Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Please help by sharing your outlook on new venture  (Read 6193 times)

Sunny Alan

Please help by sharing your outlook on new venture
« on: October 15, 2011, 03:22:54 am »

I am in large format printing business with automatic flatbed screen press and digital solvent printing; both for graphics.
I propose to add Epson based art /photo enlargement printing to the existing business, which will complement each other: the Epson will print CMYK separated large size film positives to the screen press, while the press will print great quality spot-color art on various substrates including canvas.

And with a 5D Mk2 I propose to capture small to medium sized paintings to Epson-reproduce,  framed/ canvas to be marketed in licensed ‘unlimited’ edition basis, to reach common man as affordable art. 

Also to canvas-print shots of extincting traditional temple art forms like ‘Kathakali’ ‘Koodiyattam’ etc.

Also to introduce vivid scenes of India’s diverse cultural, ancient art, temple architecture, God-goddesses, natural beauty....etc.
India is amazingly vivid, but it’s art forms are yet to be reached to world in an affordable way, I think. Many tourists lament the lack of affordable, finely printed souvenirs of Indian scenes to take home.
Affordable price: I worked out to find that I can offer Epson canvas prints @ $ 5 per sq. Feet.
Now please share your thoughts on such a venture...

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
Re: Please help by sharing your outlook on new venture
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 03:48:34 pm »

I like that you've established a potential market in the affordable Indian art area and that you seem to have most of the costly equipment you need. I imagine you have good color management knowledge. I have used an outside source for solvent-based inks who didn't have a good system of profiles for Epson canvas and it wasn't a good experience.

I would question your $5/s.f. pricing. In my use of an Epson 9800 with Epson canvas I came up with a cost of $4 s.f. that included both canvas and ink but not including sealing costs, my time, or equipment amortization costs. So I wouldn't ever price that at less than $8 - $10 s.f. retail unless I made use of every bit of canvas on a 44" roll.

I assume you will also get appropriate artist releases to cover your reselling their work along with a detailed fee schedule for using their images.

I'm sure lots of other folks here will have other advice also.

I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor.

fotometria gr

• www.fotometria.gr
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 08:08:46 pm »

I am in large format printing business with automatic flatbed screen press and digital solvent printing; both for graphics.
I propose to add Epson based art /photo enlargement printing to the existing business, which will complement each other: the Epson will print CMYK separated large size film positives to the screen press, while the press will print great quality spot-color art on various substrates including canvas.

And with a 5D Mk2 I propose to capture small to medium sized paintings to Epson-reproduce,  framed/ canvas to be marketed in licensed ‘unlimited’ edition basis, to reach common man as affordable art. 

Also to canvas-print shots of extincting traditional temple art forms like ‘Kathakali’ ‘Koodiyattam’ etc.

Also to introduce vivid scenes of India’s diverse cultural, ancient art, temple architecture, God-goddesses, natural beauty....etc.
India is amazingly vivid, but it’s art forms are yet to be reached to world in an affordable way, I think. Many tourists lament the lack of affordable, finely printed souvenirs of Indian scenes to take home.
Affordable price: I worked out to find that I can offer Epson canvas prints @ $ 5 per sq. Feet.
Now please share your thoughts on such a venture...

I charge 80 euros per square meter to print on 390gr of a well-known HQ western firm (please let me keep the secret). Although the material is only slightly more expensive than Epson, its better and keeps an absolute profile of more than 98% right from the first print on my Epson 9900. I think that the charge you aim for is rather low...., I will also question the use of a DSLR to reproduce art work even if it is small, I suggest a MFDB for that and if possible a multishot one (sinar or Imacon/Hasselblad), I personally use an Imacon 528c on Contax 645 or Sinar P2, I don't think a DSLR will be able to cope with the required color balance and color depth for artwork..., neither the lenses will. If you have a very good and well calibrated monitor you may be able to get an acceptable (only just) result after you will have spent a lot of material and ink..., not to mention working time. Regards, Theodoros. www.fotometria.gr

Sunny Alan

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 01:34:52 am »

Thank you louoates and fotometria gr for the insights...

The price: $5 is the lowest possible in certain spl. terms like contracted regular large volumes, buyer’s image- ‘printing only’ service etc. As you know India has cost advantages.
DSLR for image capture: I know fotometria gr what you meant. Mine is a start-up in ‘this’ line as a diversification to existing business. I need to study the line till I receive high end jobs. And I need a ‘handy’ camera system anyway. Later on can invest more on MFDB.

@I will also question the use of a DSLR to reproduce art work even if it is small, I suggest a MFDB for that and if possible a multishot one (sinar or Imacon/Hasselblad)...
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I am sure you will face stiff opposition from many photography experts, if you post the above statement at Photo-forums... I become challenged for my proposal to buy a DB. They say DBs are of bygone ‘film only’ era.
TODAY, capability of DSLRs are leapfrogged to unimaginable folds, in capture, sharpness, color, low light imaging, high resolution, full frame censors, vast MPs....etc. in combination with ‘software-force’ like Photoshop, Fractals...etc.  Hence DSLRs fare much better in totality and in cumulative results. And DBs pushed to specific, niche areas where extra high resolution and astonishing high volume data has to be processed, which is mostly limited to industrial and premium buyers/ sectors, they say.

Using a 50mm/2.5 macro on a 5D full frame, with benchmarked studio lighting, decent sizes anything upto 3x2 ft or even 4x3 ft possible without vignette or other problems, they encourage.
What do you think?
Please note, personally I am not at all ridiculing DBs, but highly respectful of their sought after capabilities.

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 01:29:47 am »

Using a 50mm/2.5 macro on a 5D full frame, with benchmarked studio lighting, decent sizes anything upto 3x2 ft or even 4x3 ft possible without vignette or other problems, they encourage.
What do you think?

"They who, exactly? If you are predisposed to listen to "them" why are you asking for advice here?

Look, a 5D MII is a low cost, low resolution device that can capture reasonable image detail for small'ish prints. 3x2 or 4x3? Yeah if you don't care about quality. Ever heard of GIGO–garbage in, garbage out? 4'x3' prints that look optimal? No...4'x3; prints that might past an idiot's glance? Maybe...

Look, it all depends on what level of crap you are trying to push...the 5D and 11x14" or 16x20" is a maybe...4x3? Crap...

edwinb

• http://www.image2output.com
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 03:08:22 pm »

test it for yourself - take a macbeth chart - shoot it and print it
do the same with a resolution test image
if the results are great at your required size (4x3?) you have a solution
otherwise try a sinar multishot which I have tested and know is ok :-)
regards
Edwin
Edwin Blenkinsopp
Technical Manager
image2output
m:  +44 (0) 7836 674749
e: edwin@image2output.com
w: Sinar |  Foba |Inkjet

fotometria gr

• www.fotometria.gr
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 06:29:36 pm »

Thank you louoates and fotometria gr for the insights...

The price: $5 is the lowest possible in certain spl. terms like contracted regular large volumes, buyer’s image- ‘printing only’ service etc. As you know India has cost advantages.
DSLR for image capture: I know fotometria gr what you meant. Mine is a start-up in ‘this’ line as a diversification to existing business. I need to study the line till I receive high end jobs. And I need a ‘handy’ camera system anyway. Later on can invest more on MFDB.

@I will also question the use of a DSLR to reproduce art work even if it is small, I suggest a MFDB for that and if possible a multishot one (sinar or Imacon/Hasselblad)...
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I am sure you will face stiff opposition from many photography experts, if you post the above statement at Photo-forums... I become challenged for my proposal to buy a DB. They say DBs are of bygone ‘film only’ era.
TODAY, capability of DSLRs are leapfrogged to unimaginable folds, in capture, sharpness, color, low light imaging, high resolution, full frame censors, vast MPs....etc. in combination with ‘software-force’ like Photoshop, Fractals...etc.  Hence DSLRs fare much better in totality and in cumulative results. And DBs pushed to specific, niche areas where extra high resolution and astonishing high volume data has to be processed, which is mostly limited to industrial and premium buyers/ sectors, they say.

What do you think?
Please note, personally I am not at all ridiculing DBs, but highly respectful of their sought after capabilities.

Are you really going to print art at lower than 100dpi? ...AND shot with a DSLR?  :'( I think the print will look like it has been ....shot! (bang, bang) :) Regards, Theodoros. www.fotometria.gr
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 06:32:20 pm by fotometria gr »

mediumcool

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2011, 11:06:57 am »

Even at the same resolution, medium format backs have better colour, tonal range and detail than equivalent full-frame 35mm cameras such as the 5D2 and the Sony 850 and 900s. When you increase megapixels, the differences become even greater. Can you hire MF digital cameras where you are? Try a test of a full-frame 35 against any MFDB and I guarantee you will be impressed by the difference.

You can get a used Mamiya AFD or newer with an 80mm f4 [manual aperture/manual focus] macro lens very cheaply, but finding an affordable back is a bit harder. Maybe $5K USD?
FaceBook facebook.com/ian.goss.39   www.mlkshk.com/user/mediumcool

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 06:18:36 pm »

TODAY, capability of DSLRs are leapfrogged to unimaginable folds, in capture, sharpness, color, low light imaging, high resolution, full frame censors, vast MPs....etc. in combination with ‘software-force’ like Photoshop, Fractals...etc.  Hence DSLRs fare much better in totality and in cumulative results. And DBs pushed to specific, niche areas where extra high resolution and astonishing high volume data has to be processed, which is mostly limited to industrial and premium buyers/ sectors, they say.

What do you think?

if you are shooting a still life and need a cheap solution - get a superresolition software like photoacute (http://photoacute.com/).... you will need to make something like 7 shots w/ slight offsets (it is not a panorama, no stitching) to get 4x pixels... certainly they will not be like from a single shot from a 80mp MFDB, but you are printing -> that helps to hide defects... plus based on your postings your target market is hardly the same as the posters above have if you are talking about walk in mom&pop tourists... they can bite, cost/price is what matters to them
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 06:20:13 pm by deejjjaaaa »
Pages: [1]   Go Up