens that goes to 1:2 paired with a 16mp sensor is way better (in the sense of magnification power, your going to be able to blow that single ant up to wall size) than a medium format lens that also goes to 1:1 with a hypothetical 16mp medium format sensor! however you will be able to fit more ants on to the mf image)

the reproduction ratio (on the sensor resp. film) was only the only important thing when shooting with film since 8x10" film hat the same "spatial resolution power" as 35mm film. in the digital era one always has to consider the reproduction ratio of the lens and the pixel density of the sensor.

but 1 agree, the 1:3 of the sigma lens is not state of the art (we now even have a 1:1 standard macro lens for mft plus the nanoha) , but I guess it wasn't possible to easily go to 1:1 without making the lens bigger and more expensive. if you need more macro and foveon you need to get a sd1 and a macro lens.

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2013, 02:40:12 am »

First impression of the DP3 Merrill by the phoblographer : http://www.thephoblographer.com/2013/01/09/first-impressions-sigma-dp3/

In the pictures you have more details about the AF with 4 modes : Macro, portrait, landscape and Manual. If you look carefully at a photo, there is a little smiley which can be a face detection feature... I do not know but for sure, this is the most complete DP of the line, IMHO.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 04:40:54 am by Hulyss »

John Gellings

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2013, 08:46:13 am »

I do not know but for sure, this is the most complete DP of the line, IMHO.

How is more complete than the others?

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2013, 09:08:42 am »

You'll have to fight me Charlton Heston style for the first one in North America!  ;)

I am actually very excited about the face detection feature. There, I said it.  I want this as a portrait camera, and FD is actually a great idea for when the little focus boxes don't go where you want them. 

Can't see why this couldn't go to the other cameras with a firmware update, since this is a question of processing off the sensor, which remains the same.

- N.
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

scooby70

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2013, 10:36:31 am »

I'm very excited. finally a camera that doesn't blindly hunt for desirable attributes like super fast lens, super fast af, super low iso performace and so on. just a camera that does one thing superbly (like the two dp merills as well of course) for an really affordable price. way to go sigma!

Indeed.

Even those who aren't interested in the camera should be able to see the appeal it holds for others and applaud Sigma for making it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23   Go Up