Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems with LR4 new videos  (Read 29191 times)

petphi

Re: Problems with LR4 new videos
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2012, 09:24:30 pm »

As a long time reader and paying customer of Luminous-Landscape, I've been understanding and willing to put up with a bit of inconvenience on "Opening Day" for previous videos. The value you provide has always been worth the wait.

However, I would like to add my voice to others - probably your greatest fans - and urge you to consider a better strategy to cope with the peak traffic / self-induced DDOS that occurs with the release of a new series. I believe increased competition in the video tutorial market will limit the number of customers who are willing to continue putting up with the current frustration. Surely there are vendors (Amazon S3) that can provide the short-term help you need to provide a better customer experience?

I'm sure Chris and Michael are frustrated by this as much as anyone, but I hope the following anecdote will give you some perspective: whilst unsuccessfully trying to download your videos (paid for - in good faith - over a week ago), I was able to watch a very large number of the free LR4 episodes hosted by Julieanne Kost on Adobe TV. I watched them on my iPad (connected to 3G, so I wasn't even on the same internet connection), with no difficulty whatsoever. As a long-time Lightroom User, I am after the "what's new" / "tips and tricks" of the new version, and I feel I got that from Julieanne. Her presentations were excellent. I was left with the feeling "why have I paid for stuff that I can't even get, when I got this high-quality information for free?"

Obviously I really value the information I get from your videos with Jeff Schewe and other guests, but any unnecessary barriers to me getting the information - especially when there are viable free alternatives - is not encouraging from a business point-of-view.

Please take my comments in the spirit they are intended, that of long-term fan wanting the best for you and your readers/viewers.

-Peter
Peter Phillips
Australia

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2012, 10:19:51 pm »

As a long time reader and paying customer of Luminous-Landscape, I've been understanding and willing to put up with a bit of inconvenience on "Opening Day" for previous videos. The value you provide has always been worth the wait.

However, I would like to add my voice to others - probably your greatest fans - and urge you to consider a better strategy to cope with the peak traffic / self-induced DDOS that occurs with the release of a new series. I believe increased competition in the video tutorial market will limit the number of customers who are willing to continue putting up with the current frustration. Surely there are vendors (Amazon S3) that can provide the short-term help you need to provide a better customer experience?

I'm sure Chris and Michael are frustrated by this as much as anyone, but I hope the following anecdote will give you some perspective: whilst unsuccessfully trying to download your videos (paid for - in good faith - over a week ago), I was able to watch a very large number of the free LR4 episodes hosted by Julieanne Kost on Adobe TV. I watched them on my iPad (connected to 3G, so I wasn't even on the same internet connection), with no difficulty whatsoever. As a long-time Lightroom User, I am after the "what's new" / "tips and tricks" of the new version, and I feel I got that from Julieanne. Her presentations were excellent. I was left with the feeling "why have I paid for stuff that I can't even get, when I got this high-quality information for free?"

Obviously I really value the information I get from your videos with Jeff Schewe and other guests, but any unnecessary barriers to me getting the information - especially when there are viable free alternatives - is not encouraging from a business point-of-view.

Please take my comments in the spirit they are intended, that of long-term fan wanting the best for you and your readers/viewers.

-Peter

Thanks for a sound & reasoned complaint. We take it quite seriously and obviously are looking into alternatives. The current situation is unacceptable to all.

schrodingerscat

« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2012, 10:52:05 pm »

Maybe dribble them out one at a time, one or two a week. And as most folks probably watch them on something less than a 60" TV, drop them down to the next lowest resolution. Myself, the content is more important than the eye candy(Jeff's shirts notwithstanding).

Speaking of Jeff, it's rare to get such in-depth knowledge straight from the horse's mouth. And at a bargain rate to boot, well worth waiting a bit longer.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2012, 11:01:12 pm »

Speaking of Jeff, it's rare to get such in-depth knowledge straight from the horse's mouth.

So...you calling me a horse?

Just kidding...

Yes, none of us are pleased with the current delivery. Heck, even I can't download the damn videos. So the problem is not related to relative importance (otherwise my log in would go to the head of the line :~)

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2012, 11:44:37 pm »

Yes, none of us are pleased with the current delivery. Heck, even I can't download the damn videos. So the problem is not related to relative importance (otherwise my log in would go to the head of the line :~)
Jeff,

It's taking Chris a good bit of extra time to colorize all your black shirts on your special customized set of videos.   ;D
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

stormyboy

« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2012, 01:07:33 am »

Since we're talking personal things in the videos like shirts, I'll add that Jeff has an especially good trim job on his beard.  It's very flattering.

The videos are terrific so far.  Thanks, and I'm looking forward to the rest.

Tom

Box Brownie

• Engram Photography
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2012, 03:15:15 am »

Just by way of a little feedback from this side of the pond  ;)

Last night I tried again to get #3 zip and it took hours as it was like sipping through a very narrow straw the dl speed was about 19kbps but it did complete overnight.  FWIW and I do appreciate the scaling that Adobe have is lilely way different I dl'ed LR4 final version trial (787MB file) and it came through at something like 300kbps !!!!!

Currently, 08:14 hours, trying to get #4 zip and that is coming at the sedate 49.1kbps.
A collection of mine here http://500px.c

paulturton

« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2012, 08:46:04 am »

Currently, 08:14 hours, trying to get #4 zip and that is coming at the sedate 49.1kbps.

Speed demon;-)
  I gave up yesterday after various attempts at #1 zip where I could only get 27 kbps.

docdave37

« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2012, 10:55:02 am »

Let me add my voice. I've been trying for the past three days to download and I can't get past 45kb speed. This is very frustrating. I was looking forward to learning all about Lightroom 4 before repopulating the new program with my old catalog.

I disagree that quality should be sacrificed. We bought this program with the expectation of good quality. I don't want to see that diminished.

Good luck with finding an answer. Please do it quickly or simply offer refunds.

Best!

Dave

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2012, 11:10:29 am »

Good luck with finding an answer. Please do it quickly or simply offer refunds.

To those who wish, refunds are always available - just ask.

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2012, 01:05:45 pm »

I don't mind waiting for awhile, the software is not going anywhere. I appreciate the time Chris, Michael, and Jeff have put into it and for making a quality product. I also understand how much bandwidth costs and server capacity and for the 99% when it isn't needed makes it unpractical to change everything for the 1%. I just find it entertaining and sad how impatient a few are being, I guess it is a sign of the times and the demand for instant gratification. If it takes a week to get the videos does not mean you cannot try the new version of Lightroom and learn something or just experiment and it too shall be there next week, ready to be used. Not having the videos is not stopping you from processing images the way you used to or just take some images and wait a bit. Just my $0.02 worth.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

AlexG

« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2012, 02:32:29 pm »

Come on guys...be patient! I go back to VJ-1 and Lula is the best out there in my opinion by a good margin. If you cannot wait, then get your refund as Chris has offered and please move elswere...you don't belong here! Where are you going to get this much personalized quality training videos from the very best and for this price? Hey, I'll wait whatever it takes! Keep up the good work Michael, Jeff and Chris.

Alex

s4e

« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2012, 04:22:20 pm »

Yes we will wait but I guess many of us think this problem is solvable. And all this traffic will suggest that Lu-La are able to pay a little more for a better solution.

Personally I can live with a long downloading time (while I do something else) but not with corrupted files forcing you to try many times... :(

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2012, 04:35:57 pm »

Oh the problem is solvable but it will increase their operating costs, which would then cause a large increase in price of the videos, so would you pay twice as much to get instant gratification? Or would you then complain it was too expensive and go elsewhere. Everything has trade offs. I would rather wait a week or two and get the great deal along with great information.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

W.T. Jones

• W.T. Jones LLC
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2012, 05:04:39 pm »

I have to agree with Alan and wait a week or two for the information. I would hazard a guess that none of us really need to have this information right this minute. But we sure would like it, I mean... after all where do you get irreverent humor, vivid colors and usable information that does not put you to sleep at such a low price? The Lula vids are top shelf & well done.

I am in no hurry myself, I have not even downloaded the new software yet. However I do want at some point to get Jeff's take on the new features especially the PV2012.

Cheers,

Warren
Warren

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2012, 05:12:45 pm »

I will be talking to Akamai who specialize in this sort of scalable distribution of content. I expect it will be expensive.

Actually our whole e-commerce, content scaling (direct to iPad or iPhone) and the actual serving need serious overhaul.  :-\
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 05:17:18 pm by Chris Sanderson »

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2012, 05:22:47 pm »

After a frustrating day finally I am able to get a fast download going.

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2012, 07:41:52 pm »

I have to agree with Alan, Alex, and Warren. LL videos are great and well worth the wait.

I too wish all the impatient complainers would ask for refunds so the rest of us could start downloading the videos. Given the continuing whining, I expect to wait until at least next Wednesday before trying to download  the first video. If it downloads slowly, I'll cancel the download and wait another couple of days before trying again. In the past this technique has always given me very fast downloads with zero failures.

Meanwhile, I can play with LR4 itself and try to absorb the good tips that Jeff has been posting in the forum.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

John McDermott

« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2012, 02:40:02 am »

I have finally succeeded in downloading all 13 zips, albeit at around 50mbs. Just took some patience over three days and staying up a little late. I'm located in southeastern North Carolina in the USA.
John E. McDermott

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2012, 03:00:22 am »

John, congrats...I've finally downloaded all the beginning movies as well.

Good job Chris...sorry that some of you guys had issues.

Would fix it if I could (but it's above my pay grade).
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up