Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HELP! - Can I do this in LR4?  (Read 4472 times)

Alistair

HELP! - Can I do this in LR4?
« on: April 09, 2012, 11:45:44 am »

I want to export smaller jpegs for web upload from a Collection of raw files that all originated from different folders and I want the smaller jpegs to be added to the Collection. I can see how to add the jpegs to the original folders but not to add them to the Collection. Anyone?
Alistair

eliedinur

Re: HELP! - Can I do this in LR4?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 05:49:33 pm »

After the jpgs have been added to the folders, filter by metadata/format and select the jpgs. Right-click on the collection name and on "Add selected photos to collection".
Roll over Ed Weston,
Tell Ansel Adams th

Mark F

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 09:27:55 pm »

And if it turns out that you already have many other jpegs so a metadata search will bring up too many, before moving them to the folders try tagging the ones you want with a color you do not usually use . Then do a metadata search using both jpeg and the color criteria. That will narrow the search results.
Mark

aduke

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 09:41:47 pm »

Another way to do this is to not place the exported images in the Catalog, but within a folder already in the catalog. After exporting, select the synchronize the target folder, select Previous Import in the Catalog section of the Library Module, select the newly imported images and make a collection of them or add all of them to some existing collection.

Alan

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 02:36:43 am »

Yup. Alan got to it before I did.  Or you could create a 'watch folder', set Lightroom to auto import from that folder, and export the .jpg files there.  They'd be automatically imported and you could add them to the collection from there.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

Alistair

Many Thanks
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 12:35:26 pm »

Many thanks to all you generous folk who have supplied a workaround for this. Much appreciated.

As an aside, I would personally find it very useful to have a checkbox in the Export dialogue box to enable the jpegs to inherit the Flags, Ratings, Colour Labels and Collections of the parent raw file.

Regards

Alistair
Alistair

JeanMichel

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 02:26:17 pm »

What about assigning a keyword to all the files you want to export as jpg's; make your collection a smart collection and simply include the keyword as a condition for your collection. The exports will go the the original folders and be automatically added to your smart collection.
Jean-Michel

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 02:48:08 pm »

Alastair

It may be worth asking what benefit you expect from re-importing JPEGs which you've exported for web upload? It would be more usual to export them, upload, and then trash the JPEGs that you just exported - ie to treat them as temporary files. While Lightroom will happily manage twice as many pictures, you are now going to have to distinguish the raws and these JPEGs. Just a thought.

John

Alistair

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2012, 02:54:07 pm »

What about assigning a keyword to all the files you want to export as jpg's; make your collection a smart collection and simply include the keyword as a condition for your collection. The exports will go the the original folders and be automatically added to your smart collection.
Jean-Michel

That is perfectly brilliant. Why could I not think of that. Thank you so much.

Alistair
Alistair

Alistair

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 02:59:25 pm »

Alastair

It may be worth asking what benefit you expect from re-importing JPEGs which you've exported for web upload? It would be more usual to export them, upload, and then trash the JPEGs that you just exported - ie to treat them as temporary files. While Lightroom will happily manage twice as many pictures, you are now going to have to distinguish the raws and these JPEGs. Just a thought.

John

Of course you are very right in pointing this out. However I find I do from time to time find myself wanting to access smaller versions of photos, usually from a particular collection, a number of times for various reasons. Once properly addressed in LR using keywords, collections etc, they are so easy to locate in LR and from LR to go to the folder in MS Explorer and then email (or upload) them from there. Just my particular situation I guess.

Regards
Alistair
Alistair

aduke

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 03:08:10 pm »

Of course you are very right in pointing this out. However I find I do from time to time find myself wanting to access smaller versions of photos, usually from a particular collection, a number of times for various reasons. Once properly addressed in LR using keywords, collections etc, they are so easy to locate in LR and from LR to go to the folder in MS Explorer and then email (or upload) them from there. Just my particular situation I guess.

Regards
Alistair

I built an export preset to do that. The folder is on the desktop and is known to my browser, so it takes only a very few keystrokes to send them on to their destination.

Alan

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 03:42:23 pm »

Alastair

Do you know Lightroom 4 has an email feature (in LR3 there were workarounds) so you could just select a raw file and email it directly?

Also re uploading, if you're doing this via FTP there is a free FTP plugin  - it's in the Lightroom 3 SDK http://www.adobe.com/devnet/photoshoplightroom.html (which is for Windows and Mac). Again, I hope this helps.

John

Alistair

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 04:30:04 pm »

Alastair

Do you know Lightroom 4 has an email feature (in LR3 there were workarounds) so you could just select a raw file and email it directly?

Also re uploading, if you're doing this via FTP there is a free FTP plugin  - it's in the Lightroom 3 SDK http://www.adobe.com/devnet/photoshoplightroom.html (which is for Windows and Mac). Again, I hope this helps.

John

Goodness, I was not aware of that. Thank you so much for pointing that out. I am actually starting to feel a little inadequate as I thought I knew something about LR! Thanks to all who have contributed.

Best Regards
Alistair
Alistair
Pages: [1]   Go Up