Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Fujifilm XE-1 / X Pro 1 questions  (Read 10387 times)

Greg D

Fujifilm XE-1 / X Pro 1 questions
« on: December 13, 2012, 02:35:28 pm »

I'm considering an XE-1.  With the zoom(s) available or soon to be, it seems almost ideal for my use (mostly used backpacked - would be nice if it was weatherproof, but keeping a small camera dry is not so hard).  But the thing making me hesitate is what I've read about its raw files not playing nice with Lightroom.  How much of a problem have users of these cameras found that to be?  (Really hoping that someone might have some insight as to when/if Adobe will come up with a better solution for this - Jeff Schewe are you reading this?)

Thanks for any insight.

Petrus

Re: Fujifilm XE-1 / X Pro 1 questions
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 03:05:07 pm »

I have been converting Fuji RAWs with LR 4.2, and as long as sharpening is kept below about 40 on the amount scale (detail slider I push to 100) I have no complaints. Both X-Pro1 and X-E1 files that I have shot and converted have been printed on full magazine spreads just fine. The there is always the SilkyPix which seems to cause less of those watercolor artifacts, but I think the whole problem has been overblown by pixel peepers.

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 10:50:17 pm »

It is mainly a problem with foliage, but there is also color bleed, especially on something like a red background and white letters. I am hoping Adobe will fix it, they have not said, and Fuji has said they have given them the info to improve it. The reality we may not know. Capture One will be release support soon in their software (V7) and if that does the trick then things will be great!.

It is a great camera, the image quality is superb, and it is fun to use. I have the X-Pro 1 with the three primes and some adapted lenses. I too am waiting for the Zeiss.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Martin Ranger

• My Website.
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 11:16:32 pm »

The raw files are indeed not playing nice with Adobe. Whether this is a problem pretty much depends on what you are planning to shoot, and how much your workflow depends on Lightroom. Any kind of foilage and grass tend to generate artifacts. The more you sharpen, the more those will be visible, but they are there even when sharpening is set to very low.  Keeping the "Detail" slider to a minimum helps, too. (Funny thing, Petrus seems to have the opposite approach.) I have noticed artifacts even in areas with very little detail, but they tend not to be a problem.  Color bleed has not been an issue for me, but then this might be due to the kind of photos I have taken. Silkypix does a much much better job and is not as horrible as people make it out to be.

My thought would be that if for some reason you need to stay entirely within an Adobe-centric workflow, and you want to use the camera for backpacking (foilage), the X-E1 is not a good choice at the moment (as much as I like the camera and lenses). This will change if/when Adobe updated their raw engine. If you are not wedded to Lightroom, the X-E1 is a very nice camera.
Martin Ranger
Seattle, WA

www.martinrangerimages.com

Greg D

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 09:01:49 am »

Yes, foliage is pretty prominent in my photos.  And I am pretty dependent on Lightroom.  Anyone tried using the Fuji raw converter (Silkypix?) to convert to TIFFs then importing those into Lightroom?

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 10:52:59 am »

Greg,

Silkypix works, it is a bit of  a clunky interface but what I have done is convert to a really neutral-flat 16 bit tif image and then import to lightroom to adjust contrast and any other adjustments.

I will first try it in Adobe if that is now working for me or the artifacts are too much then I convert in Silkypix and go from there.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Martin Ranger

• My Website.
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 01:06:03 pm »

I will first try it in Adobe if that is now working for me or the artifacts are too much then I convert in Silkypix and go from there.

Alan

+1.
Silkypix is not as bad as people make it out to be. If you are into technical details, http://chromasoft.blogspot.com/2012/05/demosaicing-fuji-x-pro1-and-its-x-trans.html has an excellent explanation of what is going on.
Still, despite the great lenses of the Fuji system and the overall look of the images, if I were to shoot landscapes I would not pick the Fuji X-E1. There are excellent alternatives out there which do not require waiting for software updates that might never materialize.
Martin Ranger
Seattle, WA

Petrus

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 02:14:08 pm »

I finally, actually made some foliage tests with Lightroom 4.3 and SilkyPix with different sharpening settings. LR 4.3 makes much snappier and more saturated pictures, but you have to be really careful with the sharpening. Default is OK, so is setting the amount to 40 or so. Past that it turns to art, not photography. SilkyPix does not cause the watercolor effect even if you push the sharpening, but the result is more bland and there is less shadow detail. I prefer Lightroom, aliasing or not. And the feel of the cameras and the creative kick I get from them is worth more than problems from over sharpened LR files. Focus properly and do not over sharpen, what is the problem? With 2 assignments I have paid the two bodies and 3 lenses already. While having fun. Go out and take photographs and enjoy.

MatthewCromer

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 02:34:46 pm »

The Fujifilm X cameras are simply the wrong choice for landscape work, IMO.  If you were shooting available-light portraits, nighttime urban street shooting and the like I'd say it was a great fit.  But the reduced color resolution of the design simply makes it a lot less competitive than, say a NEX-7.

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 03:27:34 pm »

Whether or not Adobe fixes their issues is something we will wait and see. They may decide that they do not want to spend the resources. However Capture One support will soon be released or so they are saying on the Phase One forums, so that is something to look forward to and an option. In the meantime the X-Pro 1 with some careful work can makes some decent landscape shots...

_DSF3997-web by APS-Photo, on Flickr

_DSF3909-Edit-Edit-2-web by APS-Photo, on Flickr

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Vladimirovich

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 03:35:14 pm »

Anyone tried using the Fuji raw converter (Silkypix?)
Fuji supplies Silkypix v3. ISL now on v5... certainly it is not like LR4 vs LR2, but gives you an idea that the word SilkyPix w/o version designation shall not be used to call Fuji supplied version.

Pelao

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2012, 03:50:06 pm »

I finally, actually made some foliage tests with Lightroom 4.3 and SilkyPix with different sharpening settings. LR 4.3 makes much snappier and more saturated pictures, but you have to be really careful with the sharpening. Default is OK, so is setting the amount to 40 or so. Past that it turns to art, not photography. SilkyPix does not cause the watercolor effect even if you push the sharpening, but the result is more bland and there is less shadow detail. I prefer Lightroom, aliasing or not. And the feel of the cameras and the creative kick I get from them is worth more than problems from over sharpened LR files. Focus properly and do not over sharpen, what is the problem? With 2 assignments I have paid the two bodies and 3 lenses already. While having fun. Go out and take photographs and enjoy.

My experience is similar. Going out and actually using the camera seems like a radical idea. ;)

The Fujifilm X cameras are simply the wrong choice for landscape work, IMO.  If you were shooting available-light portraits, nighttime urban street shooting and the like I'd say it was a great fit.  But the reduced color resolution of the design simply makes it a lot less competitive than, say a NEX-7.

Perhaps. Though I've seen some large prints that are easily the equal of a 5DII.

Whether or not Adobe fixes their issues is something we will wait and see. They may decide that they do not want to spend the resources. However Capture One support will soon be released or so they are saying on the Phase One forums, so that is something to look forward to and an option. In the meantime the X-Pro 1 with some careful work can makes some decent landscape shots...

_DSF3997-web by APS-Photo, on Flickr

_DSF3909-Edit-Edit-2-web by APS-Photo, on Flickr

Alan

Good stuff.

WaitingForAnR10

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2012, 10:56:04 pm »

Sorry, but is this an issue with Lightroom only, or ACR too?

Martin Ranger

• My Website.
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 10:59:18 pm »

Sorry, but is this an issue with Lightroom only, or ACR too?

Both.
Martin Ranger
Seattle, WA

jnmoore

Tripod for X-E1?
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2012, 09:07:55 pm »

Just got my X-E1 with kit lens. Impressed so far but need more time to come to any specific comments. I'm trying to transition (at 67) from a 5D MarkII to something lighter for my hiking so am trying this out. Seems very good so far but different and a lot to get used to. I'm a little disturbed by comments that this is not a good landscape camera because this is my primary interest. So far, I'm not seeing problems. Waiting patiently for the new wide angle 14 prime.

I'm very interested in a lightweight, yet high quality landscape kit. Right now, I'm carrying a Benro carbon fibre at 3.6 lbs. It has been an excellent friend and never failed but I think I can move to something lighter with an X-E1? Maybe about 2 lbs not including head. It needs to be at least 5 feet high as I don't want to stoop over.

Does anyone have suggestions about this? I can use use my existing Markin head.

Thanks,

John Moore
johnagon.com

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2012, 10:37:59 am »

Thanks Pelao.

John,
I too am looking for smaller tripod for when I am just carrying my X-Pro 1, so I will see if anyone comes up with some suggestions. One that looks kind of interesting is travel tripod from Benro but it comes with a ball head and it is is also made by Fotopro as the C5i, but it is not carbon fiber.

You might also want to wait for the new Zeiss lenses that are coming out for the X-series cameras, they will autofocus as well and they are going to make a 12mm. I will wait on the Fuji until I see the Zeiss.

Alan
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 11:20:35 am by snoleoprd »
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Rob C

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2012, 11:35:39 am »

For what it's worth, I think you're doing the wrong thing in thinking of a lighter tripod: they only work, when they work, because of their mass; to go lighter lessens that, and the weight of the camera won't make that much difference to the end result if you use the tripod for long exposures; you can certainly use a light one, even with only two legs extended, if you are able to use a fast shutter speed. Light 'pods and cameras turn into sails. There is never an easy answer.

Rob C

jnmoore

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2012, 11:45:02 am »

Thanks Pelao,

Yes, the Zeiss may be better but maybe not and will likely be more expensive. I'll wait a little while but not too long. I'd like a long lens to say 4-500 equivalent and hope someone will make one. Also, a real 1:1 macro would be nice. I enjoy the 150 Sigma on my 5D.

John
johnagon.com

jnmoore

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2012, 11:49:28 am »

Thanks Rob,

I know the mass is important but maybe a 2 lb will work with my gear bag attached to a hook underneath? Its just that the tripod now becomes the heaviest part of my kit.

John

jnmoore

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2012, 12:02:40 pm »

I need a remote shutter release of bracketing. I like the little Canon wireless I use on my 5D but see nothing like this for Fiji. I know that Fuji has one fairy large wired one. I have heard that other brands remotes can work; does anyone know anything about this issue? Thanks.

John
johnagon.com
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up