Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 54   Go Down

Author Topic: Sigma DP2 Merrill Experiences  (Read 615430 times)

Rand47

New SPP software update, and firmware update for both DP2M and DP1M
« Reply #480 on: November 23, 2012, 05:35:13 pm »

New SPP software update, and firmware update for both DP2M and DP1M

Firmware:   http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/english/new/new_topic.php?id=323

SPP software:  http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/english/new/new_topic.php?id=324

Rand
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 05:36:49 pm by Rand47 »
Rand Scott Adams

neways

Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill Experiences
« Reply #481 on: November 23, 2012, 11:59:13 pm »

Could you share how to post large images with the link to other photo site step by step? Thanks.

Pete_G

« Reply #482 on: November 24, 2012, 08:36:37 am »

I'm glad to say SPP 5.4.1 runs fine on my computer, whereas the previous version crashed while saving files. Turns out it was a bug in SPP. Thanks SIGMA for a quick
release of this bugfix version. Seems that the DPx Merrills have come down in price substantially, what a great little camera.

hasselbladfan

« Reply #483 on: November 24, 2012, 11:00:34 am »

Great pictures, guys.

This combo of a great lens and sensor seem to deliver extremely high IQ (for 850 usd).

I have to admit, I did not read all the 25 pages, but I read very little about the slow camera operation.

Is it not an issue in real life?

Pete_G

« Reply #484 on: November 24, 2012, 12:53:40 pm »

Not for me, my other camera is a Hasselblad 203FE with the original CFV back, hardly a speed demon. The Sigma's buffer allows you to take about 7 shots before it fills and it will take about a minute and a half to write the files to the card before the camera can be used again. The people who seem to get the most out of the camera are tending to be landscape/cityscape photographers who use the Sigma as an ultra portable "technical" camera. Personally the slow write speeds don't bother me at all and I really am enjoying this camera, and will for some time to come.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #485 on: November 24, 2012, 01:04:36 pm »

Could you share how to post large images with the link to other photo site step by step? Thanks.

What other site do you have your images on? Most photo sites, e.g., Flickr, have instructions how to post images they host.

In simplest terms, if your image on some other site has an address like this:

http: //somesite/myimage.jpg

Then you should insert that address between bulletin board image tags: [ img]...[/img],

That is, it should look like:

[ img]http://somesite/myimage.jpg[/img]

Please note that in the above instructions I inserted spaces so that the forum software does not attempt to display them as images. You should not have such spaces in your own posting. The arrows in the attachment bellow show where I inserted the spaces:

neways

« Reply #486 on: November 25, 2012, 12:21:01 am »

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #487 on: November 25, 2012, 01:36:16 am »

John, I guess you wanted to show us a slideshow from your Shutterfly gallery

Your initial question (and my instructions) was about how to post an image, not a link to a slideshow. In any case, when people click on the link above, they can see it. It is worth the trouble.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 02:00:46 am by Slobodan Blagojevic »

BarbaraArmstrong

« Reply #488 on: November 25, 2012, 04:06:09 am »

Hasselbladfan, this camera is slow to write to the memory card (one could probably say very slow), and you just have to get used to it and live with it.  Those of us who have used other Sigma foveon cameras have already gotten used to it; this wasn't anything new.  But the quality of the images from the DP2M leaves us very ready to tolerate the slow pace. One feels very fortunate to have this camera in hand. --Barbara

janus

« Reply #489 on: November 25, 2012, 01:42:00 pm »

Hasselbladfan, this camera is slow to write to the memory card (one could probably say very slow), and you just have to get used to it and live with it.  Those of us who have used other Sigma foveon cameras have already gotten used to it; this wasn't anything new.  But the quality of the images from the DP2M leaves us very ready to tolerate the slow pace. One feels very fortunate to have this camera in hand. --Barbara

Considering that this small camera body is writing 45MB on average to the card, I think it's quite fast. As a city and aldnscapre shooter, I find it not a practical issue at all. If you shoot a lot, I would be more worried about battery life, which I have resolved with a Sigma SAC-5 AC adapter "fake" battery and via a special cable connected it to an Anker Astro 3 external battery pack, which works like a champ.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 01:43:35 pm by janus »

NancyP

« Reply #490 on: November 26, 2012, 02:41:28 pm »

try the print forum.
I have the inks in hand but haven't converted over the Epson 1400 yet. Waiting for ? rainy Saturday?

httivals

« Reply #491 on: November 26, 2012, 07:14:58 pm »

You should look at George deWolfe's website.  I recall that he said something like he tried this or was closing evaluating it and then decided to buy ImagePrint instead and that he's totally pleased with ImagePrint. . . 

Howard

Been printing with Epson ABW lately....I am close to making the plunge and converting my Epson 3800 to Piezographic inks by Cone Color....anyone gone this direction??

Handheld
f7.1
iso 160
1\320th

Foveonic

Foveonic

« Reply #492 on: November 26, 2012, 11:22:29 pm »

Thank you both....

Best

Foveonic

mezzoduomo

« Reply #493 on: November 29, 2012, 09:15:49 pm »

New to this site and forum.  I was vaguely interested in the DP-2, and read nearly every post in this board with relish, then ordered a DP-2 Merrill on sale from B&H.  Can't wait to receive it, although I fear my wife will snatch it up and hide it away from me until Christmas.  Such valuable and rich information here....

Thanks to all.

Mezzoduomo
Scottsdale, AZ USA

aduke

« Reply #494 on: November 30, 2012, 01:27:49 am »

I, too, was interested in the DP-2, ordered it over the weekend and received it Wednesday. My first impressions were much along the same lines as earlier posts, with a couple of differences.

Having spent a couple of hours in a favorite local location taking photographs, I believe that the the DP-2 is much slower than my Canon DSLR's. Over the last 10 years, I've taken over 2000 images in this location, averaging around 70 per trip. Today, I got less than 30. Fumbling with controls, the use of manual focus and waiting for the camera to be ready for the next image were major contributors to this result.

I exhausted the first battery in getting the camera set-up to meet my way of working, like finding how to set the date, setting RAW only, Aperture priority, power-off times and a number of other settings, and taking 41 images. I imagine that the next batteries will last a little longer.

Sigma Photo Pro has a number of major annoyances, it seems to remember settings I'd rather it not remember and forgets settings I'd rather it would remember. It seems to be useful only for setting white balance. Luckily, almost all of today's images were sunlight WB, so setting it was easy. All of the images were then adjusted in LR4. The results were excellent, when viewed on the monitor. I sure wish that LR4 supported the camera's raw data. :(

I would suggest that, while you a waiting, that you download SPP, search the net for sample raw images, and develop your workflow. That was a great help in dealing with today's work.

K.C.

« Reply #495 on: November 30, 2012, 02:56:26 am »

Over the last 10 years, I've taken over 2000 images in this location, averaging around 70 per trip. Today, I got less than 30. Fumbling with controls, the use of manual focus and waiting for the camera to be ready for the next image were major contributors to this result.

One man's frustration is another's amusement.

Working slowly with the DP2m doesn't feel like an imposition. It's an opportunity to deliberate over each image the way I did when I carried an 8X10 Wisner on field trips.

AlfSollund

« Reply #496 on: November 30, 2012, 06:50:04 am »

Hi,

Thanks for sharing all the information! Does any of you have experiences with car charger for DP2 battery, and does it even exist? Using my car a lot during short and long photo expeditions and holidays I have had car chargers for my cameras. Allows me to always have spare battery charging.

Thanks!
-------
- If your're not telling a story with photo you're only adding noise -
http://alfsollund.com/

mezzoduomo

« Reply #497 on: November 30, 2012, 08:03:33 am »

I sure wish that LR4 supported the camera's raw data.

Am I missing something here? Link shows DP-1 and DP-2 on the list.
http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/extend.html

wildstork

• Lawrence Beck Photography
« Reply #498 on: November 30, 2012, 08:23:46 am »

This forum thread is about the DP2Merrill and not the DP2.  You're only missing the point that the DP2 and DP2 Merrill are two entirely different cameras and LR4 doesn't support the Merrill.

mezzoduomo

« Reply #499 on: November 30, 2012, 08:31:56 am »

This forum thread is about the DP2Merrill and not the DP2.  You're only missing the point that the DP2 and DP2 Merrill are two entirely different cameras and LR4 doesn't support the Merrill.

"Yes, of course", he said....feeling stupid.  Sorry.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 54   Go Up