Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Why used digital backs with Hasselblad H mount are usually cheaper?  (Read 17625 times)

EinstStein

It's so hard to find a used digital back for Contax 645. Used digital backs with Hasselblad H mount are usually much cheaper and more available.
Any reasons? Im thinking to give up the Contax 645 and switch to Hasselblad H instead. Especially after reading many recommendation on Hasselblad digital systems.
Does the Hasselblad H system now have the interchangible back again? I remember for a while the digital H systems are  close systems, with built-in digital back, But seems the H4D is interchangible again, and perhaps H5D too.

JV

Re: Why used digital backs with Hasselblad H mount are usually cheaper?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 11:09:35 pm »

EinstStein, I used to have both cameras.  This is one of the two reasons why I sold the Contax 645 and bought a digital back for the Hasselblad.  Contax 645 digital backs are very rare and tend to be more expensive.  The other reason was that the H1 had better autofocus.  I since then upgraded to a H2 and last year to a H4X.  The H4X is an excellent camera.  You can not buy it in the stores though.  You will need to trade in a H1 or a H2 and add a fair amount of cash.  FYI, the H4X takes all Phase One backs (I believe) and the Leaf Credo backs.  It does not take Leaf Aptus II backs!  The H4D only takes Hasselblad backs.

EinstStein

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 11:13:54 pm »

Does H4X take Hasselblad back too? What about film back?

EinstStein

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 11:19:24 pm »

I have  an awesome Contax 645 systems. I'm sure you know how sweet the Zeiss lenses are. But recently they start to show some needs for the lubricate and clean-ups. Due to the status of this system, the cost for the clean-ups are horrible. This adds up the motivation to jump the ship.
However, I'm not comfortable with Fujiblad's lenses. How do you compare the two? 

JV

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 11:36:40 pm »

The H4X takes film magazines.  I believe it is not compatible however with the H4D digital backs.
The lenses are in my opinion excellent as are the Contax 645 lenses.
I would perhaps go for a H1/H2 film kit, first shoot some rolls of film, see whether you like it and upgrade to the H4X with DB if you do.

FredBGG

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 02:38:04 am »

EinstStein, I used to have both cameras.  This is one of the two reasons why I sold the Contax 645 and bought a digital back for the Hasselblad.  Contax 645 digital backs are very rare and tend to be more expensive.  The other reason was that the H1 had better autofocus.  I since then upgraded to a H2 and last year to a H4X.  The H4X is an excellent camera.  You can not buy it in the stores though.  You will need to trade in a H1 or a H2 and add a fair amount of cash.  FYI, the H4X takes all Phase One backs (I believe) and the Leaf Credo backs.  It does not take Leaf Aptus II backs!  The H4D only takes Hasselblad backs.

The H4X would be able to take the Aptus backs, Hasselblad tried to fix it with new firmware.
Leaf did not want to fix the issue.

A guy on getDPI bought an H4X but had to sell it when he was told that leaf would not update the firmware.

It reasonably understandable for leaf to not want to invest scare resources to updating a back to a camera that you can't simply go out and buy,
but that does put a dent in their so called OPEN PLATFORM.
Well it's the type of marketing BS that one has to put up with in the MFD industry.

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/gear-fs-wtb/35978-fs-new-h4x.html?highlight=h4x

FredBGG

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 02:45:19 am »

I have  an awesome Contax 645 systems. I'm sure you know how sweet the Zeiss lenses are. But recently they start to show some needs for the lubricate and clean-ups. Due to the status of this system, the cost for the clean-ups are horrible. This adds up the motivation to jump the ship.
However, I'm not comfortable with Fujiblad's lenses. How do you compare the two? 

The Fujinons are excellent. Designed and built in the same plant as the Fuji gx680 lenses.

That said the Contax lenses are very nice. Most are similar to the Fuji lenses on the Hasselblad.
There is one stand out lens.... the Zeiss or should we say Zeiss-Kyocera

The three best 645 lenses are the Conax Zeiss 120mm macro, the Mamiya 150mm f2.8D and Hsselblad 100mm f2.2

EinstStein

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 12:45:09 am »

I tested HC 80mm on H2, the autofocus is very accurate with the spot meter. I can focus right at the eye ball within 0.1mm accuracy,..., in a distance of 3 meters.
However, it's very annoying that the H2/DB combination keeps on complaining "restart back error". I have to take off the back from the body then reattach to get ride of the problem, otherwise it won't reboot once it's power down. I was told this is not a problem particular to that set, it's a common problem. Sounds  like a bug. Once the problem shows up, restartig the back will also turn on the cooling fan. ..., sounds like a semiconductor latch-up or something. Very scary. 

JV

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 06:45:39 am »

However, it's very annoying that the H2/DB combination keeps on complaining "restart back error". I have to take off the back from the body then reattach to get ride of the problem, otherwise it won't reboot once it's power down. I was told this is not a problem particular to that set, it's a common problem. Sounds  like a bug. Once the problem shows up, restartig the back will also turn on the cooling fan. ..., sounds like a semiconductor latch-up or something. Very scary. 

You shouldn't have to do this.  Which version of the H2 firmware are you on? 
Also, which back are you using?  Given that you mention a coolling fan I assume it is not a Phase One back.

EinstStein

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 09:29:47 pm »

It's a Hasselblad back. Not Phase.

EinstStein

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 09:33:55 pm »

The back is HB CF, firmwaire is 211. The H2  firmware is 95.0, 15.5.5
Do I have operational error? what's the correct way?

marcmccalmont

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 10:24:14 pm »

I don't know where you live but I have had many lenses cleaned by John at Focalpoint
http://www.focalpointlens.com/fp_intro_body.html
excellent job and reasonable prices
Marc
Marc McCalmont

EinstStein

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 12:30:38 am »

Thanks for the repair reference.

gigdagefg

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 10:24:15 am »

talk to your dealer. my dealer eliminated this problem by reloading the software-if you don't have a dealer (which is a mistake IMO) call Hasselblad

Stanley

JV

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 08:07:15 pm »

talk to your dealer. my dealer eliminated this problem by reloading the software-if you don't have a dealer (which is a mistake IMO) call Hasselblad

Stanley

Alternatively you could try Paul_Claesson_HasselbladUS who is present on this forum.
He might be able to steer you in the right direction.
You camera firmware appears to be OK.  It is actually more up-to-date than mine.

Pingang

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2012, 11:32:59 pm »

The Fujinons are excellent. Designed and built in the same plant as the Fuji gx680 lenses.

That said the Contax lenses are very nice. Most are similar to the Fuji lenses on the Hasselblad.
There is one stand out lens.... the Zeiss or should we say Zeiss-Kyocera

The three best 645 lenses are the Conax Zeiss 120mm macro, the Mamiya 150mm f2.8D and Hsselblad 100mm f2.2

I think all the Contax 645AF lenses are all rather good, the Apo-Makro Plannar of course is among the best, the 45-90 is also great, image great and its size/balance is great and when shooting 2-3 meters distance, amazingly sharp.  I have always enjoy using Contax 645AF although today I use Phase backs on H2/H4X much more often but speak of user experience with Contax 645AF, still no comparison.
In the only two issue with Contax are that the system is no longer professionally serviced, and second that the viewfinder is somewhat dim compares to H system, but otherwise, the Contax lenses are all beautifully made and compact (except the 350/4), I was able to easily put 5 lenses and one body+back in my back with Contax 645 now now only 3 lenses and a body+back for H system.
It is perhaps the best medium format system ever made, let's hope miracle happens that Zeiss put it back to production again.

Pingang

EinstStein

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2012, 11:47:21 pm »

Stop talking about Contax 645 please. It's almost impossible to find an affordable digital back. Yu are making it even harder. I'm looking toward HB-H.

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2012, 05:27:22 pm »

I'm sure the old Zeiss lenses for Contax are great, but I suspect the Fuji lenses for Hasselblad would kick sand in their face - particularly the latest iterations.  My HC 50II is one of the sharpest lenses I have ever used.
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

fotomanchina

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2012, 11:37:12 pm »

i know where to get H,V,M,C adapters for really good price ,contact me on kim@fotoman.cc

EinstStein

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2012, 03:04:42 am »

H 100mm, 80mm, and 35mm are really excellent. In fact I find now a day almost all modern MF lenses are good. At least they are far more than good enough to me.
But saying H lens can kick sand to Zeiss's face is really a comedy. Sorry, I have closely handled both Zeiss and HB-H.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up