Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: How is this done  (Read 30109 times)

AvidVisionary

How is this done
« on: July 19, 2012, 07:00:10 pm »

What is the workflow for this kind of work.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 11:34:56 pm by AvidVisionary »

ckimmerle

• http://www.chuckkimmerle.com
Re: How is this done
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 12:51:41 am »

Starts off with excellent and well-though out lighting, multiple exposures, and many hours of Photoshop including color overlays, contrast masks, selective color, compositing, etc.
"The real voyage of discove

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 07:45:22 am »

Yes, a lot of very careful lighting and long hours compositing the results into a single image.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 08:11:34 am »

Some aspects of those effects are partially achieved with Photomatix Pro details enhancer using bracketed HDR shots.  Also, some of these suggest a technique that uses a bit of selective oversharpening by making duplicate layers and applying a high-pass filter with a wide radius and then applying an overlay or similar layer blend mode. This is kind of an overdone local contrast enhancement effect.  I agree with a previous poster that good lighting is important with these shots. Probably most are done with multiple strobes. Also, as others have said, several of them look composited instead of made from one image.
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

michswiss

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 10:21:07 am »

Given you've found these on 500px, have you thought about asking the photographer themselves?

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 03:44:06 pm »

Once we figure out exactly how it was done, is there any way to prevent it happening in the future?

(Sorry, just having some fun.)  :)
--
Robert

AvidVisionary

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 06:05:24 pm »

Thanks all for your replies. Very informative answers.

I never thought about asking them. Maybe I should.

Are there any online courses I can take learning how to do something like that? I looked at Lynda and Kelby but found nothing.

jule

• http://www.juliestephenson.net
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 04:27:50 am »

Avidvisionary , I'm going to be quite frank here; and I'm just wondering if you copied these from another site why you haven't credited the photographers for their images... an neither asked them in the first place for their permission and then asked them personally how they did it.

Perhaps you were a bit uncomfortable asking them in case they would not divulge their techniques... so then you plopped them in another public arena to ask here.

Julie

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 09:12:15 am »

+1 LOL

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 09:56:33 am »

Hey, they 'sample' in music, don't they?

What's a little theft if amongst 'friends'?

As Robert suggested, let's hope the technique becomes (quickly) a lost art. For me, it represents everything (almost everything) that I dislike about some contemporary photography: medium over message.

Rob C

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 11:24:44 am »

wow, people at this site have become unwelcoming.  I seriously doubt that the copying of this work to these forums was motivated by anything besides wanting to learn.  If you don't want to help, that's fine, and while I agree that these techniques are cliched, who am I or who are we to be the judge.  The OP wanted to learn something and a bunch of LL forum folks criticized the person's artistic taste and then suggested they were somehow stealing work that is presumed copyrighted. Without evidence to the contrary, I think we should assume an innocent and educational intent.

If I am taking sarcastic comments too seriously, you might consider the fact that a person who has been here for more than seven years didn't catch or appreciate the snark.

Rob C

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 01:34:28 pm »

wow, people at this site have become unwelcoming.  I seriously doubt that the copying of this work to these forums was motivated by anything besides wanting to learn.  If you don't want to help, that's fine, and while I agree that these techniques are cliched, who am I or who are we to be the judge.  The OP wanted to learn something and a bunch of LL forum folks criticized the person's artistic taste and then suggested they were somehow stealing work that is presumed copyrighted. Without evidence to the contrary, I think we should assume an innocent and educational intent.

If I am taking sarcastic comments too seriously, you might consider the fact that a person who has been here for more than seven years didn't catch or appreciate the snark.

Feppe

“If I am taking sarcastic comments too seriously, you might consider the fact that a person who has been here for more than seven years didn't catch or appreciate the snark.”

Time doesn’t always open the mind or the ears to all things; I should know: I’ve lost inches of hair from things flying right over the top of my head.

LuLa isn’t a sweetie farm, we don’t live in a chrysalis nor cocoon of cotton wool nor even one of milk and honey, and whether copying somebody else’s work to that extent falls within the remit of ‘fair use’ is a legalistic fine distinction concept that might save a few necks but still makes the hair on mine bristle. You may remember somebody else (?) on another part of the Forum doing exactly the same thing with another photographer’s work with rooms and furnishings; when challenged, he had the decency to remove the shots and refer to the original snapper’s site instead.

Regarding the images: they do, in my mind, represent much of the modern stuff that, to me, isn’t about photographic skills or ideas, but all about manipulation, and I think the less of that the better. Images shown here do nothing positive for me – I don’t at all like the ‘look’. But then, as a guy from the Dark Ages, I wouldn’t, unless I felt driven by a need to appear modern and soooo contemporary. You know, cutting edge, sharpest knife in the drawer, the dog's balls etc.

I also recognize that on an amateur photography site as this one surely is, it’s the technique things that are of great interest to many viewers who seek therein the Holy Grail of Creativity and, as an added benefit, instant fame.

Unfortunately, none of those things comes from reading about them, and by the time you catch someone else’s something novel, it’s already too late for you with that one.

;-)

Rob C

« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 01:37:25 pm by Rob C »

AvidVisionary

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 05:56:28 pm »

Avidvisionary , I'm going to be quite frank here; and I'm just wondering if you copied these from another site why you haven't credited the photographers for their images... an neither asked them in the first place for their permission and then asked them personally how they did it.

Perhaps you were a bit uncomfortable asking them in case they would not divulge their techniques... so then you plopped them in another public arena to ask here.

Julie

Is your brain up your ass? Credit them for what, exactly? You know, I have had enough of people like you on here coming onto a thread and derailing it from the original question. Condemning the original poster for asking a question and then leaving it to ruin. You know, a troll.

wow, people at this site have become unwelcoming.  I seriously doubt that the copying of this work to these forums was motivated by anything besides wanting to learn.  If you don't want to help, that's fine, and while I agree that these techniques are cliched, who am I or who are we to be the judge.  The OP wanted to learn something and a bunch of LL forum folks criticized the person's artistic taste and then suggested they were somehow stealing work that is presumed copyrighted. Without evidence to the contrary, I think we should assume an innocent and educational intent.

I felt the exact same. I am sure others on here do as well. They are afraid to ask questions in case they are scorned.

I appreciate and I am very thankful for those who are kind hearted to advise me.

Rob C

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 06:26:47 pm »

Is your brain up your ass? Credit them for what, exactly? You know, I have had enough of people like you on here coming onto a thread and derailing it from the original question. Condemning the original poster for asking a question and then leaving it to ruin. You know, a troll.

quote]

That you address a lady in such a manner says all about you that's worth knowing.

Regarding the photographer(s) you copied and posted here: crediting them for being the authors of the works you lifted is what the lady is suggesting.

But then, going on your form, that wouldn't be a thing you'd find normal, would it?

Rob C

AvidVisionary

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 06:45:10 pm »

That you address a lady in such a manner says all about you that's worth knowing.

Regarding the photographer(s) you copied and posted here: crediting them for being the authors of the works you lifted is what the lady is suggesting.

But then, going on your form, that wouldn't be a thing you'd find normal, would it?

Rob C

WAW!! Look at that quote. It's like you know me all my life.

First of all I didn't copy anything. I asked how it was done. Copying something is to keep it as your own without paying. Secondly, you have just proven my point of why people get angry and lash out. She derailed my thread with her personal view,a misguided one, and when I have enough you scorn me.

I really don't value your opinion of what you have to say. Specifically from an individual with a needle eye view of my history.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2012, 06:56:31 pm »

I have removed my posts in this thread as I do not want to be neither associated with, nor helpful to a member who uses such language, especially with a lady.

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2012, 07:30:54 pm »

That doesn't help either. If you took a moment to look at her website, you would see that she is a talented photographer artist...like most everyone else here...who deserves respect.

LuLa isn’t a sweetie farm...

Hardly something to be proud of.

AvidVisionary

« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2012, 07:46:41 pm »

You must give to receive.

However, I do see your view fike.

jule

• http://www.juliestephenson.net
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2012, 08:11:52 pm »

Thank you sincerely for those who have stood up for me in this arena. I am truly overwhelmed and quite humbled. Thank you.

I do not wish for there to be any ill-feeling created on my behalf however...and am willing as always to accept the consequences of my own thoughts and words. If AvidVisionary was standing right in front of me... I still would have said exactly what I wrote.... and been corrected if necessary by him if in fact my assertions were incorrect.... with an apology forthcoming from myself.

In this case I am neither a troll... nor did I consider I was derailing the thread because I questioned why the poster did not ask the artist for their technique.

As an artist I consider it inappropriate to copy.... (as in the act of placing it in this forum you most probably used "COPY and  paste") in another arena work of another artist, without somewhere having an acknowledgement of who the artist is - regardless of one thinks the art is 'worthy' of being credited or not.  

In my view...it would have been more appropriate to say.... "Here are some images from xxxxxx... how do you think they are done."

To flare up towards me so strongly I feel was very defensive and actually uncalled for. A simple "No Julie... I didn't think to credit them.... nor did I think to ask them... you are incorrect" I feel would have been more respectful and I would have immediately apologised. As the crew here know... i say things usually quite bluntly and openly.. and say thing show I see it. ... which is what I did above.

Thank you once again to those who have recognised my value, contribution and support I give to others here.

Julie

Tony Jay

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2012, 08:33:44 pm »

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the points raised by Julie.
To attack her personally in such a fashion is completely uncalled for.
Two wrongs (from you) definately do not make a right.

This forum is not unwelcoming by any stretch of the imagination.
It is a very dynamic mix of amateurs and professionals, complete newbies through to world renowned photographers.
Combine this with the illusion of anonymity given the nature of the communications on a forum can result in a certain tension at times.
Nonetheless nearly all the communications on this site are conducted with civility and respect even when correction and critique are called for.

I would suggest a certain acceptance from you that to post an image that was not yours with no recognition of the author on a site such as this was unwise. That author (or copyright holder) does have rights that you have trampled on even if that was not your motive.
An apology to Julie and the copyright holder would be right and proper in my opinion.

Regards

Tony Jay
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up