Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 54   Go Down

Author Topic: Sigma DP2 Merrill Experiences  (Read 615961 times)

ndevlin

• Follow me on Twitter
Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill Experiences
« Reply #320 on: October 29, 2012, 09:16:02 pm »

I think you're on pretty safe ground posting the link.  ;)

Barbara - Michael just put up a mention of the grip - it looks terrific.

Akira: photos are always a good bet. This is a positive crowd when people share their creativity.

Villebon: if don't know half that much. Maybe in four lifetimes. But thanks.  :-*

- N.
Nick Devlin   @onelittlecamera        ww

Foveonic

« Reply #321 on: October 29, 2012, 09:32:29 pm »

Skins....Two skins is way better...but a little expensive.
http://aki-asahi.com/store/html/SIGMA/DP2-M/DP2M_LeatherKit.php

Grips....Not bad, but check out the future products below.
http://flipbac.com/camera-grip-design-materials.htm

Future better products slated for production:
Grip: This guy is going to make the anodized grip for the DP2M (plans are done), look at the old DP2 grip on this page that he made.
http://www.kleptography.com/rf/

Half Case:  I have written this guy...nice half cases for great prices..He has not committed yet to the DP2M, but I think he will......
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sqinno?ref=seller_info.

Okay Ndevlin...your a Senior Member....I let fly with some links..I should have paid closer attention to the site policy agreement, I hope its okay.....

PS.  The AML-1 works fine with the DP2M and it is half the price of the AML-2.  A reverse 46mm 49mm Step Up Down ring makes this close-up lens possible to use.

Foveonic
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 09:54:37 pm by Foveonic »

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #322 on: October 30, 2012, 04:59:54 am »

I would like a grip with a built-in longer life battery.  I have 6 Sigma batteries for my DP2/1m cameras and I still worry about running out of juice.  Alternatively an  external battery pack would be good.
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #323 on: October 30, 2012, 05:16:14 am »

Mmmmmm...tasteful skins  ;D

Interesting...I love these micro industries that allow is to accessorise our kit.  Some ideas are better than others.  Keep on it, Foveonic!

Skins....Two skins is way better...but a little expensive.
http://aki-asahi.com/store/html/SIGMA/DP2-M/DP2M_LeatherKit.php

Grips....Not bad, but check out the future products below.
http://flipbac.com/camera-grip-design-materials.htm

Future better products slated for production:
Grip: This guy is going to make the anodized grip for the DP2M (plans are done), look at the old DP2 grip on this page that he made.
http://www.kleptography.com/rf/

Half Case:  I have written this guy...nice half cases for great prices..He has not committed yet to the DP2M, but I think he will......
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sqinno?ref=seller_info.

Okay Ndevlin...your a Senior Member....I let fly with some links..I should have paid closer attention to the site policy agreement, I hope its okay.....

PS.  The AML-1 works fine with the DP2M and it is half the price of the AML-2.  A reverse 46mm 49mm Step Up Down ring makes this close-up lens possible to use.

Foveonic
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

idillic

« Reply #324 on: October 30, 2012, 05:58:51 am »

I just wish the DP Ms came with a drawstring cloth bag like my old DP1 did.  When I carry both DP Ms in a shoulder bag, the lens caps sometimes comes off which is a worry. The cloth bags would keep their surfaces from coming in contact with one another.  (I don't use a camera bag for them, I like that I can carry them both in a small everyday shoulder bag).  

Herb19

• Nature Images in Fine Prints
« Reply #325 on: October 30, 2012, 10:57:26 am »

DP2M picture and 100% crop.

Herb
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 10:59:54 am by Herb19 »

NancyP

« Reply #326 on: October 30, 2012, 01:49:32 pm »

The first photo is very nice, I like the radial symmetry paired with the variable size water droplets. The second soft focus photo has interesting color, but the fuschia flare aperture image in the lower left - I just don't like that color in combo with the rest, looks too artificial. YVMV. Anyway, welcome. Abstract shots count as landscape too, in my opinion.

I myself don't see myself using DP2M as a "street" camera, unless you include posed portraits or urban landscapes as "street photography". I am not too comfortable with it yet, and don't have the "write time" ingrained in my head yet.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #327 on: October 30, 2012, 03:53:17 pm »

... Here's a taraxacum shot with an old inverted 50mm above the DP2 lens to achieve a macro shot. A personal setup.
And here a thyme branch with the same method.

Very nice photographs, Akira!

The second one is a good example how a well-controlled flare can make, not brake, a photo.

Foveonic

« Reply #328 on: October 30, 2012, 04:44:39 pm »

Nice clarity on the first photo...very sharp and contrasty.  I might as well weigh-in on the DP2M as a street photography machine.  It would not lend itself to any speedy composition due to the lack of a rangefinder and a short gear ratio focusing mechanism.  But...their are a lot of ways to shoot the street.  Slow and thoughtful is an approach....
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 04:52:19 pm by Foveonic »

Foveonic

« Reply #329 on: October 30, 2012, 04:50:55 pm »

Hey Herb19 very nice!  Sharp....could you please post the 4 extreme corner crops from the leaf photo??  I know that is 4 crops but it would be much appreciated as a comparison series for other DP2 owners.

Foveonic
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 04:56:23 pm by Foveonic »

BarbaraArmstrong

« Reply #330 on: October 30, 2012, 05:13:31 pm »

Foveonic, many thanks for all the links.  Now the perplexing question is, which one?  Do we think that a camera outfitted with a skin (or 2) would fit in the Milich grip and L-bracket?  How does one "take off" a grip?  Isn't it glued on somehow?
Nick, thanks for your response about Michael's post, which I had seen.  I've never "accessorized" a camera in this way before.  I can see there is a whole new world out there for me to explore and consider.
Idillic, when I am putting more than one camera in a bag together, I pull a sock over the ones I'm concerned about.  I pull a lightweight cotton sock over my DP2M and slip it into my purse.  Works.
Akira, I did like very much your image of the taraxacum.  How does that work, using a 50mm lens in conjunction with the DP2M?  I've done very little macro work (just used the 45mm macro -- 90mm equivalent -- on my GH2, so you can see I really have almost no familiarity with techniques for this) and have no idea how you achieved this shot.  It is beautiful.
     I ordered this camera from Sigma as soon as I saw Quentin's remarks and photo posts, and read Michael's hinting at how impressed he was with it.  And I have been pleased ever since to have the pleasure of using it and enjoying the results.  If I could figure out how one actually uploads an image onto this site, I might consider whether to post some of my results, but I do feel intimidated by some of what I see here.  L-L has been a real source of knowledge and inspiration for me.  Many thanks to all who contribute.  --Barbara

Herb19

• Nature Images in Fine Prints
« Reply #331 on: October 30, 2012, 05:17:49 pm »

Hello Foveonic,

Corners of the DP2M are all tack- and equally sharp from f/4 to f/8  :)
But maybe when I have time left...

Here is something more interesting. Pre process in Sigma Photo Pro, Neutral, -2 for Contrast and Sharpening and no noise reduction. Then process in Capture One Pro 7. Auto exposure/levels/curves and pre-sharpening preset 2.

Left my earlier posted SPP/Lightroom version, right SPP/Capture One Pro 7.

Herb

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #332 on: October 30, 2012, 06:01:23 pm »

Hello :)

This is nice seeing so much new users and passion around the precious. He worth it ;)

In my corner (before working hard on Herb's LR pre-sets  ;)) I use my DP2m as my backstage camera and use it at High ISO.
So, during my last shoot, I did some Backstage parallel shoots who look very ok to me, colour and B&W. In this time of confusion (not the circle), were many ppl use "vintages" skins, instagram rendering and other plug in renderings (what I call "putting a soul in something who don't have soul"), the DP2 Merrill do it simply like film, in his own style :)

My grandma always said to me : "If you do it, do it with style !" A precept who fit particularly well to the DP2 Merrill isn't it ?  ;D

ISO 1000

Colour :

Black & White :

Kind Regards -  Hulyss Bowman | hulyssbowman.com |

Foveonic

« Reply #333 on: October 30, 2012, 06:16:26 pm »

Yes.....VERY, NICE!

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #334 on: October 30, 2012, 07:12:23 pm »

Thank You Akira. Your shoots are stunning too !! I love seeing people playing and enjoying there gear :)
Kind Regards -  Hulyss Bowman | hulyssbowman.com |

Foveonic

« Reply #335 on: October 30, 2012, 07:12:37 pm »

Herb19 I share your findings as well.....here is some F11 work.  I am primarily a Landscape Shooter, so I was pleasantly suprised to find an extremely usable near diffraction free F11.  Here are my 100% crops.....They are near perfect (notice tiny softness in "top left crop" at the top left corner of the crop). this can be witnessed in all 4 crops.....but the lens is near perfect, which is really, really hard to believe. This is a shot of a childs quilt laying on the floor and auto processed in Elements. I hit my image upload limit for one post, see following post for dead center and original shot.  I have witnessed negligible softness in only the extreme, and I mean extreme corners of several other posted corner crops from other users. It is so slight and so minimal that it is hardly worth mentioning.  In one comparison I witnessed corner sharpness which easily bested an M9 with Summicron glass attached.

Herb
[/quote]
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 08:51:06 pm by Foveonic »

Foveonic

« Reply #336 on: October 30, 2012, 07:13:31 pm »

Original quilt I took the crops from....plus the dead center 100% crop at F11.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 08:46:14 pm by Foveonic »

Foveonic

« Reply #337 on: October 30, 2012, 07:43:39 pm »

Foveonic, many thanks for all the links.  Now the perplexing question is, which one?  Do we think that a camera outfitted with a skin (or 2) would fit in the Milich grip and L-bracket?  How does one "take off" a grip?  Isn't it glued on somehow?
Nick, thanks for your response about Michael's post, which I had seen.  I've never "accessorized" a camera in this way before.  I can see there is a whole new world out there for me to explore and consider.
Idillic, when I am putting more than one camera in a bag together, I pull a sock over the ones I'm concerned about.  I pull a lightweight cotton sock over my DP2M and slip it into my purse.  Works.
Akira, I did like very much your image of the taraxacum.  How does that work, using a 50mm lens in conjunction with the DP2M?  I've done very little macro work (just used the 45mm macro -- 90mm equivalent -- on my GH2, so you can see I really have almost no familiarity with techniques for this) and have no idea how you achieved this shot.  It is beautiful.
     I ordered this camera from Sigma as soon as I saw Quentin's remarks and photo posts, and read Michael's hinting at how impressed he was with it.  And I have been pleased ever since to have the pleasure of using it and enjoying the results.  If I could figure out how one actually uploads an image onto this site, I might consider whether to post some of my results, but I do feel intimidated by some of what I see here.  L-L has been a real source of knowledge and inspiration for me.  Many thanks to all who contribute.  --Barbara

Barbara....all good ponderings.  
Not sure about the L-bracket being affected by the skins.
I have removed the skins on my DP2 twice already with no ill effect.
The Grip is also removable with no ill effect.
Close-up lens for the old DP2 works on this unit with a step down up ring and only costs 75$ on Ebay.

Best

« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 07:48:03 pm by Foveonic »

larkis

• My photography blog
« Reply #338 on: October 31, 2012, 02:00:15 am »

If anyone from sigma is listening, it would be nice if the "monochrome" white balance preset was selectable on the camera and the preview image was black and white. That way when the raw files come in they are already set to the monochrome setting. Right now black and white can only be selected when shooting jpg. If the raw preset can't be done via firmware, can we at least have the ability to view the screen in monochrome ?

idillic

« Reply #339 on: October 31, 2012, 06:34:22 am »

I joined a couple of pictures I took at Deakin University in Geelong today. They were two (handheld) shots with the DP1M. The join is not the best & I can always say it was crappy concrete formwork.  I had both DP cameras & I find I am using the DP1M 80% of the time mostly because I like photographing buildings.

The other picture was taken this last weekend with the DP2M.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 54   Go Up