Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Lens cast correction profiles in Capture One coming to LR4?  (Read 16436 times)

Kevin Sink

• Kevin Sink Photography
Lens cast correction profiles in Capture One coming to LR4?
« on: September 20, 2012, 03:43:03 pm »

Anyone know if LCC profiles (as available in Capture One) are going to be available with LR4?
Kevin

Kevin Sink Photography

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: Lens cast correction profiles in Capture One coming to LR4?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 11:58:24 pm »

No...but you can download the Flat Field plug-in for DNG in Lightroom at Adobe Labs.

phila

• www.philaphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 04:13:59 am »

Possibly not the right place but...

Any recommendations for the type of diffusion filter to use in this process? Ta.

Schewe

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 04:41:08 am »

If you have a Phase One camera, it should come with one...otherwise you'll want something that totally diffuses the image (and you'll prolly have to open up a couple of stops from normal exposure–just be sure to use the shutter speed not the F/stop as that will alter the flat field correction).

Stephen G

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 06:41:27 am »

No...but you can download the Flat Field plug-in for DNG in Lightroom at Adobe Labs.

played with it a tiny bit earlier today. Any chance a third processing option could be introduced that corrects for fall-off ONLY, instead of the current "fall-off & colour", so that it could be used as an alternative to Equalight?

phila

• www.philaphoto.com
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 06:47:28 am »

"...otherwise you'll want something that totally diffuses the image (and you'll prolly have to open up a couple of stops from normal exposure–just be sure to use the shutter speed not the F/stop as that will alter the flat field correction)."

I was planning to use it for T/S lenses on my Canons. I'm having trouble tracking anything down that looks like what you used.

Kevin Sink

• Kevin Sink Photography
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 07:53:26 am »

Fabulous.  FFC installed from Adobe Labs site, and now happily using in LR4.  Thanks Adobe crew!
Kevin

Kevin Sink Photography

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 08:13:12 am »

This solves so many workflow issues I had using both C1 and LR.  Awesome! 
Thanks to Eric and everyone else involved.

Dave

BernieKohl

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 01:36:11 pm »

I would like to thank Mr. Eric Chan for this wonderful plugin. I've been waiting so long for Lightroom being able to do this!
One questions though. Since the correction is stored as opcode in the DNG metadata, could I actually send the DNG file to my editor without the calibration file?

Schewe

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 06:59:41 pm »

Since the correction is stored as opcode in the DNG metadata, could I actually send the DNG file to my editor without the calibration file?

Yes...it would take the plug-in to remove it...

Dave Millier

• Whispering Cat Photography
How to install plugin?
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 04:00:57 am »

I can't work out how to do this. I tried to use the plugin manager but it put a read dot against the plugin name and said it was broken. So I tried executing the exe file and all that did was flash up a dos box and nothing happened. i can't find any installation instructions. Tried running as admin - no difference. Using Vista 32bit.

Thanks

Dave
My website and photo galleries: http://w

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2012, 10:35:56 am »

played with it a tiny bit earlier today. Any chance a third processing option could be introduced that corrects for fall-off ONLY, instead of the current "fall-off & colour", so that it could be used as an alternative to Equalight?

If you do fall-off only, that means the color cast would remain in the image.  Is there a reason you would want to have the color cast?
Eric Chan

madmanchan

• Web
Re: How to install plugin?
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2012, 10:39:21 am »

I can't work out how to do this. I tried to use the plugin manager but it put a read dot against the plugin name and said it was broken. So I tried executing the exe file and all that did was flash up a dos box and nothing happened. i can't find any installation instructions. Tried running as admin - no difference. Using Vista 32bit.

Hi Dave, is it possible the download failed?  Was wondering if you could re-download and try again.  You need to unzip the file first, so you have DNGFlatField.lrplugin sitting on your drive.  Then in the Lr plug-in manager, you click "Add" and navigate to where that .lrplugin file and click OK.  That should load it and make it available for use in the Library module.
Eric Chan

Ray R

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2012, 10:41:57 pm »

Possibly not the right place but...

Any recommendations for the type of diffusion filter to use in this process? Ta.

This?
http://www.captureintegration.com/store/phase-one-accessories/

Halfway down the page.

$19.95
Capture Integration
Pocket LCC
For All Cameras

I ordered one sometime ago from the UK.

Dave Millier

• Whispering Cat Photography
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2012, 01:25:09 pm »

Hi

Thanks for the tip, it's good to know that the install procedure is the same as other plugin.

I downloaded the file again, unzipped it to my c: drive.  Open LR4.1, file/plugins manager. Clicked "Add", navigated to the new folder, selected it.  The plugin appears in the plugins list but with a red traffic light against it. Underneath is a message: "Installed but not working". In the right side of the plugin manager is another message: "Version (unknown). This plugin is malfunctioning and cannot be used".

Any other suggestions?

;-)

ta

Dave

Hi Dave, is it possible the download failed?  Was wondering if you could re-download and try again.  You need to unzip the file first, so you have DNGFlatField.lrplugin sitting on your drive.  Then in the Lr plug-in manager, you click "Add" and navigate to where that .lrplugin file and click OK.  That should load it and make it available for use in the Library module.
My website and photo galleries: http://w

Scott Hargis

• Scott Hargis Photo
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2012, 10:40:04 pm »

I'm reading this and checking links with interest. I have only a vague understanding of LCCs. Is this something that has any application to 35mm dSLRs? If not, what is it about MF that makes the LCC necessary?

Any resources where I can learn more about this?

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2012, 08:02:13 am »

I'm reading this and checking links with interest. I have only a vague understanding of LCCs. Is this something that has any application to 35mm dSLRs?

Hi Scott,

There are 2 elements to LCC, light fall-off and color cast. Light fall-off can be caused by the lens (vignetting at a given aperture, and corner rays travel further and strike the sensor more oblique), and by the sensor design (micro-lenses or not, and light tunneling within and cross-talk between sensels). The larger the sensor, and the more oblique the light rays could strike the sensor, the larger the chance of light fall-off and color-cast is. An LCC correction can also be used to reduce sensor dust shadows for a given aperture, but then the LCC image is not blurred before use so noise can become more of an issue. 

Any resources where I can learn more about this?

Here a test is described which can quantify the issue.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2012, 08:12:51 am »

I downloaded the file again, unzipped it to my c: drive.  Open LR4.1, file/plugins manager. Clicked "Add", navigated to the new folder, selected it.  The plugin appears in the plugins list but with a red traffic light against it. Underneath is a message: "Installed but not working". In the right side of the plugin manager is another message: "Version (unknown). This plugin is malfunctioning and cannot be used".

Any other suggestions?

Hi Dave, hmm, that seems weird.  Are you sure you're running Lr 4.1 and not an older version (e.g., Lr 3)?  Just wanted to check because it does require Lr 4 and may give you an error about version number if you're actually running Lr 3.

Thanks.
Eric
Eric Chan

Scott Hargis

• Scott Hargis Photo
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2012, 09:47:05 am »

Hi Scott,

There are 2 elements to LCC, light fall-off and color cast. Light fall-off can be caused by the lens (vignetting at a given aperture, and corner rays travel further and strike the sensor more oblique), and by the sensor design (micro-lenses or not, and light tunneling within and cross-talk between sensels). The larger the sensor, and the more oblique the light rays could strike the sensor, the larger the chance of light fall-off and color-cast is. An LCC correction can also be used to reduce sensor dust shadows for a given aperture, but then the LCC image is not blurred before use so noise can become more of an issue. 

Here a test is described which can quantify the issue.

Cheers,
Bart

Bart, thanks. That confirms that I understood *generally* what was going on, but I never knew what it was about MF that created the issue. Large sensor/oblique angles makes sense.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2012, 04:20:50 pm »

LCC's work great on a 35mm shift lens, example Canon 24mm TS-E full 12mm of right or left shift.  You will get considerable light fall off depending on the aperture.  You can shoot a LCC and process the files in Capture One (now LR) and the light fall to the fall side will be removed. 
You really don't need a center shot LCC, just Right and left shift.  There should not be very much color shift if any.  However on the Sony Nex-7 I have seen examples of pretty harsh color shift with non Sony lenses and again here a LCC would work.

With Capture One, you will need the Pro version to do a LCC on Nikon or Canon but it works just like Medium format. 

I have not tried the LR plug in yet, still can't quite get my hands around the workflow. 

Jeff, will there be any chance this will added to the LR tutorial in the future?

Thanks
Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up