Long story short, I was getting very frustrated with my current canvas. Not sure if I had an old batch (don't know if this can happen), or a bad one, but it was cracking like crazy (even after 8 coats of Timeless Matte. The glossy Timeless works much better but of course all the stores seem to sell only matte finishes on their gallery wraps). First I thought I was stretching too tight, then I thought the edges on my stretcher bars weren't curved enough, then I thought maybe spraying isn't as durable since I was rolling before and that seems to attach better to the canvas, but I was all set to go and pick up some Breathing Color Lyve to try. When I got to the store, which specializes in Epson products even though they do carry some Breathing Color stuff, the guy showed me some of this newish Epson Exhibition Canvas. I was quite impressed with how it looked given that it wasn't coated. The resistance to cracking when folded over was amazing. So I promptly picked up a roll.
After printing, I was quite delighted to see that my current profile matches 95% so I can just carry on printing for a bit until I have time to get another customer profile made. After only 3 coats of Timeless matte on a sample, I was amazed that there was no cracking at all. Best of all, the canvas also has some elasticity built in so when I did stretch it over bars, I didn't have to put in so much tension to get all the wrinkles to come out.
Anyway, so I'm quite amazed that all my problems were solved with just changing the canvas. Its also cheaper than the Breathing Color Lyve I was looking to buy. I spent hours pouring over so many threads on here and so I just wanted to report back to the forum to help others. The guy at the store said ever since this new Epson canvas came in, their sales of the BC canvas have dropped significantly. Surprisingly, he also said most people don't coat their canvases. The satin finish canvas that I could also touch seemed even more durable (although I though a little too rigid), so perhaps there are people not coating and not having problems, but since I wanted the matte finish and don't mind spraying a few coats, I'm quite happy with getting the cheaper matte canvas and just spraying. Will also try now to see if just 2 heavy coats will be good enough. Now how the heck do I increase my sales since I'm ready to go into mass production with little effort now?
