Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Creating Meaningful Photographs  (Read 68058 times)

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
Re: Creating Meaningful Photographs
« Reply #140 on: June 06, 2012, 02:40:52 pm »

Would it be okay if he moves the trees with a telephoto and warps mountains with a super-wide? ;-)

Well, I think you know what I mean.  As I said, it is just down to what the photographer wants to do really.  They decide what to show - the viewer decides if they like the image or not. Simple.

Jim

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #141 on: June 06, 2012, 02:43:09 pm »

Well Jim, you'll have to ask the girl. Some like to be reminded of days that used to be - I, for one, listen to those sorts of songs most of the day - but others see only the passage of time and that's not always a comfortable or rewarding sight at all. As I say, better ask the girl.

On the other hand, if everything is cool between you both, why not take another such piccy and post it here under Without Prejudice and not a soul will pass comment, thus saving face all round or, perversely, hiding acclaim and assorted congratulations. As has been observed before, you can't win both ways. Or, if you can, you're better off working the stock exchange instead of a camera. Anyway, to save time and effort, you could always forget the tree and just remain closer to the subject.

I look forward to the update.

;-)

Rob C

I'm beginning to suspect your motives are not purely to do with the subject of photography. :)

Rob C

« Reply #142 on: June 06, 2012, 05:15:45 pm »

I'm beginning to suspect your motives are not purely to do with the subject of photography. :)

Whatever would make you think that?

Puzzled -

Rob C

HSway

• Sunwaysite
« Reply #143 on: June 07, 2012, 04:59:36 am »

The selling aspect of a photograph/photography gets emphasised often in this thread.

The photography is not a commodity per se. And will never be turned into a typical one even in our commercial world. Its inherent meaning will simply be never exhausted by its also-commercial use and aspect.

Direct sales and commerce it’s part of it, it’s part of everything, but the photography holds much more than this. Its influence on quality of photography and in general in many other areas is not always and by far only positive. Commerce, let alone signs of mass use, almost of anything brings its own character with it and is no surprise many branches of human activities protect their field of interest (and values) against these influences.

I thought it a good reminder worth keeping in mind when putting arguments on this topic (Creating Meaningful Photographs).

Hynek

Ray

« Reply #144 on: June 07, 2012, 07:00:09 am »

I like the way this Cambodian Apsara dancer is balancing on the log, but I just can't remember the name of the bird. The gargantuan feathered bird, that is. I must be getting old.

If anyone reading this thread is familiar with this species of bird, please let me know. The shot was taken on the Daintree River, North Queensland.

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #145 on: June 07, 2012, 07:35:33 am »

Never mind the bird!  If you carefully clone it out, you would get a clean Venus Transit over the log.

Rob C

« Reply #146 on: June 07, 2012, 09:05:27 am »

Les, I believe you're more like me than you'd imagined; it's always important to get priorities right!

Can't imagine what Ray was thinking about. Ray, Wray - does anyone else remember them?

Rob C

Ray

« Reply #147 on: June 07, 2012, 09:07:55 am »

Never mind the bird!  If you carefully clone it out, you would get a clean Venus Transit over the log.

But I don't believe in cloning out major features in a scene. That would be a distortion of reality.  ;)

Rob C

« Reply #148 on: June 07, 2012, 10:02:24 am »

But I don't believe in cloning out major features in a scene. That would be a distortion of reality.  ;)

But Ray, it's the feathered bird you cloned in; that, too, must be a distortion of a reality, so you might as well make amends and take it out, just like Janis Joplin tried to do in her conversation regarding friends, Porsches and Mercedes.

You'll improve the picture vastly - trust me on this one. Oh - a touch of five o'clock foot shadow wouldn't go amiss either since you're not selling trainers and flight sensations...

Rob C

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #149 on: June 07, 2012, 10:25:10 am »

But I don't believe in cloning out major features in a scene. That would be a distortion of reality.
You have a valid point, Ray.
However, after a thorough analysis, now I feel that in order to salvage the image and arrive at a more harmonious and balanced scene, you should consider replacing that unsightly bird with a more vibrant one.  BTW, I happen to have one that would be facing in the right direction towards the major element.

theguywitha645d

« Reply #150 on: June 07, 2012, 10:35:15 am »

The best way to add meaning to a photograph is to put words over it...

Ray

« Reply #151 on: June 07, 2012, 10:49:55 am »

You have a valid point, Ray.
However, after a thorough analysis, now I feel that in order to salvage the image and arrive at a more harmonious and balanced scene, you should consider replacing that unsightly bird with a more vibrant one.  BTW, I happen to have one that would be facing in the right direction towards the major element.

The major element for the bird is a fish swimming in the water below. He hasn't yet noticed the tasty homo sapiens morsel. The fish has a greater priority, but the lady doesn't realise this.  ;D

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #152 on: June 07, 2012, 01:58:21 pm »

Hmmm

I hadn't actually got around to reading Alain's article till just now. But this statement -

"In art, only things that are new are of interest to art collectors and admirers.  What has already been done is of no interest in regards to developing a personal style, being unique, making a name for yourself, being noticed, being collected or becoming a true artist."

Is just bollocks, I'm afraid. We all stand on the shoulders of everything which has gone before.

John

« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 01:59:53 pm by John R Smith »
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

Isaac

« Reply #153 on: June 07, 2012, 10:13:23 pm »

We all stand on the shoulders of everything which has gone before.

As Henri Cartier-Bresson once said of himself, Robert Capa, and Brassaï, “Whatever we have done, Kertész did first.”

Tony Jay

« Reply #154 on: June 08, 2012, 05:42:17 am »

If anyone reading this thread is familiar with this species of bird, please let me know. The shot was taken on the Daintree River, North Queensland.  

This bird is the Australian Bittern.

Regards

Tony Jay

BTW: Fantastic place to take a camera, the Daintree - I haven't been there for a while but I will be back.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 05:44:10 am by Tony Jay »

Ray

« Reply #155 on: June 08, 2012, 09:23:29 am »

This bird is the Australian Bittern.

Regards

Tony Jay

BTW: Fantastic place to take a camera, the Daintree - I haven't been there for a while but I will be back.

Thanks! It seems its also called the Australasian Bittern and the Brown Bittern. It also appears to be on the list of endangered species. Winter is a great time to visit the Daintree. I recommend taking a river trip early in the morning. The mist can be magical.

Cheers!

Ray

« Reply #156 on: June 08, 2012, 10:15:25 am »

On the other hand, Tony, I'm not sure it's a Bittern. A  friend has recently emailed me and informed me it's a juvenile Nankeen Night Heron. A search on the internet tends to confirm this is indeed the case. Below are pictures of the juvenile and the adult Nankeen Night Heron from Wikipedia.

Cheers!

Rob C

« Reply #157 on: June 08, 2012, 02:21:14 pm »

Okay, you want meaningful pictures - here's one: very bloody meaningful and extremely expensive to boot. Or rather, to complete and replace with new tiles and different type of wall - basically, no new wall at all, but an edge tile (fiola) that prevents drainwater spilling back down onto the wall below the edge as gravity beckons it to the garden.

The moral question here is immense: should a builder's guarantee be limited to ten years? The work is being carried out because of water ingress to the apartment leading to a stained fitted carpet, this because of insufficient slope for good drainage, poor insulation of the building's main water tank which lives beneath this terrace, but the book can be bought or read in the public libraries of every country around the Mediterranean, so I won't bother writing it again for you here and now.

Hot damn! The price of dreams!

Rob C
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 02:24:00 pm by Rob C »

Tony Jay

« Reply #158 on: June 08, 2012, 04:30:47 pm »

On the other hand, Tony, I'm not sure it's a Bittern. A  friend has recently emailed me and informed me it's a juvenile Nankeen Night Heron. A search on the internet tends to confirm this is indeed the case. Below are pictures of the juvenile and the adult Nankeen Night Heron from Wikipedia.

Ray it is possible that it is a juvenile Nankeen Night Heron since the image is rather front on.
Nonetheless the Nankeen and Bittern are very closely related species as evidenced by their similar beak and body shape.

Regards

Tony Jay

Colorado David

« Reply #159 on: June 08, 2012, 11:15:39 pm »

Since as of yet there is nothing beyond the level of Senior Member, I can't reach the conclusion that this thread has descended into mere post count enhancement.  But you could have fooled me.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10   Go Up