Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: What websites compete with Luminous Landscape?  (Read 11261 times)

Rob C

Re: What websites compete with Luminous Landscape?
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2012, 02:16:10 pm »

I've checked out several, but at the end of the day I always come back to the conclusion that most everything else I've found is slumming. There, it's been said: put that into your little "waft of wealth" shoebox and feel happy. Happy, but mistaken. Retired, yes; rich as you'd love to hate, no; ex-professional, yes.

Note that I do not claim to be the world's top surfer, neither on water nor in cyberspace. The other sites that I do visit these days do not indulge in chat; they supply information, or are simply other photographers' sites. In how many places do you need to hold a computer conversation, and how many people do you feel obliged to 'know' or with whom to do it?

Rob C

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2012, 09:49:18 am »

I have looked at this site for 10 years or so and learned much.  However, of late this site has begun to irritate me and the general 'waft of wealth' becomes increasingly tiresome.    The latest debacle, namely the 'everthing matters' fiasco has finally brought matters to a clinch for me and I now realise that this site is not for the likes of me ...a APS-C user trying to get the best out of my modest equipement.  This site is for wealthy retirees posing as pro photgraphers and pushing digital backs that cost more than a decent car as a minimum level of their photgraphic worth.....the rest of us presumably should simply 'chuck it' and take up flower arranging......

.........so, I will be spending more time at this site; http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/

Although Sean Mchugh started the site while a student at Cambridge University the excellent quality of his photo work and his clear thinking and advice has seen the stature of 'Cin C' elevate up to (and in my opinion ) beyond that of 'LL'.    Although it does not have the 'waft of wealth' Cambridge in Colour' is very much a British flavour and a more cultured tone which I have come to much prefer.

I agree that cambrigeincolour is superior.  It is the first place I send new photographers to learn the basics...and then I send them back to learn the advanced theories of digital photography.  I return frequently to refresh my memory about the details of sensors, lenses, and optical concepts.

Unfortunately, I must agree about trend towards wealth and exclusivity at LL.  This factor has taken me from a daily visitor several years ago to a weekly visitor.  I tend to not read many of the contributed articles because they aren't as well-thought-out and artistically mature as the ones that Michael was writing a few years ago. 

I always thought earthbound light was a good site that provided good, applied hands-on tutorials.

While not traditionally associated with landscape photography, the strobist is another really good, hands-on and applied site. 
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

Rob C

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2012, 10:06:58 am »

Unfortunately, I must agree about trend towards wealth and exclusivity at LL.  This factor has taken me from a daily visitor several years ago to a weekly visitor. 

I really wonder if there are two LuLas; I have never felt any of the above, and not being particularly well-off, I suspect my impoverished antennae would be prickling briskly were I feeling snubbed or talked down to in any way...

This may be a reference to those who own DMF; if it is, then how sad is that? Or is it the M9 ownership that rankles? If either is the case, or if a feeling of being less than rich is how one's senses perceive being here, then it's time to grow up: every millionaire has a neighbour with more. It strikes me as an extension of the dreaded left-wing malaise that's so common in Britain but that, in general, I seldom meet anywhere else. Of course, it could be the wider sense of anti-Americanism that infuses much of Europe (short effing memories, here; suspicious new political bed arrangements, too) and that becomes something that's confused even further with the Hollywood products that we all see everyday on our tv sets... who knows, who cares - I just hate envy, probably the ugliest of emotions.

Short of getting hoofed out, I will remain here as long as those whose chat and pictures I enjoy remain too, rich or poor.

Rob C
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up