Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: LR3 to LR4 upgrade catogue issues.  (Read 15864 times)

Ch-Jaeger

LR3 to LR4 upgrade catogue issues.
« on: March 06, 2012, 11:19:48 am »

Chris Marquardt from the Tips From The Top Floor podcast is reporting problems
When upgrading your catalogue to LR 4. He says that LR4 will revert all tone curve
Adjustments to a default.

See http://chrismarquardt.com/blog.php?id=1620266956854377999

stamper

Re: LR3 to LR4 upgrade catogue issues.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 11:35:35 am »

The default settings between the two versions changed so that could be the problem or he doesn't quite understand the nuances? Because someone posts a Blog it doesn't automatically make him right?

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 11:46:18 am »

The default settings between the two versions changed so that could be the problem or he doesn't quite understand the nuances? Because someone posts a Blog it doesn't automatically make him right?
Read the page before criticising the blogger.
It says this is happening with process 2010 images NOT converted to 2012.

stamper

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 12:34:16 pm »

Lets get this right He opened his original process 2010 images in LR4. Surely then the new defaults will over ride the older settings? What about presets affecting the older settings? He himself is vague about the problem and it could be something he is doing wrong? More likely a user fault than Adobe's fault. Time will tell if Eric or Jeff replies to this post. Do you have an answer? ???

Rhossydd

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 12:50:19 pm »

Lets get this right He opened his original process 2010 images in LR4. Surely then the new defaults will over ride the older settings?
No, I'd expect the settings to remain the same with the previous process.
Do you have an answer? ???
No, but I don't automatically assume user error. New program iterations have bugs, someone finds them first.
I don't use custom tone curves much, so I can't quickly find if the same is happening on my catalogue.

richarddd

• flickr photostream
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 12:51:48 pm »

Lets get this right He opened his original process 2010 images in LR4. Surely then the new defaults will over ride the older settings?
Why would the new defaults override? If LR4 converts a LR3.6 catalog and I don't change any setting, I'd expect all of the old settings to stay the same.  I'd only expect new defaults if I change to the new 2012 process (or import a new picture).

What about presets affecting the older settings? He himself is vague about the problem and it could be something he is doing wrong? More likely a user fault than Adobe's fault. Time will tell if Eric or Jeff replies to this post. Do you have an answer? ???
Why would presets affect older settings?

The post doesn't seem vague to me.  What's unclear?

Rhossydd

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 01:13:15 pm »

I've now had a good dig and found this problem in my catalogue too.
Custom curves seem to get discarded when upgrading to the LR4 catalogue, although process version remains at 2010.

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 01:18:28 pm »

I've now had a good dig and found this problem in my catalogue too.
Custom curves seem to get discarded when upgrading to the LR4 catalogue, although process version remains at 2010.

That's bad news. Better check that nothing else gets scrambled on the way across.

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

Rhossydd

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 01:35:59 pm »

Another unexpected thing is that the lens correction panel changes to the new format with the catalogue upgrade. With everything enabled by default.
I would have expected this to be part of the 2010 process and not change to the new format.

richarddd

• flickr photostream
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 02:11:13 pm »

More reports of the tone curve problem
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/971408?tstart=0

John R Smith

• Still crazy, after all these years
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 03:16:12 pm »

Of course, nobody could test this in the LR4 Beta because it could not import an LR3 catalogue. All of my images use a custom tone curve, which is part of the presets I use for B/W conversion. So I think I will just wait a while for this one to sort itself out . . .

John
Hasselblad 500 C/M, SWC and CFV-39 DB
an

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 04:10:30 pm »

What struck me in the blog post was this sentence:

"Now here's the same picture in Lightroom 4. The picture looks the same, the histogram doesn't."

If the picture indeed looks the same, as it seems to on screen, then apparently LR4 has preserved the changes he made to the original look of his image using the tone curve control, but has somehow changed the way in which the resulting tone curve is represented in the histogram.
Ken Cameron

crabby

• MICHAEL CRABB
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 07:54:44 pm »

I haven't noticed any loss of Basic adjustments or Curves in my upgrade from LR3 to LR4, haven't had much time to look and compare. What I did find for some odd reason I lost all my Red Color Ratings. Star Ratings seem to be OK and other colors seem to be ok. I use red#6 to mark client selects which is obviously very important to track. Before I upgraded I went into LR3 and selected all my 2012 images (easy to do with my file structure) and then did a command save to update and save all the metadata. I was shooting for a client last week and yesterday and after the upgrade immediately noticed that there were no red selects that were there in LR3. I also use smart collections to track client picks and sure enough all those collections now show 0 images. Go figure. I use Blue #9 to pick possible portfolio material and that smart collection seems to be all there.

FredT

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 11:10:51 pm »

What struck me in the blog post was this sentence:

"Now here's the same picture in Lightroom 4. The picture looks the same, the histogram doesn't."

If the picture indeed looks the same, as it seems to on screen, then apparently LR4 has preserved the changes he made to the original look of his image using the tone curve control, but has somehow changed the way in which the resulting tone curve is represented in the histogram.
They looked the same because LR4 was using the preview from LR3.  Once he went into Develop and the preview updated, the image changed.

Rhossydd

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 04:11:52 am »

What I did find for some odd reason I lost all my Red Color Ratings.
Not seeing that here.

Costas

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2012, 05:13:18 am »

.......  I lost all my Red Color Ratings. Star Ratings seem to be OK and other colors seem to be ok. I use red#6 to mark client selects .....

I have not upgraded to LR4 yet, but under LR3, it identified label ratings from the description assigned to the label rating rather than colour for example. You can see that in the metadata of one of your red labelled images in the "label" setting. So if you change the red label rating description to match what it was in LR3, might be OK.

Library module/ metadata/ colour label sets

Edit - sorry used words that confused the colour rating with the star rating in my original post. Changed it now
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 05:39:23 am by Costas »

stamper

« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2012, 05:31:18 am »

My understanding of LR4 is that the sliders in Develop are different to the sliders in LR3. If you open an image that was developed in process 2010 in LR3 for further processing then there will be a change in the image? If what I am saying is true then it isn't a bug. Adobe should have warned about the possibility of this happening. They did warn buyers to back up their catalogues so if they did so then no harm done?

Costas

« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2012, 05:49:09 am »

I have not upgraded to LR4 yet, but under LR3, it identified label ratings from the description assigned to the label rating rather than colour for example. You can see that in the metadata of one of your red labelled images in the "label" setting. So if you change the red label rating description to match what it was in LR3, might be OK.

Library module/ metadata/ colour label sets

Edit - sorry used words that confused the colour rating with the star rating in my original post. Changed it now

Just tried that with the LR4 Beta and it works the same as LR3, uses the description stored in the metadata of the image to determine colour label, so description needs to match that in the colour label set.

Not upgrading my catalogue to LR4 until I understand the issue with custom tone curves reported here.

Rhossydd

« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2012, 05:51:22 am »

My understanding of LR4 is that the sliders in Develop are different to the sliders in LR3. If you open an image that was developed in process 2010 in LR3 for further processing then there will be a change in the image? If what I am saying is true then it isn't a bug.
You're wrong.
When you open a process 2010 image in LR4 you get the same develop settings as in LR3.n, it's only when you update to process 2012 the options change to the new tool set. So the image rendering remains the same. This is a vital, rational and good way for the upgrade to work. If every image suddenly changed it might destroy years of work if the controls differed with the upgrade.
New images imported go straight to process 2012.

The difficulty here is that whilst most options work as expected, ie you open a process 2010 image you get the same options as LR3.n, but the lens calibration panel changes to the new process and format and custom tone curve is lost. The later may be critical if the user has used custom curves a lot and they aren't recoverable.

stamper

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2012, 06:18:39 am »

You're wrong

Unquote

Nobody here can be certain of anything? So your remark is unjustified. Have you thought about what I stated with regards to the slider defaults in processing being different? Would it not be better to create new catalogues of images you want to import and leave the old ones as is. If needed they can be processed in LR3 or reprocessed in LR4. This isn't as big -imo - a problem as you think. Just think out of the box. :)
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up