Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Photoshop CS6 public beta  (Read 49828 times)

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: Photoshop CS6 public beta
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2012, 10:48:20 pm »

Tried that but it still won't release the crop markers on the photo with the enter key.

But it does commit the crop and when you change tools you don't get the crop dialog do you?

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2012, 11:29:47 pm »

But it does commit the crop and when you change tools you don't get the crop dialog do you?

It depends.

If , while in classic mode, you do an enter key to crop, the handles still remain. 

IF you go directly to the toolbar and select a new tool there is no dialog box.

HOWEVER if you click anywhere else before selecting a new tool you get a dialog box asking if you want to crop.
Craig Lamson Photo

Craig Lamson

« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2012, 11:31:43 pm »

It works in a slightly different way from before, which may take some adjusting, but I'm so glad PS has adopted LR's way superior way of cropping. Been asking for that ever since LR appeared.
You may find some useful info here which may help you understand why it works differently.

I've seen the video, and ...for me... I prefer the old way.  Clearly your mileage may vary. 
Craig Lamson Photo

MHMG

« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2012, 07:17:37 am »

...Allow us to edit ICC profiles too. Been asking for that for at least a decade. I bet Adobe could get the Kodak Custom Color ICC technology for pennies on the dollar.

Give me a curve dialog to affect saturation so I can desatruate shadows. Or more than four sampler point (ACR has twice that). Let me read out more than just two color models at a time. Improve soft proofing for CMYK. Those are just a few features that I think would make the next Photoshop a compelling upgrade for hard core LR users.

What else?

I'd like the info tool to display the output (proof) color values in LAB, not just RGB or CMYK. Then we would finally be able to know precisely how source color is converting to destination color without having to resort to slow workarounds like a temporary conversion of the rendered output file to LAB colorspace /w absolute rendering.

cheers,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com

RFPhotography

« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2012, 05:35:08 pm »

I haven't looked through all the responses again but don't recall this being brought up previously.

In Lightroom, when you hover over one of the exposure controls, the main area affected on the histogram is shaded.  I know this wasn't the case for ACR in the past but wonder why Adobe hasn't made this change in ACR 7 with the new 2012PV.  It's actually a nice little visual cue.

stamper

« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2012, 03:20:46 am »

I've seen the video, and ...for me... I prefer the old way.  Clearly your mileage may vary. 

A good artisan adapts? :)

Craig Lamson

« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2012, 07:57:17 pm »

A good artisan adapts? :)

I've adapted to a lot of things and I'm not completely adverse to change, but I'm really happy with my current production workflow.  And for my work I don't see the change as an improvement.

I'm not everyone, so my needs and wants may not align with someone else.
Craig Lamson Photo

Schewe

« Reply #67 on: April 03, 2012, 10:12:46 pm »

I've adapted to a lot of things and I'm not completely adverse to change, but I'm really happy with my current production workflow.  And for my work I don't see the change as an improvement.

Uh huh...well the release of CS6 doesn't magically cause your CS5 to quite working...adapt or not, but the new CS6 is different(and there's zero YOU can do to alter that vector). Upgrade, don't upgrade, you choose. If you don't, well, you prolly lose...

Craig Lamson

« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2012, 11:27:41 pm »

Uh huh...well the release of CS6 doesn't magically cause your CS5 to quite working...adapt or not, but the new CS6 is different(and there's zero YOU can do to alter that vector). Upgrade, don't upgrade, you choose. If you don't, well, you prolly lose...

Wow, that's really deep Schewe, I never would have thought of that.  Thanks .  [/sacrasm]
Craig Lamson Photo

Schewe

« Reply #69 on: April 03, 2012, 11:35:40 pm »

Wow, that's really deep Schewe, I never would have thought of that.  Thanks .  [/sacrasm]

You are welcome...just wanted to point out that some peoples' opinions may matter and others' opinions not so much. If you do or don't like the CS6 beta features or functions, you have a choice...upgrade or don't. But nothing the VAST majority of users' complaints will have zero impact. Just a fact of life...some people have influence, some don't. Useful feedback is useful but don't expect wholesale changes...ain't gonna happen.

Craig Lamson

« Reply #70 on: April 04, 2012, 09:14:48 am »

You are welcome...just wanted to point out that some peoples' opinions may matter and others' opinions not so much. If you do or don't like the CS6 beta features or functions, you have a choice...upgrade or don't. But nothing the VAST majority of users' complaints will have zero impact. Just a fact of life...some people have influence, some don't. Useful feedback is useful but don't expect wholesale changes...ain't gonna happen.

Wow, once again such deep thoughts, and again thanks so much.  [/sarcasm]

Craig Lamson Photo

smahn

« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2012, 04:11:53 pm »

Option/alt plus double clicking on the layer thumbnail will let you change the layer name.

For the pen tool just duplicate the layer and change its tonality so that you can see what is happening then delete the duplicate layer.

Cheers,

I appreciate your help, unfortunately "Option/alt plus double clicking on the layer thumbnail" is bringing up the layer styles dialog for me, same as CS 5.

Ditto for the path workaround, same convoluted workaround as for CS 5.

Come on Adobe, just do it.

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #72 on: April 11, 2012, 12:10:25 am »

FWIW have recently experienced a few CS6 program crashes and one PC screen-of-death using the new CS6 crop tool, when cropping a particular 4.5gb file.  Just before the SOD It looked like I had got into some mode where the crop was being copied onto a new window or layer as I was cropping...or something.  Then kabang.  Didn't have time to really see what was going on, but it was interesting.  So be warned.  I presume this will be fixed on the release.

We have parted for now.  But I can still remember the warm embrace of the non-destructive layer mask feathering, way cool.

stamper

« Reply #73 on: April 11, 2012, 04:00:20 am »

FWIW have recently experienced a few CS6 program crashes and one PC screen-of-death using the new CS6 crop tool, when cropping a particular 4.5gb file. 

Is that a typo? 4.5 gb file. No wonder it crashed. :-\

tived

• http://
« Reply #74 on: April 11, 2012, 04:13:21 am »

FWIW have recently experienced a few CS6 program crashes and one PC screen-of-death using the new CS6 crop tool, when cropping a particular 4.5gb file. 

Is that a typo? 4.5 gb file. No wonder it crashed. :-\

why would that be a typo? these are my normal files :-)

depending on the system config, that 4.5GB could be just fine, but something else could have caused the crash! I would be very sad if CS6 would crash with large file sizes, and or files with many many layers on them, that would to me, render CS6 useless, but I doubt this to be the case.

Henrik

stamper

« Reply #75 on: April 11, 2012, 04:27:27 am »

I must live in a sheltered world. Is this the file size when loaded into PS? If it is the size after a few edits then cropping at the beginning of the process ( recommended ) would mean a smaller file size further into processing?

tived

• http://
« Reply #76 on: April 11, 2012, 04:48:09 am »

I must live in a sheltered world. Is this the file size when loaded into PS? If it is the size after a few edits then cropping at the beginning of the process ( recommended ) would mean a smaller file size further into processing?

I would not be able to comment on the first part, you could very well be  ;D (sorry jokes apart) <if you really insist on putting yourself out there for comments!> ;) but for people who work with multi-layered files, or high pixel dimentions.

A 4.5GB isn't that hard to achive, you can do your own math, as to how, i have flat files that are 10-14GB in size, which are from stitched panos, some of these were a struggle when i had less ram. You will get there if you work in 16-bit and more so if its in 32-bit. Obviously as you work on a file and start adding layers upon layers the file size will slowly crawl up, if the file size stays at that size when saving depends how you save your file and if you save with compression etc....
But don't let it shake your world, I do have 96gb of ram in the machine now, so its made to handle the load :-) I am about to give CS6 beta a trial run... i'll report back later

I am sure this is all deviating a bit from the actual topic - one persons issue was that he is experiencing crashes, and it happend to be while working on a 4.5GB file, now if we could get more info on that matter, by perhaps look at the memory dump file. Can the error be replicated?

All the best and sorry for the rant

Henrik

bill t.

« Reply #77 on: April 11, 2012, 02:37:46 pm »

7283 x 14969 pixel stitched pano, 16 bit, 33 fiddly layers.

It crashed on a 8gb machine, as I do not like to test on my larger production machine.

Normally I would have flattened the file, rebooted PS, and reloaded the file before trying anything like cropping or sharpening.  But I didn't, it was late.

I'm not especially worried about this since CS5 can handle that file just fine, even at 8gb.  CS6 does seem to use more ram than CS5, and dragging along things like Mini Bridge etc may or may not be a good thing for some of us.

BTW MiniBridge is pretty glacial in directories full of monster files.

I wonder if the MF guys are getting crashes.

Oh yeah, as long as I'm griping, Adobe you have to restore the little thumbnail preview in the basic File->Open Dialogue!!!!!  It's gone!  And I need it bad!

Chris_Brown

• Smile dammit!
    • Chris Brown Photography
« Reply #78 on: April 11, 2012, 10:17:43 pm »

Oh yeah, as long as I'm griping, Adobe you have to restore the little thumbnail preview in the basic File->Open Dialogue!!!!!  It's gone!

That's what "Mini-Bridge" is for. yippy.
~ CB

bill t.

« Reply #79 on: April 11, 2012, 10:50:53 pm »

That's what "Mini-Bridge" is for. yippy.

I'm thinking I can shoot really exciting time lapse videos of the grass growing while Mini Bridge extracts thumbnails from my folders of big files.

Within a second of invoking CS5 File->Open I can fly through 4 thumbnails per second, regardless of file size, with no pre-crunching required beyond what happened when the file was saved.   Not so in Mini Bridge.

I bet it takes about 2 lines of code to put that old style thumbnail in place.  Please, pretty please.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up