Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: C1 v7 problem  (Read 21387 times)

jeanvalentin

C1 v7 problem
« on: October 30, 2012, 04:13:22 am »

Hi,

I just had my first crash with the new version. When I try to restart C1, it forces me to either select a session/catalog or create a new one. I don't use catalogs/sessions. I just browse to the folder of images I work on. How can I go back to doing that?

Any help is appreciated.
Best,
Valentin

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: C1 v7 problem
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 09:27:42 am »

You WERE running in a session. You simply never changed from the default session. Start a new session or find your old (default) session.

If you take one of our online Capture One classes I'm betting you'd switch to a proper session workflow. They aren't as complicated or specific as they sound. Or you might switch to the catalog system. But just browsing folders means you're fighting the way the program is set up to function. For instance when you delete a file it goes to the session trash - if you don't even know you're running a session that will make it hard for you to find the deleted file.

jeanvalentin

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 09:52:49 am »

Unless the program automatically does that for you, I never started a session. In v6 (and back to v1 when I started using the program), I was just opening C1 and go to the folder.

I'm not fighting the program, I just use it the easiest way possible (and with the least fuss). And the deleted file was put in the trash folder since I remember.
Best,
Valentin

Jack Flesher

• www.getdpi.com
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 09:58:39 am »

You need to start a session in 7 to be able to view the full library browser. Once you do that, you have started the default session and then just like in 6, that's where all of your processed images and settings get saved. 
Jack
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/

jeanvalentin

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 10:04:11 am »

You need to start a session in 7 to be able to view the full library browser. Once you do that, you have started the default session and then just like in 6, that's where all of your processed images and settings get saved. 

I guess it did it automatically since I never got any popups or messages about creating/selecting a session.

It started to crash so much now that I'm going back to v6 (every time I switch workspaces it crashes).
Best,
Valentin

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 11:31:14 am »

I guess it did it automatically since I never got any popups or messages about creating/selecting a session.

It started to crash so much now that I'm going back to v6 (every time I switch workspaces it crashes).

Hi Jean,

Try disabling the Hardware acceleration (using OpenCL) in the Capture One Pro 7 preferences, possibly only for the display. I also had frequent crashes, now things seem better.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

jeanvalentin

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 12:36:23 pm »

Hi Jean,

Try disabling the Hardware acceleration (using OpenCL) in the Capture One Pro 7 preferences, possibly only for the display. I also had frequent crashes, now things seem better.

Cheers,
Bart

Thanks Bart,

I'll give it a try.
Best,
Valentin

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 03:12:04 pm »

This is what I am sooo confused and surprised Capture One at version 7 has not made it user proof.
I have taken C1 classes, and with over 10 years of MAC and PC usage and all kinds of imaging software experience..C1 just makes this such a stumper! Why?
Why not a error proof start to editing?

Simply bring up the window that needs to be selected to continue working!

If you don't use C1 on a daily basis, who's gonna remember what we learned in a class we tested and passed on? Certs may have a cool factor value for a user, but means little in real world. Take me for example. (If I was a imaging digital tech, I can see the importance).

Why not prompt the proper flow of working to get the job done!  Now I am forced to work in Sessions, as I didn't want the default C1/Proxy/Settings in every folder I search for images in...So I wanted to "Import a catalog", and it errored as an Invalid Collection..... What ever that means these days depending on the app your using.

C1 isn't the only developer pro shooters use, and that should prompt C1 to make things more friendly on the GUI. At least to start using it.

"Sessions"
"Collection"
"Album"
"Catalog"
(then a forced pop up for Backup)

Any other terms we can use to confuse???
Take those and others using multiple software apps and their terms, and see if any make too much sense across them!

We want to use C1...make it easier to start.

Whene I have a important shoot I use C1, but often when working with natural lighting and busiy comps and frames, I use LR.

Take LR catalog, then C1 Catalog, MediaPro, IDImager, ACdsee, Bridge, ......what a managing nightmare for those who have a substantial amount of images on servers! So while this "Passive" cataloging approach is very welcome in raw developers, I wish using it was a bit self explanatory, and not need constant contact to make sense of it.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 03:21:59 pm by Phil Indeblanc »
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

jeanvalentin

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 05:32:35 pm »

We want to use C1...make it easier to start.

It was like that until version 4. You want easy workflow? Take a look at LR Phase One. The way it works now it might make sense to the developer and to somebody that took a class on it but a software shouldn't need classes to make it work. Even Photoshop which is so advanced can be used without a manual or taking classes.
Best,
Valentin

jeanvalentin

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 08:38:33 pm »

Hi Jean,

Cheers,
Bart

Well, that didn't help.
Best,
Valentin

jeanvalentin

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 10:09:55 pm »

The title should have said problems.

I had 8 images selected. These images were rated 2 stars and had a filter for 2 star images. Select all -> Command + D to process JPEGS. It did process the JPEGs but at the same time removed the star ratings (didn't know at first why all of the images disappeared from the screen).

I understand to have problems when it comes to performance for first iteration of a new version, but a lot of things got broken in the process.

Questions for the power users: where are the workspaces stored? I would like to do a complete uninstall and put back v6 until things get fixed.
Best,
Valentin

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2012, 08:52:07 am »

Version 6 also had sessions, just did not have the catalog option.  At least on the windows side.  Sessions drove me crazy at first, since I did not take the time
to learn about them.  They can be confusing, but I watched the video's Doug mentioned and it helped a lot.  From what I can tell the session implementation in Capture 7 is the
same as Capture 6 (again on windows). 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 08:57:00 am »

To learn about Sessions (and as Doug says, if you embrace them, its much easier!)

http://www.phaseone.com/en/Imaging-Software/Capture-One-7/Tutorials.aspx

Scroll down to 'Organize and Select'.

You'll find one on Catalogs too.

David
David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 12:23:30 pm »

Yes, sessions are like they were in v6. But the addition of Collections I thought was great....As I was just making a mess of all my client folders.
If I accessed a folder as I would in the Browser like in Windows Explorer, it would leave the CaptureOne and Proxy and settings folder and the mess. WHY when I am simply looking for the right files for C1, not commiting to work on the file or folder.

So I thought Catalogs was great. Except I can't get it to be "Valid". When I start up and try to work in catalog, it errors out.
_ Sentence EDITED:I had stated Sessions by mistake. (just shows how confusing this is. Keep in mind C1 is not the only program that photogs work with)

I went along the video step by step, and at the one point in the "Naming tool, video says you can rename, but C1v7 says "Naming is disabled when storing files in Current Location" . (?)
... Well, this is also the video's example.  So I would say my first point of the problem is there.

Just for informations sake on my folders setup:

I have external server with a number of folders by client names. for example: CocaCola/Raw/Processed/Finals/Jpeg_email, etc (although I have other folders such as "Print" within the "Finals" folder. Since each software has a different way of making folders, the best way is to take command and structure the folders in a system that woirks for you. This method is free from all complications of changing computers, swapping drives, and really a logical method when working with clients. (Inspired from reading The DAM book).

I mention the above, as the error leads me to think it is having issues reading a external server drive on that command, as all the images populate in the Import Images window, but it can't make the file structure to continue.  The images are ones I just tehter/captured into the server.

Well here we are, top of the morning, same stuck problem. No C1v7 catalog.  Back to crummy, yet faithful Sessions!

Anyone?, Doug? :-)

« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 01:50:00 pm by Phil Indeblanc »

• Capture One
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2012, 04:30:52 pm »

So I thought collections was great. Except I can't get it to be "Valid". When I start up and try to work in Sessions, it errors out.
I went along the video step by step, and at the one point in the "Naming tool, video says you can rename, but C1v7 says "Naming is disabled when storing files in Current Location" . (?)
... Well, this is also the video's example.  So I would say my first point of the problem is there.

When you say Collections, I assume you mean Catalogs?  But then you mention Sessions in the same sentence, so can you clarify what you are exactly trying to do?

A collection is a 'collection' of images like an Album, Smart Album, Recent imports etc...

So assuming you are talking about Catalogs, ill continue.

The way a Capture One Pro 7 catalog works is like this.  In the import window (where your trouble is starting) look under 'Store Files'.  If 'Inside Catalog' is chosen, the CO7 will copy the images you have pointed too, inside the catalog file itself.  Therefore, all images, settings, organisation, previews etc is all stored in one file.  Makes it very easy to move, share between multiple users and backup.

It sounds like you have chosen to reference the files at their current location.  i.e. In 'Store Files' you have 'Current Location' selected - right?  Therefore it is completely logical that renaming is disabled.   I assume you don't actually want to rename the image files?

David
David Grover

robgo2

• Robert Goldstein Photography
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2012, 09:20:43 pm »

I agree with those who say that the sessions concept is confusing at first, but once you get used to working with sessions, they seem very straight forward and logical.  So much so, that I have no desire to abandon them in favor of catalogs, for which I use Media Pro.  I would like to know if it is possible to use both sessions and catalogs entirely within Capture One 7?

Rob

• Capture One
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2012, 06:48:40 am »

I agree with those who say that the sessions concept is confusing at first, but once you get used to working with sessions, they seem very straight forward and logical.  So much so, that I have no desire to abandon them in favor of catalogs, for which I use Media Pro.  I would like to know if it is possible to use both sessions and catalogs entirely within Capture One 7?

Rob

Hi Rob,

You can have multiple Catalogs and Sessions open at the same time.

Note you could import your Media Pro catalog into CO7 as well.

D

David Grover

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2012, 01:25:54 pm »

Exactly David....you are right, (I fixed my remark earlier)

And yes, I don't want to move or rename them as what you say makes logical sense...
My question was on.... How do I finish adding the files to a catalog without moving them, and not get an Invalid collections error, so I can start working on them?
I think you are describing what this would be as "reference" as I dont see such option.

Looking closer, I do see a Caution in front of the Collection drop down.....AND THAT DID IT.  I had to change it to the RECENT for it to bring them in. Perhaps that Caution/Warning should be a bit more noticeable.
Easy to get numb to.

Thanks David, as your post lead me to look closer at that area.
I still think C1 can approach to make this more simple, from user stand-point.

side note: I can't remember the difference between Collection and Catalog. I a$$ume User Collection/Smart Album/Project/Group is along the lines of LR's Smart Collection.
Since C1 didn't have this feature before, and we did have this in LR, it is a new adaptation concept in C1.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 01:57:03 pm by Phil Indeblanc »

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2012, 01:54:42 pm »

Rob

I think I might go back to Sessions also..,..
My GoTo file browsing, managing software is ACDSee. As much as I was ready to do MediaPro, it still messes up PSD, TIF, and some format issues, that I just will let it bake for maturity, like good wine. :-)

AND since LR FORCES you to work with Catalog files, thank goodness it allows to leave things where they are, it isn't intrucive. And C1 allows to leave them, But why do it when Sessions works very good.

Now if C1 could keep it from making all the default folder files of CaptureOne/Proxy/Settings, in every folder it browses THAT would be GREAT!  Maybe a pop-up asking, "Do you want to work in this folder"... before it dumps its files.

• Capture One
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2012, 04:46:07 am »

Exactly David....you are right, (I fixed my remark earlier)

And yes, I don't want to move or rename them as what you say makes logical sense...
My question was on.... How do I finish adding the files to a catalog without moving them, and not get an Invalid collections error, so I can start working on them?
I think you are describing what this would be as "reference" as I dont see such option.

Looking closer, I do see a Caution in front of the Collection drop down.....AND THAT DID IT.  I had to change it to the RECENT for it to bring them in. Perhaps that Caution/Warning should be a bit more noticeable.
Easy to get numb to.

Thanks David, as your post lead me to look closer at that area.
I still think C1 can approach to make this more simple, from user stand-point.

side note: I can't remember the difference between Collection and Catalog. I a$$ume User Collection/Smart Album/Project/Group is along the lines of LR's Smart Collection.
Since C1 didn't have this feature before, and we did have this in LR, it is a new adaptation concept in C1.

Phil,

Its a little bit hard to understand what you are trying to actually do.  Are you shooting tethered? I am asking as from one of your other posts I suspect that might be the case?  Therefore it would help us all a great deal if you would say if you are importing from memory card, from your hard drive or shooting directly.

If you are working tethered then watch...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0Dz6-VOuXM&feature=share&list=SPDMRz3ssFQH6HhCcWLh7xL0SapRxUNzs9

Which describes how to shoot into a Catalog or a Session.

To reference files in their existing place if you are importing into a Catalog, choose Current Location in the Store Files menu.  It states that very clearly from about 3 minutes in, in the Catalogs video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1uj5ytvklo&feature=share&list=SPDMRz3ssFQH6HhCcWLh7xL0SapRxUNzs9

A 'Collection' is simply a collection of images LIKE an Album, Smart Album or a fixed collection like Recent Imports or Recent Captures.

Thats it!

Maybe you had Capture Collection nominated in the Collection field?  If so you would need to nominate one of your albums as the Capture Collection or simply shoot into Recent Captures, as I think you may have chanegd too?  As I said at the start, I am working on minimal information from you.

Again, Capture Collections are explained in the Guide to Tethered shooting video.

David
David Grover
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up