Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 77   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 7900 from the inside - out  (Read 1092885 times)

Eric Gulbransen

• never surrender
    • MYX900.com
Re: Epson 7900 from the inside - out
« Reply #140 on: February 02, 2012, 11:11:40 am »

Eric, thanks for your time and effort....

The reason for my post is that I believe you will need that program after you reinstall the head. In the 7800 service manual (and I see no reason why the 7900 would be different) at the beginning of the Adjustment section there is a table which specifies the various adjustments required after particular parts are replaced. According to this, a Head Slant Adjustment is required even if the original head is reinstalled. You need the Adjustment/Service Program to do that adjustment. The adjustment itself is described further on in the Service Manual.

A Google search will turn up at least one site where these Adjustment/Service Programs are for sale. No free sources that I could find. Perhaps one of your parts sources can provide it, I don't know. But I think you will need it.

I hope that your machine will soon be turning out some stunning prints.

Regards

Frank

Right there with you Frank.  Downloaded it last night.  Another hurdle down, followed by another hurdle up - it's windows only and I'm on a mac...

Good thing I love challenges

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #141 on: February 02, 2012, 11:22:04 am »

Right there with you Frank.  Downloaded it last night.  Another hurdle down, followed by another hurdle up - it's windows only and I'm on a mac...

Good thing I love challenges

Perhaps you can borrow a Windows laptop from a friend and install it all there temporarily. Another more permanent solution in case you would need recurrent use of PC-only applications is to install Parallels 7 on your Mac, and run Windows 7 as a virtual machine under Parallels. My experience with it is that it works very well; integration is seamless - at least on the current vintage of Intel Macs. Of course you then need to put-up with the endless stream of patches and fixes from Windows, but the basic objective gets achieved.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Eric Gulbransen

• never surrender
    • MYX900.com
« Reply #142 on: February 02, 2012, 11:36:43 am »

Exactly Mark.  Thanks for the tip - the next hurdle.  I have been so happy since leaving windows eight years ago.  And my wife, good lord.  Some collect Persian rugs, others exotic cars.  Apparently I collected Nikon lenses until they were all stolen.  My wife?  She collected viruses.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #143 on: February 02, 2012, 11:37:57 am »

As long as they were only computer viruses.........:-)

Eric Gulbransen

• never surrender
    • MYX900.com
« Reply #144 on: February 02, 2012, 11:42:20 am »

Oh hell no you did NOT just say that...

I'm on the floor now.  Thanks a lot!

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #145 on: February 02, 2012, 11:45:26 am »

Laughing I hope.

Eric Gulbransen

• never surrender
    • MYX900.com
« Reply #146 on: February 02, 2012, 02:19:28 pm »

This morning I called Epson technical support.  Told them I bought a wiper cleaner assembly from one of their three US Epson parts distributors, and installed it myself.  Guy wasn't familiar with the part.  I told him what it was, how easy and vital it was to replace regularly.  He agreed.  Then I asked him the million dollar question:

Eric; "How do you reset the counter for the wiper cleaner assembly once you've installed it?"

Epson; "Oh I don't think you can do that.  ....Yeah, you used to be able to do that on older models but not these new machines.  Now a service tech has to do it for you.  They use a special computer program on their laptop and reset it for you."

Eric; "I'm pretty confident users used to be able to do this, actually on these particular 79/9900s.  But then I think Epson blocked that option with a firmwear update last year."

Epson; "Yeah, that might be true.  ...Could be.  ....So no, you can't reset the counter on the wiper cleaner assembly."

Eric; "I'm not complaining to you right now, I just want to be clear and fully understand you.  We both agree a fresh wiper is vital to the successful use of these 79/9900 printers.  We both agree that nozzle clogs on these machines is a particularly common problem.  We both agree that while users think they are doing good, by performing multiple cleanings to clear clogs, that in the case of a compromised wiper they are likely making their problems worse.  We both agree being that this one part is not included with a pump and cap assembly, which includes every one of the rest of it's parts, it is most likely that Epson expects the wiper cleaner assembly to be replaced far more often than the entire pump and cap assembly  And finally we both understand that the 79/9900's wiper cleaner assembly is a $13 part which is painfully simple to replace - a simple snap in and out with your finger tips."

Epson; "Yeah, I do agree"

Eric; "So what you are actually telling me is that to replace this vital $13 snap-in part on on my 7900, it'll cost me $300 in a service call because I can't reset the counter?

Epson; "Yeah, that does seem crazy doesn't it.  I don't understand it.  But that's how it is.  You can't reset the counter yourself."

Eric; "I am a member of a huge community of 79/9900 users, many of whom would like to be able to successfully run and maintain their printers - without having to pay some $300 repair bill to replace a $13 part that takes a tech less than four minutes to replace.  So at this point I would like to ask you, because I do believe Epson is a company that wants their users to be successful and happy, who do I call?  Who do I email?  What form do I fill out and where do I send it - so that Epson can hear feedback and possibly make an adjustment?"

Epson; "That's a very good question.  We have nothing in place for that though.  There is no one to call or write to.  All I can offer you is that I put this request in my log, and submit it.  We do log our tech calls - the problems and the requests.  If enough requests come through for something like your user-performed wiper cleaner replacement, they do consider it."

Eric; "OK so here is my request - I want users be able to change their wiper cleaner assemblies and reset their counters, all on their own - with no service calls and therefore no unnecessary expense."

Epson; "OK I will submit that"

gwhitf

« Reply #147 on: February 02, 2012, 02:27:30 pm »

Is there a JPG on the web anywhere that clearly shows where the Capping Station and the Wiper Blade are located, inside the 7900? Thanks.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #148 on: February 02, 2012, 02:37:29 pm »

Eric, that conversation with Tech Support is a very good one, and the point you made about not paying 300 dollars to exchange a 13 dollar consumable part I think hits the nail on the head as far as that aspect is concerned. Very well put. I have no doubt that between this thread and the feedback from tech support, Epson will definitely pay attention to these issues. What they decide to do about it of course is a different matter and remains to be seen. I would wonder whether they could develop a firmware up-grade that allows users to reset the counters (from one's own computer or the printer control panel) for those parts users could replace without running much risk to other parts of the printer.

designpartners

• Design Partners
« Reply #149 on: February 02, 2012, 02:40:56 pm »

Epson; "That's a very good question.  We have nothing in place for that though.  There is no one to call or write to.  All I can offer you is that I put this request in my log, and submit it.  We do log our tech calls - the problems and the requests.  If enough requests come through for something like your user-performed wiper cleaner replacement, they do consider it."

Eric; "OK so here is my request - I want users be able to change their wiper cleaner assemblies and reset their counters, all on their own - with no service calls and therefore no unnecessary expense."

Epson; "OK I will submit that"[/i]

Ok.. so I suggest that we all go and contact Epson support and specifically ask them to log this call and see where it goes - it would also be worth us all sending a PM to "Dano" - or better still if anyone has his email address to send it to him directly also..  it can be done over email and it's very quick - and they are quick to respond, or simply call them..

I'll send mine tomorrow from work.

James

Jeff Magidson

• Artslides Digital Imaging
« Reply #150 on: February 02, 2012, 02:48:32 pm »

Actually the Epson Stylus Pro 7900 does not have a clogging problem! I just read the following on the Epson Pro Imaging website, describing the 7900 & 9900 features and technology:

"Our advanced Epson MicroPiezo TFP print head is capable of producing higher quality prints, at speeds almost twice as fast as our previous generation. And, with our latest ink-repelling coating and auto nozzle verification technologies, clogged nozzles are virtually eliminated."

I know there is often a chasm between marketing speak and reality... but please! This is a bit insulting.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 02:50:49 pm by Jeff Magidson »
~ Jeff Magidson
Custom Archival Printing
http://artslidesboston.com

jeverton

« Reply #151 on: February 02, 2012, 02:57:36 pm »

Eric; "I am a member of a huge community of 79/9900 users, many of whom would like to be able to successfully run and maintain their printers - without having to pay some $300 repair bill to replace a $13 part that takes a tech less than four minutes to replace.  So at this point I would like to ask you, because I do believe Epson is a company that wants their users to be successful and happy, who do I call?  Who do I email?  What form do I fill out and where do I send it - so that Epson can hear feedback and possibly make an adjustment?"

I would also suggest we all send an email to Rand Rozar the Director of Service and Support via the following web site form:

https://epson.custhelp.com/app/ask/p_webform/ContactRand

In addition, the feedback should be given to our suppliers, sales representative so they can communicate this request to the local Epson representative.  In my case, this is DTG out of Florida.

Jeff

Eric Gulbransen

• never surrender
    • MYX900.com
« Reply #152 on: February 02, 2012, 03:07:54 pm »

Is there a JPG on the web anywhere that clearly shows where the Capping Station and the Wiper Blade are located, inside the 7900? Thanks.

Eric Gulbransen

• never surrender
    • MYX900.com
« Reply #153 on: February 02, 2012, 03:18:10 pm »

Actually the Epson Stylus Pro 7900 does not have a clogging problem! I just read the following on the Epson Pro Imaging website, describing the 7900 & 9900 features and technology...

Thanks Jeff.  I'm on the floor again.  Twice in one day...

...I need to vacuum this place

Jstar

« Reply #154 on: February 02, 2012, 03:22:35 pm »

Servprog.exe for Epson 7900 was written for the XP operating system.  So almost any old Pc with a Usb port will work.

I really appreciate the tip about using service mode to get the wiper in the correct position without having to take the machine apart.   I have already cleaned it once using your tip and plan on cleaning it once every 3 months.   After taking it out of the machine, I used a foam swab dampened with warm water to clean it.  Then I put the wiper assembly back in the machine.  It took about 5 minutes total.

I bought 50 foam swabs from the following source - Swab-its 74-4501-50  for $16 dollars.

http://yhst-66879715068660.stores.yahoo.net/prso.html

You need to use a lint free swab.

chaddro

« Reply #155 on: February 02, 2012, 05:37:48 pm »

NOTE: On my 9890 I can reset the counter for the Wiper from within the service menu!

Bought my machine last August. The 9890 is the basically the same as the 9900 less orange/green... I even think the tubes are there for the inks if I counted correctly. I would be very surprised if the 7980 was differently.

I have not seen a service manual or field repair guide in the wild for either the 9890 or 7980 so just be aware if you own one of these that the 9900's manual may not be the same. It's quite possible that there have been minor improvements in the firmware that distinguish the two.

Jstar

« Reply #156 on: February 02, 2012, 07:19:05 pm »

It looks like you should be able to Reset the Wiper Counter(Epson 7900/9900)  through the Service Mode Menu system.

Turn the printer ON in the Serviceman Mode.
Turn the power ON while pressing [Menu ], [PaperFeed ], and [OK] button.

Select SELF TESTING →Maintenance →Wiper Exchange →Counter Clear

Pedron

« Reply #157 on: February 02, 2012, 09:39:43 pm »

Hello,
On my 9900 bought 3 years ago and whose firmware is updated, I just clean the wiper (following the instructions of Eric) and I noticed the ability to reset the wiper counter such that you described. Note that I do not know if it could work, but the function was there.
For those interested, I just used a damp paper towel (gently). There was a little ink and dust stuck, but less than what I expected to find. I've always managed to clean my printer before this one (HP650C and Epson 9000 (which I always work very well).
For my part, I have not had any big problem with my 9900, except for a month, cyan is more and more clogged. It does not appear on prints so far, but now with 90% of clogged nozzles, it is another matter. I think it's the cartridge that is defective, even if it is almost new. I should receive a new tomorrow (Friday) and look forward to see if the problem is resolved.
I watch almost the whole saga because I know that one day I will have trouble and I will not have the means to pay a technician. Epson service is really bad and moreover, there is no service in French and I do not speak English (long live Google translation).
Eric thank you so much tell us your experience. It's really reassuring to know that you can get help on this forum. If I can help someone, it would be my pleasure.

Pierre

Eric Gulbransen

• never surrender
    • MYX900.com
« Reply #158 on: February 03, 2012, 01:51:51 am »

...It's really reassuring to know that you can get help on this forum. If I can help someone, it would be my pleasure.

Pierre

Pierre I promise you, this is only the beginning.  More and more information, help, and understanding will be the result of all this.  One goal is to fix the printer just down the stairs.  Another goal is to go far beyond that.  Stay tuned, and good luck with your 9900.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #159 on: February 03, 2012, 04:10:51 am »

I have added some pictures of the HP Z3100 wipers, 5 year old machine, on page 1 where the 7900 wiper is also visible.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst
Try: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Wide_Inkjet_Printers/
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 04:57:28 am by Ernst Dinkla »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 77   Go Up