Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Creating Meaningful Photographs  (Read 68187 times)

Isaac

Re: Creating Meaningful Photographs
« Reply #160 on: June 08, 2012, 11:43:29 pm »

Since as of yet there is nothing beyond the level of Senior Member, I can't reach the conclusion that this thread has descended into mere post count enhancement.  But you could have fooled me.
You should of course hope for better, but there's abundant evidence in other LL discussions that the self-amusement of a few will clog every topic.

Ray

« Reply #161 on: June 08, 2012, 11:54:04 pm »

Ray it is possible that it is a juvenile Nankeen Night Heron since the image is rather front on.
Nonetheless the Nankeen and Bittern are very closely related species as evidenced by their similar beak and body shape.

Regards

Tony Jay

Tony, I definitely get the impression the Wikipedia photo more closely resembles my shot. However, looking at the other shots I took of this bird, I sense a distinct hunchback feature which is lacking in the Wikipedia shot, so I admit there could be some doubt. However, this posture may be due to my bird being super-attentive to prey wriggling in the water below.

But you have to admit this bird is absolutely huge for a juvenile, judging by my previous shot.  ;D

Below is another shot of the same bird facing a different direction.

Colorado David

« Reply #162 on: June 09, 2012, 12:08:38 am »

You should of course hope for better, but there's abundant evidence in other LL discussions that the self-amusement of a few will clog every topic.

I'm on another forum that acknowledges the Page Two Rule; after the first page of a topic, the discussion can move off in any direction.  Now, I'm going to shut up lest anyone think I'm trying to enhance my own post count.

Isaac

« Reply #163 on: June 09, 2012, 12:09:05 am »

Well, I think you know what I mean.  As I said, it is just down to what the photographer wants to do really.  They decide what to show - the viewer decides if they like the image or not. Simple.

Well, except when you find out how the image was made and then - "as photographs they have lost their message to me".

When I glance at an image, and then I discover how the light was modified or how the image was modified -- I don't seem bothered.

When I think I understand what an image is showing me, but then I discover I've misunderstood -- I feel stupid and credulous.

When I'm told that an image is such and such, but then I discover it isn't -- I feel deceived and angry.

If I assume an image was made the way that I would make and process a photograph, then I'm setting up a foolish expectation and I'm likely to end up feeling stupid and credulous -- I think it's better to be curious and wonder how an image might have been made.

Isaac

« Reply #164 on: June 09, 2012, 12:13:20 am »

... after the first page of a topic, the discussion can move off in any direction.
Is starting a new topic (or cackling on Twitter) really so difficult?

Oh, I forgot - the point is to put the cackling in front of a captive audience.

Ray

« Reply #165 on: June 09, 2012, 01:03:27 am »

I'm on another forum that acknowledges the Page Two Rule; after the first page of a topic, the discussion can move off in any direction.  Now, I'm going to shut up lest anyone think I'm trying to enhance my own post count.

I'm not sure if the 'enhanced post count' reference is to me, or Rob who may appear, to some, to be attempting to catch up with me.

From my perspective, this is a silly concern. My post count has no bearing whatsoever on my motives, inspiration or desire to make a post. I write soley in pursuit of my interest and hobby, photography. The fact that I am now closely approaching 8,000 post has no specific relevance at all for me, just as the fact that I am closely approaching the age of 70 has no specific relevance.

In fact, the older I get the less I wish to dwell upon my advancing years. The recent Queen's Diamond Jubilee celebration in the U.K. was a total bore for me, and a huge waste of money. (Well, perhaps I exaggerate. I did enjoy Elgar's Pomp & Circumstance March, and 'Land of Hope and Glory' is certainly a rousing piece of music.)

Rob C

« Reply #166 on: June 09, 2012, 03:25:54 am »

In the high expectation that the topic is supposed to be about meaningful images, how many such, with a real and visible sense of meaning, have been shown?

Clearly, it's far simpler a matter (and convenient) to bitch about something than to actually show a meaningful image of one's own. Or so I seem to deduce from the pious pri--(s) sometimes giving their egos an airing on these pages...

Post-count? Who even looks at the figures? I'll tell you who does: the moron with nothing better to do.

Ray? I have no, idea how many posts he may or may not have made: I see (read) him as an intelligent, educated writer with a slightly odd sense of humour that appeals to me. That can't be a bad thing. A tad too much interest in technology? Perhaps, but from whose perspective? Some other postmen? Short exposure has sufficed to tell me they aren't worth the bother of a repy. Nature - as water, which I suppose is part of nature - always finds its own level (as did the guys setting up the levels for the new tiles on my terrace: they worked with a transparent plastic pipe filled with it, relying on the levels system to make a true level out of the two ends) - and so I realised long ago that a shared interest isn't always enough to sustain relationships, real or virtual.

But then, you knew that.

Rob C

Tony Jay

« Reply #167 on: June 09, 2012, 03:46:54 am »

Ray this may be the Heron but the posture really reminds me of a Bittern.
Interestingly though I rechecked the ranges of these birds.
The Heron is widely distributed in Queensland including the Wet Tropics but the Bittern is relatively uncommon in the Wet Tropics although it can be seen there.
Both species are large birds with a height between 50-60 cm or larger.

Actually , I just wish it had been me shooting this bird on the banks of the Daintree River!

Regards

Tony Jay

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #168 on: June 09, 2012, 05:06:40 am »

Actually , I just wish it had been me shooting this bird on the banks of the Daintree River!
Actually, I wish it had been me shooting the other bird on that log.

Heron or Bittern - when you reside on the other side of the planet, it doesn't seem that important.
However, I wonder, how did this bird, with all his varigated plummage and gargantuan size, avoid to show any moire?
Must have been photographed by some fancy camera without the AA filter. Or perhaps, Ray used excessive amount of post processing to drastically manipulate this image.

Tony Jay

« Reply #169 on: June 09, 2012, 05:12:52 am »

Actually, I wish it had been me shooting the other bird on that log.

Horses for courses is suppose!
Actually I wouldn't have minded shooting either except the outdoors is my bent when a camera is in hand.

Regards

Tony Jay
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 05:19:33 am by Tony Jay »

Ray

« Reply #170 on: June 09, 2012, 05:54:30 am »

But beware of the snakes and the crocodiles, Tony.  ;D

Tony Jay

« Reply #171 on: June 09, 2012, 05:56:39 am »

Mere grist for the mill Ray!

Regards

Tony Jay

Ray

« Reply #172 on: June 09, 2012, 07:51:31 am »

You wouldn't believe the trouble I had getting this lady to pose in the snow, bare-footed. I could have done a better job, but you understand the pressure I had to deal with, so sorry if this is not quite up to standard.  ;)

This shot was taken in Nepal as we approached the ABC camp around an altitiude of 4,000 metres. It actually looks colder than it is. My footwear was just a pair of Nike joggers, against all advice. But they were comfortable, and with two pairs of socks I didn't feel cold.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #173 on: June 09, 2012, 08:03:28 am »

The lady looks like she was enjoying the location, but the scene is ruined by too many foot prints.
It's hard to see whether they were made by some Niki sneaker fan or by a juvenile Yeti.
The other problem with this image is that it is somewhat unbalanced. You might consider adding a Bittern to the left side. Or the aforementioned Yeti.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 08:08:22 am by LesPalenik »

Rob C

« Reply #174 on: June 09, 2012, 08:35:05 am »

In similar vein, you might consider removing the pink glow from the lady's chest - it's a distraction. But hell, you don't have to stop at the glow... meaningful, no doubt as it is, but still distracting.

Oh! I just got it: being so high up in the sky, you can get both sunrises and sunsets at the same time! Why didn't I think of that: explains the pink glow.

Rob C
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 08:37:08 am by Rob C »

Ray

« Reply #175 on: June 09, 2012, 09:04:05 am »

The other problem with this image is that it is somewhat unbalanced. You might consider adding a Bittern to the left side. Or the aforementioned Yeti.

Okay! You caught me out. I'll restore the kangaroo. I just didn't think a kangaroo would be appropriate in such an environment, but the truth must prevail.  ;D

Rob C

« Reply #176 on: June 09, 2012, 04:03:26 pm »

¿But Ray, where's the Christmas tree?

Rob C

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #177 on: June 09, 2012, 04:49:00 pm »

I like the scene with kangoroo, it works for me. The animal looks very realistic, almost alive.
You are to be complemented that as a true artist, you didn't stretch or warp the poor animal. Big fellow, but all animals living in that environment develop thick and heavy coat.

Ray, you were very lucky to be in that place when he jumped out on the trail. And even the composition is pure and perfect as his long tail on the left edge leads the viewer gently into the scene. Mind you, the mountains in the background could benefit by some dodging and enhanced lighting, but that would be distortion of the reality.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 04:59:56 pm by LesPalenik »

Ray

« Reply #178 on: June 09, 2012, 11:03:33 pm »

I like the scene with kangoroo, it works for me. The animal looks very realistic, almost alive.
You are to be complemented that as a true artist, you didn't stretch or warp the poor animal. Big fellow, but all animals living in that environment develop thick and heavy coat.

Ray, you were very lucky to be in that place when he jumped out on the trail. And even the composition is pure and perfect as his long tail on the left edge leads the viewer gently into the scene. Mind you, the mountains in the background could benefit by some dodging and enhanced lighting, but that would be distortion of the reality.

Thank you. Yes, I was fortunate in getting that shot. As I mentioned, my companion was very reluctant to take off her shoes and pose for the shot, so I agreed to share her discomfort by removing my Nike Joggers and two pairs of socks, just temporarily whilst framing the shot

So we were both standing there, bare-footed in the snow, when this kangaroo suddenly hopped onto the scene. I guess he was attracted to the strange pose the lady was in, which he sensed was perhaps vaguely similar to some of the poses other kangaroos get into, when they are having a good scratch.

I quickly took the shot, then the kangaroo bolted. Perhaps the sound of the shutter frightened him. Didn't get a chance for a second shot.  ;)

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #179 on: June 09, 2012, 11:27:22 pm »

Ray,

I think you need to go back to the same scene again with a different camera. Specifically, one with a totally silent electronic shutter so you won't scare the kangaroo away before he/she/it signs a model release for you.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up