Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: How is this done  (Read 30114 times)

Tony Jay

Re: How is this done
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2012, 09:18:50 pm »

I am sad that AvidVisionary has been banned, however there is no doubt that his response was inappropriate.
In face-to-face communications none of us would tolerate not so much the initial outburst but the subsequent stubborn refusal to acknowledge any wrongdoing in his interactions. All of us who tried to reach him were rudely and abusively brushed aside.
AvidVisionary clearly believes that he has no obligations regarding civil intercourse, at least on the forum, but I believe that no distinction can be made. We all have obligations in society and an apparently anonymous forum does not change anything in my view.

My humble opinion

Tony Jay

Rob C

« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2012, 03:47:30 am »

fike -

At great personal risk, I have to ask: do you hug trees?

Rob C

P.S. Be grateful I didn't go that step further and write: do you still hug trees? ;-)

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2012, 08:03:54 am »

LuLa is a fabulous photo resource that I will continue to use for my learning and advancement, but my personal opinion of the compassion and fairness of the LuLa community has been sorely compromised.

I am guilty of a sarcastic joke in this thread myself, but in general I agree with you that the conversational tone in the wider forum has become slightly more unfriendly in the last while. Some of the remarks of the OP were way over the top and I don't disagree with banning him, but it's not this specific thread that I am referring to. Confrontation is not a requirement of having a strong opinion. A friendlier more low-key approach is not synonymous with weakness.
--
Robert

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2012, 09:05:43 am »

fike -
At great personal risk, I have to ask: do you hug trees?

Are you talking about a full two-armed hug where my entire body touches the tree or more of a one-armed man-hug?  But yes, I guess I do hug trees occasionally, but it really is just with trees I consider close friends.  Don't worry, we hold hands first.   ;D
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

texshooter

« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2012, 03:58:37 pm »

Here is how you do it. It's no secret. Just make sure you light the subject with enough rim light. The rest is dodging and burning in Photoshop. Although Dave Hill did not invent the technique, he's usually given credit for popularizing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtpoCagYz6s

To all copyright cops: this link has been posted for information purposes only. Don't you just love free speech!

Tony Jay

« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2012, 04:33:01 pm »

To all copyright cops: this link has been posted for information purposes only. Don't you just love free speech!

Aren't you being a bit inflammatory here?
AvidVisonary was banned for his appalling conduct.
The fact that he responded so badly to questions regarding posting images that did not belong to him is the issue, not ultimately whether he did attribute those images appropriately. All he needed to do was simply acknowledge his oversight and correct it and there would have been no issue.

However, considering what a massive issue copyright theft is becoming for photographers I am not sure that your jibe will be well received.
As for free speech - that right should not trump other responsibilities and obligations - you have had your say, whether you get any support will remain to be seen.

Regards

Tony Jay

Rob C

« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2012, 05:49:49 pm »

Here is how you do it. It's no secret. Just make sure you light the subject with enough rim light. The rest is dodging and burning in Photoshop. Although Dave Hill did not invent the technique, he's usually given credit for popularizing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtpoCagYz6s

Free speech does not imply a free lunch. Neither does it justify helping yourself to another's work without having the decency to ask first and await a response. Of course, if you have nothing that others may wish to pinch, your opinion on the matter may be quite different.

Rob C

Mjollnir

« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2012, 06:00:58 pm »

I'm still curious as to what a 'sweetie farm' might be.

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2012, 07:14:09 pm »

I'm still curious as to what a 'sweetie farm' might be.

I was wondering this myself. A google search reveals that it is, among other things, a name - there are people called "Sweetie Farm". That information gives me a gratuitous but not unwelcome feeling of being blessed, and provides some compensation for the regret I feel at not being called "Mjollnir" - a magnificent name whose owner I would avoid in any kind of bar fight.

Back on the topic, while agreeing that copyright violation is a serious matter and that the OP should have attributed his quotes and that Julie's comment was entirely unexceptionable, I think things are getting a bit out of hand on the other side of the argument when someone is accused of being inflammatory and of having achieved nothing in life merely for the offense of making a weak joke about copyright. If the joke police are allowed onto the site,  "who should 'scape whipping?"
Ken Cameron

Tony Jay

« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2012, 09:47:31 pm »

Ken, context is everything.
A joke in poor taste IS a joke in poor taste.

Regards

Tony Jay

Rob C

« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2012, 06:17:47 am »

"LuLa isn’t a sweetie farm, we don’t live in a chrysalis nor cocoon of cotton wool nor even one of milk and honey, and whether copying somebody else’s work to that extent falls within the remit of ‘fair use’ is a legalistic fine distinction concept that might save a few necks but still makes the hair on mine bristle. You may remember somebody else (?) on another part of the Forum doing exactly the same thing with another photographer’s work with rooms and furnishings; when challenged, he had the decency to remove the shots and refer to the original snapper’s site instead."

I'd have imagined that within the context of the same sentence the meaning of 'sweetie farm" would have been rendered plain. I can promise there was no allusion to any secret society nor, for that matter, Orwellian nightmare; I was quite unaware that those two words had already been spoken for by other interests! Soon there'll be nothing left in the language that we can use without payment. Oh, who was it that chipped in about free speech? Lawyers have been having a field day on this one for decades.

;-)

Rob C

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2012, 03:59:30 pm »

And many, perhaps most, of the best jokes are in poor taste. What's your point?

Jeremy

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2012, 06:06:08 pm »

Ken, context is everything.
Tony

I am not defending the quality of the joke. However, the rest of the post was right back on topic, after a long and unprofitable digression, and (to me at least), one of the more valuable parts of the thread. Jumping in on the joke diverted attention from that in favor of prolonging the brouhaha and seemed to me untypical of you, as your posts set a very high standard for courtesy and relevance. I guess maybe it takes a while for the ripples to die away when something nasty and shocking has been written.
Ken Cameron

Rob C

« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2012, 06:19:28 pm »

Tsunami.

Rob C

Tony Jay

« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2012, 08:21:31 pm »

I guess maybe it takes a while for the ripples to die away when something nasty and shocking has been written.

Maybe you are right Ken.
Thanks for the reality check anyway.

Regards

Tony Jay
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up