Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: What websites compete with Luminous Landscape?  (Read 11262 times)

hdomke

• www.henrydomke.com
What websites compete with Luminous Landscape?
« on: December 07, 2011, 08:35:59 am »

Luminous Landscape is a great resource. What else is out there for advanced nature photographers?
Please list one or two of your favorite websites.
Henry

Henry Domke Fine Art

Rob C

Re: What websites compete with Luminous Landscape?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 08:42:27 am »

Be real.

Rob C

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 09:21:09 am »

Perhaps the Landscape and Nature Forum would be a better location for this question.

Jim

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 11:39:51 am »

+1

Henry, I frequent two forums - this one and Fred Miranda for presentation and critiques of photographs.  I consider Luminous Landscape to be my "must read" forum. I don't think the two forums compete at all - to me they are very different and if I had to give up one it would be Fred Miranda's.

Sharon

Erik Kaffehr

quismond

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 07:52:14 pm »

This one might be interesting for you (only about Landscape and Nature photography):

http://www.naturescapes.net/phpBB3/index.php

But I wouldn't say that "it competes" with LuLa... ;-)

Q.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 07:54:44 pm by quismond »

Zenny

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 01:43:49 am »

I usually visit 3 times a week to:

1) http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum
2) http://www.apug.org/forums/forum13/
3) http://photo.net/photo-critique-forum/
4) http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php (large and mf section in particular)
5) And of course, I could not miss this forum (mid-format category) :-)

*z

-----

***Support http://www.thehumanape.org ***
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 02:34:40 am by Zenny »

stamper

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 04:33:27 am »

The Nikonians is an interesting site for Nikon users but goes out of it's way to stifle any interesting debate. Alternative views seem to come under the scrutiny of the moderators pretty quickly. A lot of the members here wouldn't last long. BTW it is a fee paying site.

David Hufford

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 04:49:57 am »

The Nikonians is an interesting site for Nikon users but goes out of it's way to stifle any interesting debate. Alternative views seem to come under the scrutiny of the moderators pretty quickly. A lot of the members here wouldn't last long. BTW it is a fee paying site.

Wow, that's still around? I used to be a paying member even before it was required. I stopped 'cause I couldn't figure out why I was paying for an Internet forum. I would have never considered it a competitor to LuLu even when it still had a lot of members and discussion. Some of their site, such as the podcasts, is still free the last I checked if anyone really has to know about the latest Nikon product. Personally, I get much more value out of the videos I buy here, as well as the articles I read,  than I ever got out of Nikonians. Perhaps they have more to offer since they went to all paid membership.
*Never fall in love with anything that c

afx

• AFXImages
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 05:00:49 am »

Nikongear.com has quite some good stuff in the public nature and places sections, look for Carolyns BW landscapes or Fred Nirques rain forest panos.

For subscribers ($) the PJ/Street section has quite a few interesting contributors. 
Bjørn Rørslett of naturfotograf.com is moving his site with all the Nikon tech reviews to nikongear.com in the subscriber section.

cheers
afx
(Disclosure: I am a moderator at Nikongear.com)

jeremyrh

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 04:32:49 am »

+1

I stoppped visiting when they got it into their heads that someone would pay to read an internet forum. Before that I had quite a few run-ins with the moderators after I voiced some fairly innocuous opinions, so I was not too sorry to cut them loose.

stamper

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 05:14:19 am »

+1

I stoppped visiting when they got it into their heads that someone would pay to read an internet forum. Before that I had quite a few run-ins with the moderators after I voiced some fairly innocuous opinions, so I was not too sorry to cut them loose.

I am not against paying. But having to think twice about posting a reasonable opinion which would be deemed as no problem in another forum is frustrating. The Moderators seem to nit pick and just when a thread does get interesting then it is closed. If they allowed the same latitude as is here then IMO the would prosper because the are "professional" site with regards to their operation.

stamper

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2011, 05:18:22 am »

Nikongear.com has quite some good stuff in the public nature and places sections, look for Carolyns BW landscapes or Fred Nirques rain forest panos.

For subscribers ($) the PJ/Street section has quite a few interesting contributors. 
Bjørn Rørslett of naturfotograf.com is moving his site with all the Nikon tech reviews to nikongear.com in the subscriber section.

cheers
afx

Just had a look and I see you have to subscribe just to look at the forum. Therefore you can't see the value of the forum without paying.
A lot of paying sites will you a preview without paying such as 30 days. A definite barrier.

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2011, 07:38:59 am »

The sites that compete for my attention other than LuLa:
1. The Online Photographer
2. Nikongear
3. Leica Users Forum
4. Diglloyd
5. Thom Hogan
Like many others here I dropped Nikonians several years ago as it simply didn't offer much (IMO). And yes, two of my favorite sites are pay sites - I don't have a problem with that as long as the content justifies the expense.

Rob C

« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2011, 01:39:37 pm »

afx

That's a strange mindset, there! I used to enjoy his site many years ago, and still have it in the Favourites list; however, he abandoned doing anything new with it some time ago, leaving only a picture of his skin and a bug to greet me, and the old reviews/reports. What a shame.

So far, the only site to which I'd pay a membership subscription is this one, LuLa. Why? Because over the years, I've become rather fond of some of the characters I've conversed with in this little cyberworld... which seems an appropriate time at which to wish you all a happy and prosperous 2012! Which I do.

Rob C

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2011, 02:23:42 pm »

So far, the only site to which I'd pay a membership subscription is this one, LuLa. Why? Because over the years, I've become rather fond of some of the characters I've conversed with in this little cyberworld... which seems an appropriate time at which to wish you all a happy and prosperous 2012! Which I do.
I feel exactly the same. Happy New Year.

Jeremy

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2011, 05:05:05 pm »

I feel exactly the same. Happy New Year.

Jeremy
And I'll have to try to tease Russ just a little again by saying "+1" to both Rob and Jeremy, and wishing you all a great 2012.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

viewfinder

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2012, 06:14:03 am »

I have looked at this site for 10 years or so and learned much.  However, of late this site has begun to irritate me and the general 'waft of wealth' becomes increasingly tiresome.    The latest debacle, namely the 'everthing matters' fiasco has finally brought matters to a clinch for me and I now realise that this site is not for the likes of me ...a APS-C user trying to get the best out of my modest equipement.  This site is for wealthy retirees posing as pro photgraphers and pushing digital backs that cost more than a decent car as a minimum level of their photgraphic worth.....the rest of us presumably should simply 'chuck it' and take up flower arranging......

.........so, I will be spending more time at this site; http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/

Although Sean Mchugh started the site while a student at Cambridge University the excellent quality of his photo work and his clear thinking and advice has seen the stature of 'Cin C' elevate up to (and in my opinion ) beyond that of 'LL'.    Although it does not have the 'waft of wealth' Cambridge in Colour' is very much a British flavour and a more cultured tone which I have come to much prefer.

Tony Jay

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2012, 06:47:48 am »

Have to say that I can't agree with this post.

Any photographer should be able to get a lot out of LuLa no matter what equipment one uses.
Accusations of snobbery should probably only be levelled at those one knows personally.
Moreover reading the posts leaves no-one in any doubt as to the diversity of opinions available on this forum.

Regards

Tony Jay

viewfinder

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2012, 07:16:55 am »

Yes, you are quite right;..Any photographer should be able to get a lot out of LuLa no matter what equipment one uses....  Perhaps the site owners should address themselves thus....

The 'everything matters' has struck a chord with teh general viewers of this site,...it's not that there are breathtaking images here either.    Take a look at Cambridge in Colour and make your own comparisons.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2012, 09:11:28 am »

2 sites that I visit almost as often as this one are: bythom (/sansmirror) and dpreview.
Bythom has good content but is not updated that often, dpreview has more technical stuff (I did participate recently in one of their challenges though  ;) ) but the forum can be a good source of information if you can filter through the numerous posts.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up