Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: C1 v7 problem  (Read 21379 times)

Phil Indeblanc

Re: C1 v7 problem
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2012, 02:57:57 pm »

David, this issue was just to start and make a catalog.
I wasn't shooting or using a card. My files are on a server. I was looking to add files from it to the catalog so I can edit them. I had shot them previous to installing v7.
I took me a closer look,  (after your initial reply that I so appreciate) for me to realize that the Import window where Import To/ Collections(below store files) has drop-down option, the default was set to "Capture Collection". "Set To" didn't do it either. I selected "Recent Imports only", and that got me to importing files.  Why I couldn't simply highlight the files I wanted to import is odd to me.

I find all this to be a bunch of fluff on top of a Raw developer.

Sessions works for me, except I wish it would ask me to "commit" to working/developing in a folder before it poops the c1/proxy/settings and other folders in every folder I browse. Maybe it adds them when you select or change a file, but that should be prompted to happen....or OK to take action/set as default option. etc.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

colinm

« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2012, 10:25:27 pm »

It was like that until version 4. You want easy workflow? Take a look at LR Phase One. The way it works now it might make sense to the developer and to somebody that took a class on it but a software shouldn't need classes to make it work. Even Photoshop which is so advanced can be used without a manual or taking classes.

Lightroom is a catalog-based application. If you want Lightroom-style functionality, use a Catalog. And that is, in fact, what C1 7 automatically recommends on first launch for new users.
Colin

jeanvalentin

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2012, 03:35:45 pm »

This is so frustrating. v7 screwed up big time with the metadata writing. It takes seconds to write to it and it screws any rating you have (stars, color labels) not matter what you do within the program.

I had all the green labeled images selected and hit Command + D to process them. It did process them but it removed all the labels (and the stars). Does anybody tests the software or am I being the only one it happens to (although there are a couple others on their forum talking about it so at least there are other two people experiencing it)?
Best,
Valentin

jeanvalentin

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2012, 05:04:56 pm »

Lightroom is a catalog-based application. If you want Lightroom-style functionality, use a Catalog. And that is, in fact, what C1 7 automatically recommends on first launch for new users.

True, but once again, C1 makes you go through hoops/unnecessary steps to accomplish a simple thing. I use a catalog for weddings, a catalog for portraits and a catalog for personal stuff.

LR - create/select the catalog; click import; done (it follows your folder structure)
C1 - create/select the catalog; create an album (you want to separate your work, right?); import

An unnecessary extra step. Also, the name "Recent imports" implies that it will show what you imported last (like in LR). Nope. It shows anything that you used the "Recent Imports" collection as your destination for your import.

Another problem? If you have created an album, and it's highlighted, guess what: you can't create another album under User Collections (everything it's greyed out).

So many common sense mistakes you really wonder if anybody tests these releases before they go out.
Best,
Valentin

jeanvalentin

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2012, 05:17:05 pm »

Who comes up with these ideas?  ???

Under the "Folders" section it shows you the physical structure of the folders on your HD. If you create a folder and move images there, guess what happens? Nothing. The created folder is a virtual one (even though they show you the physical structure). Why would anybody create a virtual folder? That's why you have projects/groups/albums ... for the virtual structure.

Oh, and once again, any images moved to a newly created folder will loose it's ratings. Way to go Phase One.
Best,
Valentin

jeanvalentin

« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2012, 01:18:47 am »

I have another problem: local adjustments don't work.

I created a new layer adjustment (and it's selected). I brushed in the area where I want the adjustment. When I slide the exposure, it affects the entire image instead of the selected area. Also, in v6, when I was selecting the layer adjustment, certain tools were greyed out (HDR). Now, everything is enabled but works globally. It's like it's not recognizing the adjustment layer.

Anybody else having this issue?

ETA: This is working with catalogs as suggested.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 02:23:13 am by jeanvalentin »
Best,
Valentin

jeanvalentin

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2012, 01:28:40 am »

The attached image is from a job that I adjusted in v6. The adjustments are visible on the image, but as you can see, when selecting the adjustment layer, it should read the values applied.

If you do a new adjustment layer, it works globally (like the background layer).
Best,
Valentin

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2012, 03:28:49 am »

Who comes up with these ideas?  ???

Under the "Folders" section it shows you the physical structure of the folders on your HD. If you create a folder and move images there, guess what happens? Nothing. The created folder is a virtual one (even though they show you the physical structure). Why would anybody create a virtual folder? That's why you have projects/groups/albums ... for the virtual structure.

Oh, and once again, any images moved to a newly created folder will loose it's ratings. Way to go Phase One.

Jean,

Creating a folder in the folders tool is NOT virtual.  It physically creates the folder on your storage.  I have just tried the same here with my home catalog and it does just that.

Secondly the rating was not also lost.  Are you sure you were in the folders tool?

So could you please try again?

David
David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

• Capture One
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2012, 03:32:35 am »

I have another problem: local adjustments don't work.

I created a new layer adjustment (and it's selected). I brushed in the area where I want the adjustment. When I slide the exposure, it affects the entire image instead of the selected area. Also, in v6, when I was selecting the layer adjustment, certain tools were greyed out (HDR). Now, everything is enabled but works globally. It's like it's not recognizing the adjustment layer.

Anybody else having this issue?

ETA: This is working with catalogs as suggested.

Local Adjustments do work.

Goto the Local Adjustments tool tab.  It is pre loaded with the tools that work with LA's for simplicity.

Note that in the toolbar of each tool there is a small brush icon.  This means it will only affect the currently selected layer.

This means you can flick between different tool tabs without having to switch layers.

Perhaps watch the video tutorial on the subject?

David
David Grover

jeanvalentin

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2012, 09:33:20 am »

Local Adjustments do work.

David

Using the catalog? I didn't try it with sessions, but when using a catalog it definitely doesn't work. Did you look at the screen shot I posted?
Best,
Valentin

jeanvalentin

« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2012, 09:38:26 am »

So could you please try again?

David

I wish I had taken a screenshot when it happened. Yesterday I did a clean install because of so many problems I'm having. I tried it again and this time it created the actual folder.
Best,
Valentin

• Capture One
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2012, 09:41:09 am »

Using the catalog? I didn't try it with sessions, but when using a catalog it definitely doesn't work. Did you look at the screen shot I posted?

Yes, equally as in the Catalog as in the Session.

On your screenshot, the tools are not set to adjust the currently selected layer as I explained and as shown in the Local Adjustments tool tab.
David Grover

jeanvalentin

« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2012, 10:00:00 am »

On your screenshot, the tools are not set to adjust the currently selected layer as I explained and as shown in the Local Adjustments tool tab.

Now you lost me. In the screen shot posted, you can see the selected layer in the layer adjustment tools. I'm not sure what you mean by "the tools are not set".

Also, did exactly what I did in v6 so why works in v6 but not v7?
Best,
Valentin

jeanvalentin

« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2012, 10:07:22 am »

I got a response in the Phase forum.

Your answer should have been: in v7 LA work different than v6. Your previous wording didn't mean much since I was doing the same things as I was doing in v6.

BTW, the default behavior should have been the same as v6 and let the people change it if they like to instead of going nuts and waste time trying to figure what is happening.
Best,
Valentin

• Capture One
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2012, 10:45:17 am »

I got a response in the Phase forum.

Your answer should have been: in v7 LA work different than v6. Your previous wording didn't mean much since I was doing the same things as I was doing in v6.

BTW, the default behavior should have been the same as v6 and let the people change it if they like to instead of going nuts and waste time trying to figure what is happening.

Yes, I saw the answer on the Phase Forum.

However, I did suggest watching the 4 minute tutorial on the subject which would have introduced you to the new workflow and tipped you off on other nice additions like auto masking and fill masking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsmpP5KZOyw&feature=share&list=SPDMRz3ssFQH6HhCcWLh7xL0SapRxUNzs9

If we kept the same default behaviour on everything then software would not advance.  One of the criticism of V6 was how layer adjustments were handled, hence the change.

David

David Grover

jeanvalentin

« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2012, 10:53:12 am »

Yes, I saw the answer on the Phase Forum.

However, I did suggest watching the 4 minute tutorial on the subject which would have introduced you to the new workflow and tipped you off on other nice additions like auto masking and fill masking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsmpP5KZOyw&feature=share&list=SPDMRz3ssFQH6HhCcWLh7xL0SapRxUNzs9

If we kept the same default behaviour on everything then software would not advance.  One of the criticism of V6 was how layer adjustments were handled, hence the change.

David

I did watch the video but I'm not any wiser  :) (also, the video says that you now can have 10 layers and the new features but it DOESN'T say that it behaves differently than v6 so it doesn't help with a problem like mine). That's why keeping the behavior the same helps.

On my workflow, I had layers adjustments tool on my quick tab (I have there all my most used tools). It seems that with v7 you have to use the LA tab since when you add exposure for example to the quick tab, it loads the global one.

And you can add features and keep the BEHAVIOR as previous (unless it's not supported anymore). I don't see how keeping the v6 behavior (which is possible via the option selected) equates with no advances in the software.
Best,
Valentin

• Capture One
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2012, 10:56:58 am »

I did watch the video but I'm not any wiser  :) (also, the video says that you now can have 10 layers and the new features but it DOESN'T say that it behaves differently than v6 so it doesn't help with a problem like mine). That's why keeping the behavior the same helps.

On my workflow, I had layers adjustments tool on my quick tab (I have there all my most used tools). It seems that with v7 you have to use the LA tab since when you add exposure for example to the quick tab, it loads the global one.

And you can add features and keep the BEHAVIOR as previous (unless it's not supported anymore). I don't see how keeping the v6 behavior (which is possible via the option selected) equates with no advances in the software.

It does say the behaviour is different by pointing out the new icon in the applicable LA tools. 

No, you don't have to use the LA tab exclusively.

Anyway, I just answered you on the Phase Forum! 

But, simply in the sub menu in the tool, (small arrow) choose 'Adjust Selected Layer'.

D
David Grover

jeanvalentin

« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2012, 11:09:25 am »

But, simply in the sub menu in the tool, (small arrow) choose 'Adjust Selected Layer'.

D

Thank you.
Best,
Valentin

orc73

« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2012, 03:40:01 pm »

Hi

first let me tell I love the way C1 renders pictures. I had a test version run of v6.5 1 month ago.
So I was happy to see v7 coming and hoping the library would work a bit more user friendly.

Today I tested it and what I can say:
-crashes at many occasions
-pushing the button to develop pics and nothing happens
-masking ist almost impossible to paint properly even with the graphic tablet
-impression: completely buggy

I don't even know what problem to report to support as there are to many.

I really hope they get it fixed and I hope it gets as good as a library as aperture and LR.
Disappointing to get it out with so many bugs

Gulag

« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2012, 03:58:44 pm »

Hi

first let me tell I love the way C1 renders pictures. I had a test version run of v6.5 1 month ago.
So I was happy to see v7 coming and hoping the library would work a bit more user friendly.

Today I tested it and what I can say:
-crashes at many occasions
-pushing the button to develop pics and nothing happens
-masking ist almost impossible to paint properly even with the graphic tablet
-impression: completely buggy

I don't even know what problem to report to support as there are to many.

I really hope they get it fixed and I hope it gets as good as a library as aperture and LR.
Disappointing to get it out with so many bugs

Are you using Windows or Apple? I have been using C1Pro7 on Windows7 since the first day they released it, and have processed about 1TB worth of images so far. haven't even encountered any crashes or other issues you listed above.
"Photography is our exorcism. Primitive society had its masks, bourgeois society its mirrors. We have our images."

— Jean Baudrillard
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up