Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Lens cast correction profiles in Capture One coming to LR4?  (Read 16439 times)

leuallen

Re: Lens cast correction profiles in Capture One coming to LR4?
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2012, 05:55:23 pm »

Paul2660

I got the LR plugin and ordered the PocketLCC from CaptureIntegration. In order to understand the process get the update video here on LL. It is quite clear about LCC and covers other things such as defringing. Well worth the $10.00 and very enjoyable.

I use a GH2 and for panoramas and a Fotodiox shift adapter in various mounts for legacy lenses. Over 50mm everything works well but under that there is the color shift on the left and right exposures. Difficult to fix in PS. I intended to shoot the pano as normal (for 50 mm of less) and then a set of LCC exposures for each shift. Then correct the DNG's in LR with the plugin and then send to PS for stitching. I'll see how it goes, I think it should work. Unfortunately, due to personal problems, I won't be able to test this till next summer. Watching Eric Chan gave me a lot of confidence.

Larry

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2012, 06:03:53 pm »

Jeff, will there be any chance this will added to the LR tutorial in the future?

It's already done and available...Guide to Lightroom 4.x Update with Eric Chan & Jeff Schewe available for $9.95. And it includes an interview with Eric which is pretty cool!

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2012, 07:22:05 pm »

Jeff:

Thanks for the info,

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Stephen G

« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2012, 02:50:47 am »

If you do fall-off only, that means the color cast would remain in the image.  Is there a reason you would want to have the color cast?

Sorry for slow response, been away for a few days. I use Equalight to correct for fall off (lens and lighting) when I photograph paintings. For this I shoot a flat white board or canvas as a reference shot for the flat-fielding. I had the thought that the new plugin could act as an alternative to Equalight. Nice to keep everything in LR.

I actually tested it with a shot of a watercolour and its flat-field shot. Converted them both to DNG and threw them at the plugin. It produced a new file that looked very much like it had had its field flattened, but I just don't know what the colour correction part of the plugin contributed to the result.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2012, 04:55:05 am »

Sorry for slow response, been away for a few days. I use Equalight to correct for fall off (lens and lighting) when I photograph paintings. For this I shoot a flat white board or canvas as a reference shot for the flat-fielding. I had the thought that the new plugin could act as an alternative to Equalight. Nice to keep everything in LR.

I actually tested it with a shot of a watercolour and its flat-field shot. Converted them both to DNG and threw them at the plugin. It produced a new file that looked very much like it had had its field flattened, but I just don't know what the colour correction part of the plugin contributed to the result.

Hi Stephen,

The results should be virtually identical with regards to the flat-fielding, plus you get better colors towards the edges/corners as a bonus. All sensors exhibit a bit of colour cast, some more than others, so they'll all benefit from an LCC operation.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Stephen G

« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2012, 05:17:48 am »

Hi Stephen,

The results should be virtually identical with regards to the flat-fielding, plus you get better colors towards the edges/corners as a bonus. All sensors exhibit a bit of colour cast, some more than others, so they'll all benefit from an LCC operation.

Cheers,
Bart

But is my reference appropriate for the colour cast correction part of the plugin? i.e. would a flat white canvas do the trick?

sandymc

« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2012, 05:19:05 am »

You can try CornerFix. Not a plug-in, but otherwise similar, and allows the amount of luma and chroma correction to be adjusted separately.

Sandy

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2012, 06:16:43 am »

But is my reference appropriate for the colour cast correction part of the plugin? i.e. would a flat white canvas do the trick?

Hi Stephen,

When it fills the whole frame the effect should be close, but I do not know how the plugin blurs the LCC input frame. The problem with using a blank canvas is that it has structure when you focused correctly. That structure (and noise) needs to be blurred by the LCC operation for fall-off correction, and I do not know if, and how much, the plugin does that.

You optionally could blur by slightly defocusing, but that could change the fall-off characteristic with some lenses. You could also replace the blank canvas with something more featureless.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 06:57:04 am by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Stephen G

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2012, 06:32:52 am »

Thank you for the comments and suggestions folks,

Yes, when I use Equalight I have to blur my reference shot, whether I use canvas or a flat white board. Just a strong gaussian blur in PS does the trick. Can't really blur with defocus, as this could change framing as well as fall-off characteristics.

I wonder if Eric could comment on on how the plugin behaves wrt blurring.

Stephen

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #29 on: September 25, 2012, 08:59:17 am »

The plug-in does do some pre-processing so that texture, noise, etc. in the original capture should not greatly affect the result of the correction.
Eric Chan

jrp

« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2012, 03:11:14 pm »

(Why) does the DNG Flat Field Plug-in work only with DNG files?  I have plenty of NEX raw files that would benefit from it.

sandymc

« Reply #31 on: September 25, 2012, 03:38:50 pm »

I have plenty of NEX raw files that would benefit from it.

Convert them to DNG, the use the plug-in.

As to why, I'd think that Adobe did not (yet) want to make the flat field capability part of an officially supported release. That being the case, DNG via a plug-in was the best option.

Sandy

Schewe

« Reply #32 on: September 25, 2012, 07:26:29 pm »

(Why) does the DNG Flat Field Plug-in work only with DNG files?  I have plenty of NEX raw files that would benefit from it.

As Eric mentioned on the video of the flat field section of the tutorials, allowing only DNG (or a converted DNG file) to be used means the plug-in doesn't have to know the individual raw file format of what is now almost 300 proprietary raw file formats...

So, it's really just that Eric is lazy...

:~)

Photo Op

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2012, 08:03:30 pm »

Need to know before I purchase video. Is Eric wearing those hideous tropical shirts like the "other" guy used to?
David

Schewe

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2012, 09:31:42 pm »

Nope...actually we're all pretty "vanilla"...no visual interest there.

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2012, 08:42:13 am »

Need to know before I purchase video. Is Eric wearing those hideous tropical shirts like the "other" guy used to?

I regret to inform you that I was wearing a plain gray shirt.  Very boring, I admit.  But what else would you expect from someone who builds color profiles?   ;D
Eric Chan

Dave Millier

• Whispering Cat Photography
Re: How to install plugin?
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2012, 08:50:39 pm »

Hi Eric

Apologies for the delayed reply.

Yes, i'm running 4.1.

I have other plugins installed that work fine. Is there a log file or anything?

Best

Dave

Hi Dave, hmm, that seems weird.  Are you sure you're running Lr 4.1 and not an older version (e.g., Lr 3)?  Just wanted to check because it does require Lr 4 and may give you an error about version number if you're actually running Lr 3.

Thanks.
Eric
My website and photo galleries: http://w

madmanchan

• Web
Re: How to install plugin?
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2012, 09:10:46 pm »

Let me check.
Eric Chan

phoTOMgraphy

• thomas|ebruster|photography
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2012, 04:30:18 pm »

thanks to eric for getting my workflow solely done with lr4!  ;)

one question/wish i do have:
i usually do/did it in phocus (for my hassy back on the arca). there you have to save a preset based on the lcc shot. in a 2nd step this preset has to be applied to your main image - i really like the one step solution of your plugin, but the benefit from the phocus solution is that you can apply the preset also to the lcc image and so it turns into a neutral flat image which you can use for white balance for that particular scene. which is very useful.

is there a way to get this done with lr? ::)
thomasebruster.com
Arca Rm3di | SK43 | RS28 | CFV-50[

Alun

« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2012, 03:37:36 am »

I have a specific question. I think that this plugin will be great news for me but I'm away from home and my Leaf back to test so thought I'd ask the most knowledgable people on the interweb!

I have been shooting with a Leaf Aptus II 7 with compressed MOS files which I then have to process with C1 as the lens casts from my Arca Swiss tech camera are horrific and I need its LCC option. I've never fallen in love with C1 and would much prefer to use a Lightroom/Photoshop workflow.

Can I check my understanding please?: if I change to shooting uncompressed MOS files, these can be read in Lightroom. I can convert to DNG on import and apply the Flat Field plugin and then export (with the lens casts corrected) and finesse in Photoshop as usual?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 04:49:22 am by Alun »
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up