Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Arca D4 geared Head  (Read 23179 times)

ccroft

Re: Arca D4 geared Head
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2012, 09:53:33 pm »

I called mine the Frankenhead because I wanted to mount RRS before the Hejnar adapter came along. I literally got out the hacksaw and file and went to town on it. The adapter is a much friendlier solution, though the saw lightens it quite a bit...

In my experience the weight diff between 410 and D4 is quite noticeable, especially on a light carbon tripod. 410 felt fine on aluminum Manfro, but the whole rig felt top heavy with my present tripod. D4 specs roughly 1/3 lighter.

To Erik: I'm not having any interference problems between RRS and D4, but I chose one of the smallest clamps: the B2 40 LR. It's about the same size as the top plate of the head.

Rod.Klukas

• http://www.rodklukas.com
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2012, 08:49:26 pm »

How do you find it compares with the C1 Cube head? The cube head is certainly a lot lighter.

Actually, the C-1 Cube weighs 925 grams and the D4 weighs 800 grams. Here is a link to the C-1 Cube product manual:
http://rodklukas.com/resources/Arca-Swiss_C1-Cube.pdf   

On June 8-11, I will be demonstrating the Arca-Swiss RM3di and RL3d cameras in the San Francisco area. I will also be demonstrating C-1 Cube and D4 heads.
If you are interested in seeing the tripod heads and cameras, or shooting a few images, then contact me in advance for details. Hope to see you there.

Rod Klukas
Rod Klukas
US Representative Arca-Swiss

shadowblade

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2012, 11:02:04 am »

Actually, the C-1 Cube weighs 925 grams and the D4 weighs 800 grams. Here is a link to the C-1 Cube product manual:
http://rodklukas.com/resources/Arca-Swiss_C1-Cube.pdf   

On June 8-11, I will be demonstrating the Arca-Swiss RM3di and RL3d cameras in the San Francisco area. I will also be demonstrating C-1 Cube and D4 heads.
If you are interested in seeing the tripod heads and cameras, or shooting a few images, then contact me in advance for details. Hope to see you there.

Rod Klukas

I'm on the other side of the planet!

Must have been looking at something other than the D4, that looks similar but weighs 1.7kg...

In any case, which one do you find works better for landscapes, and why?

stewarthemley

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2012, 12:09:20 pm »

+1 for the 410. Great head for the money.

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2012, 12:25:23 pm »

I'm on the other side of the planet!

Must have been looking at something other than the D4, that looks similar but weighs 1.7kg...

In any case, which one do you find works better for landscapes, and why?
a link to Dood camera with specs on the D4: http://doddcamera.com/spec_sheet.html?catalog%5Bname%5D=Arca-Swiss-D4-Tripod-Head-Tripod-heads&catalog%5Bproduct_guids%5D%5B0%5D=755029

"+1 for the 410. Great head for the money."

It is a decent head married to a lousy QR system.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2012, 02:31:35 pm »

"+1 for the 410. Great head for the money."

It is a decent head married to a lousy QR system.

The Manfrotto QR system can be replaced with an Arca style clamp very easily. I got mine via Ebay as soon as I found out about it, and it works fine on my 405 (the bigger brother of the 410).

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Ellis Vener

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2012, 04:35:23 pm »

Yes Bart it certainly can be, I did  something similar - adding an Arca-Swiss type clamp to a 405's QR plate (but not removing the Mantrottos QR lock and release release mechanism) - back in  the late 1990s. The Hejnar adapter, which looks well made, adds $115 to the cost of the 405.

The point remains that the Manfrotto QR is a lousy design.

torger

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2012, 10:05:22 am »

What's up with the D4 head? Why is it never in stock? Is there some manufacturing problem, or is it just so immensely popular that everything is sold right away?

"delivery time currently not available" since several months on arca-shop.de

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2012, 11:45:15 am »

What's up with the D4 head? Why is it never in stock? Is there some manufacturing problem, or is it just so immensely popular that everything is sold right away?

"delivery time currently not available" since several months on arca-shop.de
Erik Kaffehr

Ellis Vener

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2012, 01:45:21 pm »

Apparently the latter - overwhelming demand and the size (small) of Arca-swiss' manufacturing facilities.

torger

« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2012, 02:32:04 am »

Apparently the latter - overwhelming demand and the size (small) of Arca-swiss' manufacturing facilities.

Oh... perhaps one should put oneself in some sort of queue then.

I'm not surprised that there is large demand, there are not many heads like it. There's this one, and there's the manfrotto head (great price/performance but some quality issues and does not work well with large base plates a la gitzo), and then there's various cubes (slower to work with, more expensive) and very large and heavy geared heads for studio work.

D4 seems to be the best one can get...

Ellis Vener

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2012, 10:22:48 am »

I'm not surprised that there is large demand, there are not many heads like it. There's this one, and there's the manfrotto head (great price/performance but some quality issues and does not work well with large base plates a la gitzo), and then there's various cubes (slower to work with, more expensive) and very large and heavy geared heads for studio work.

The Arca-Swiss D4 and D4m also have something else going for them that no other tripod head (except maybe the original Arca-Swiss B1 Monoball) has: It is a truly beautiful object as well as a deeply functional tool. I have a D4m as I couldn't find the geared version. I love it for both single frame and stitched panoramic work.

jgbowerman

« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2012, 11:12:13 am »

The Arca-Swiss D4 and D4m also have something else going for them that no other tripod head (except maybe the original Arca-Swiss B1 Monoball) has: It is a truly beautiful object as well as a deeply functional tool. I have a D4m as I couldn't find the geared version. I love it for both single frame and stitched panoramic work.

I have the D4m as well (did not desire the D4), and I can second Ellis on his assessment. It is a fantastic tripod head, I can't imagine ever getting another. Previously, I used a BH-40, it does not come close to functionality nor esthetics when compared to the D4m.

Ellis Vener

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2012, 12:01:07 pm »

The D4 is now my standard lightweight /medium weight head. It also often gets used in place on the much more massive Foba ASMIA head plus Really Right Stuff PCL-1 Panning clamp combination as the weak spots with that set up is the PCL-1 along with the sheer size and weight of the ASMIA.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 12:17:33 pm by Ellis Vener »

Rod.Klukas

• http://www.rodklukas.com
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2012, 12:05:13 pm »

Torger,
D4/D4M can handle 30KG. so No problem.
Rod
Rod Klukas
US Representative Arca-Swiss

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2012, 01:13:29 am »

Hi!

I have the D4 and love it! Ordered my from Robert White UK, and it was shipped same day, as far as I can recall. The one I had was the one with the Fliplock. I replaced the Fliplock with an RRS LR type quick release. It was easily done using a standard 3.5 mm Allen ket (specially ordered at the hardware store at, it did cost 8 SEK, best investment I ever made!).

I checked back at Robert White a couple of days ago, and they have a long backlog, I think.

The original fliplock is not bad, by the way. I still use it on a Fluid head I also have.

Best regards
Erik

Erik Kaffehr

torger

« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2013, 05:06:41 pm »

Worth adding to this thread is that Arca has started to glue the clamp so it can no longer be changed. I found this to be very disappointing when I got my D4 today. Why?!  >:( So I'm stuck with the less then excellent original quick release. The head itself is great though.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 05:12:34 pm by torger »

NancyP

« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2013, 07:24:16 pm »

Ask Rod Klukas which type of Loctite is used. If it is Loctite Red 271, you are ..screwed..(sorry), Red is permanent and can only be removed by heating to 500 degrees. If it is Loctite Blue 242 or Loctite Green 290, you are in luck, because the Blue and Green types are intended to secure screws from vibration but still allow unscrewing with hand tools when servicing is needed. Localized heating up to 250 degrees may be required. Let cool to room temperature. Remove unwanted cured Loctite Blue and Green from bolt and nut with methylene chloride.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2013, 09:40:25 pm »

It dismounts easily with a 3.5 mm hex key. I got my for 8 SEK at Woodys Nyköping ( but hey needed ordering it ).

Best regards
Erik

Worth adding to this thread is that Arca has started to glue the clamp so it can no longer be changed. I found this to be very disappointing when I got my D4 today. Why?!  >:( So I'm stuck with the less then excellent original quick release. The head itself is great though.
Erik Kaffehr

torger

« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2013, 01:48:52 am »

It dismounts easily with a 3.5 mm hex key.

I got the tool, but applied so much force that the shaft was bent. Then I scanned the web and found out that recently, like sometime during 2012/2013, Arca-Swiss started to use glue. I ordered my D4 early this month and it was backordered (as usual) and was lucky to get one just a week later or so I guess it was manufactured and assembled this summer, and the new order is to put some sort of glue. I've also heard that they started with some nice easy-to-remove glue, but later changed it to some tougher component.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up