Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: New Leica M - 24 MP CMOS  (Read 12696 times)

hasselbladfan

« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 03:38:19 pm by hasselbladfan »

hasselbladfan

Re: New Leica M 24 MP CMOS
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 03:37:58 pm »

The perfection of digital rangefinder technology

Solms, Germany (September 17, 2012) - Leica Camera presents a groundbreaking milestone in the nearly 60 year history of the Leica rangefinder system: The Leica M. Setting entirely new standards, the Leica M unites the ultimate in rangefinder precision with cutting edge digital technology. As the first camera to implement a newly designed CMOS image sensor and to feature additional focusing methods and functions such as Live View and Full HD video capability, it is the most versatile Leica rangefinder model ever. Remaining true to the legendary values of the M-System, the Leica M not only provides the advantages of rangefinder photography, but also for the first time, offers compatibility with Leica R legacy lenses. As with every innovation and development since the flagship line’s inception, the Leica M was created to capture fleeting moments of time and transform them into living history.

The Leica M also marks the beginning of a new era in the Leica product naming policy. In future, Leica M and S model names will omit the number suffix to emphasize the enduring and long-term significance of the respective systems.

In every respect, the new Leica M is the most innovative and versatile model the modern M-System has ever created. Looking to the future, the Leica M is the first in a long line of Leica rangefinder cameras to feature a completely new development in sensor technology; the Leica Max CMOS image sensor. This 24 MP, full 35 mm format sensor was designed and constructed in collaboration with CMOSIS especially for the camera and its use with M- and R-Lenses. This new development successfully transfers the characteristic advantages of CCD sensors, such as natural and brilliant color rendition and impressive reproduction of details, to a CMOS sensor.

deejjjaaaa

Re: New Leica M - 24 MP CMOS
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 03:57:42 pm »

and price is more gentle than its CCD brethern

shadowblade

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 05:16:00 pm »

Damn, I was looking forward to 36MP...

Everything else about the camera is perfect.

BJL

Leica M - 24 MP CMOS - some promising innovations
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 05:20:02 pm »

This looks like a good move for Leica: some serious modernization (even the heresy of video!) and it skips over the idea of making an R-mount DSLR by instead making those manual-focus lenses fully usable in the modern version of "mirrorless" style: with either a peep-hole or rear-screen video viewfinder. Hopefully Leica of all companies has put a lot of thought into support for manual focus, and having focus-peaking is promising.

I am guessing that it is a Sony-derived sensor, albeit maybe with some customization like micro-lenses. [Edit: I guessed wrong; it is designed with Belgian company CMOSIS.] So it looks like one more act of trampling on the grave of Kodak, with the remaindered Kodak 18MP CCDs being cleared out in the M-E, a "budget" version of the M9.

But, is the accessory EVF only usable with R lenses, not M lenses, as the web-site seems to imply?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 05:32:33 pm by BJL »

hasselbladfan

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 05:29:34 pm »

Not very clear right now. I guess we will know more tomorrow.

michael

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 05:31:47 pm »

The EVF of course works with any attached lens, as does focus peaking.

It is absolutely not a Sony sensor.

Michael

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 05:40:31 pm »

The EVF of course works with any attached lens, as does focus peaking.

It is absolutely not a Sony sensor.

Michael

can guess publicly (no NDA) who is the maker then ?

hasselbladfan

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2012, 05:50:15 pm »

They just released a video on You Tube about the features. 10x better than the press release !

BJL

New Leica M - with 24 MP CMOS sensor designed by CMOS
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 05:58:00 pm »

can guess publicly (no NDA) who is the maker then ?
To make up for my wrong guess above, I have edited in the correct information there: the Belgian company CMOSIS is the designer of this bespoke sensor. That is in the third paragraph of the press release quoted at DPReview.

CMOSIS probably outsources fabrication though, being a small operation. From what I have read recently, it sounds like CMOSIS has been eating the lunch of the former Kodak and Dalsa sensor divisions by getting ahead on custom CMOS design while the other two stayed too much with CCDs.

Aside: maybe this is the company to produce a custom CMOS sensor for a camera in format larger than 36x24mm?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 06:10:17 pm by BJL »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 06:07:40 pm »

CMOSIS is run by the guys who used to run Fillfactory, the company that had designed the Kodak SLR/n sensor.

Cheers,
Bernard

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 06:42:32 pm »

and what was the point not to buy from Sony Semiconductor ? Sony can outfit their sensor w/ whatever CFA/AA/IR/microlenses as required by Leica... no ? so what is better that CMOSIS has ? price ?

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 07:05:50 pm »

A three way review comparison between the Leica M, Sony RX1 and Sigma DP2M would be interesting.
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

hasselbladfan

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2012, 01:45:16 am »

Did someone see a price announcement yet?

Fips

• some unrelated photos on flickr
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2012, 02:42:14 am »

Did someone see a price announcement yet?

$6,950 for the M and $5,450 for the M9 M-E according to dpreview.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2012, 05:21:02 am »

Nick/Edmund,
I'm wondering if you still have access to the Leica folks whether you could ask them if there are any thoughts about going back into production of some R lenses (longer ones I imagine) and/or design some new lenses, tilt/shift especially.  While it's great to be able to use R lenses on the new M it won't bring them any reenue except for the adapter, and there seems to be an opportunity.

Thanks

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2012, 05:57:09 am »

The M10 alone don't get me that excited. But the whole pack, with grip, EVF and some cool R lenses must be very cool to own. The Grip is very über cool.

But ...

Does it will beat the SIGMA DP2m at 45 mm ?? I don't think so, thus the lame attempt to say that their Belgium sensor is "special" ... lol
Kind Regards -  Hulyss Bowman | hulyssbowman.com |

hasselbladfan

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2012, 08:44:40 am »

The grip is fantastic with the GPS and the fast connection included if you need them.

WaitingForAnR10

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2012, 09:07:15 am »

Okay, possibly a silly question, but are the R lens "fully" compatible, that is, do you need to do stop-down metering or can you focus and shoot wide open, like the R cameras do?  All third party adapters so far operate stop-down.

TMARK

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2012, 09:47:47 am »

Okay, possibly a silly question, but are the R lens "fully" compatible, that is, do you need to do stop-down metering or can you focus and shoot wide open, like the R cameras do?  All third party adapters so far operate stop-down.

My understanding is that you do have to stop down, but the EVF compensates for the light loss and presents a bright view for focusing.  I look forward to an F and Blad V lens adapters as well from Fotodiox.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up