Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aperture 4 & beyond?  (Read 87660 times)

DeeJay

Re: Aperture 4 & beyond?
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2012, 09:37:40 am »

Wow. The update has cured my woes. Running super efficiently now. Zero crashes.

All praise now.

Gerry Walden

• My Home Page
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2012, 02:58:48 pm »

I was hoping for an announcement about Aperture 4 in todays 'new product' statement from Apple, but nothing. To me it looks like they have given up on Aperture. From now on I think I will be sticking to Lightroom.

Gerry
Gerry Walden
www.gwpics.com

RobSaecker

• robsaecker.com
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2012, 05:34:26 pm »

It was an iPad/Apple TV announcement; it says nothing one way or the other about Aperture.
Rob
photo blog - http://robsaecker.com

JohnNewman

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2012, 06:52:29 am »

It was an iPad/Apple TV announcement; it says nothing one way or the other about Aperture.

I know but it would be nice if Apple gave us some indication of Aperture's future.  Adobe let us have a beta version of LR4 before issuing the full version.  I have a camera (Nex 7) which isn't supported for Raw in Aperture and, although I don't want to switch to LR, I'm sorely tempted especially with the new pricing (which makes LR now very competitive).

Unfortunately, it's not Apple's way to let us know in advance so I see a trial of LR4 on my horizon so that I've at least got a decent Raw processor for my shiny new toy.

Regards

John 

JohnNewman

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2012, 07:04:45 am »

I know but it would be nice if Apple gave us some indication of Aperture's future.  Adobe let us have a beta version of LR4 before issuing the full version.  I have a camera (Nex 7) which isn't supported for Raw in Aperture and, although I don't want to switch to LR, I'm sorely tempted especially with the new pricing (which makes LR now very competitive).

Unfortunately, it's not Apple's way to let us know in advance so I see a trial of LR4 on my horizon so that I've at least got a decent Raw processor for my shiny new toy.

Regards

John 

Thinking about this a bit more, does anyone know whether, if I imported my Nex 7 Raws into Lightroom as DNGs, I could then export them as files that Aperture can read.  In other words, can Aperture read DNG files that have been converted by LR.  Or would I have to export them as horrendously huge Tiffs? 

Thanks

John

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2012, 11:28:51 am »

Aperture certainly reads DNGs OK, so I don't see why you should have any problems

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2012, 12:57:18 pm »

It depends on the original raw file from which the DNG was created. All is well if Core Image (or whatever they call it now) can read the original raw file. If not, I think it only offers a baseline DNG conversion.

JohnNewman

« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2012, 01:47:23 am »

It depends on the original raw file from which the DNG was created. All is well if Core Image (or whatever they call it now) can read the original raw file. If not, I think it only offers a baseline DNG conversion.

Aperture certainly reads DNGs OK, so I don't see why you should have any problems

Thanks, I'll give it a try over the weekend.

michswiss

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2012, 08:52:26 am »

I've been an Aperture user for several years.  I just picked up my NEX-7 and found the lack of support for the camera in Aperture.  It's led me to downloading a trial copy of Capture One Pro to play with the RAW files.  I'd been thinking of trying that package for a while anyway.  I don't have any interest in moving to LR as Adobe and Apple are likely to play feature leapfrog for years to come with both packages getting most things right.  I'm hoping that C1 might inject some new thinking for me in the PP process and workflow.  I'll post an example or two in the critic section.

pcg

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2012, 02:34:24 pm »

I'm still waiting on Aperture to read Fuji X10 RAW files. It's now been months since the camera was released and months since Adobe began supporting it. LR4 supports it. Silence, as usual, from Apple. Disappointing and typical.

JohnNewman

« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2012, 02:06:19 pm »

Thanks, I'll give it a try over the weekend.

I took some RAWs on the Nex 7 on Sunday and converted them in Adobe DNG Converter.  They loaded up just fine in Aperture and, surprisingly, showed details of the lens in the metadata, which didn't happen for the jpegs of the same shots.

So, slightly annoying that I have to do this but I'm only a happy amateur so not a big problem.

John

P.S Image Data Converter from Sony was so slow as to be unusable.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 02:08:26 pm by JohnNewman »

JohnNewman

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2012, 06:35:06 pm »

I took some RAWs on the Nex 7 on Sunday and converted them in Adobe DNG Converter.  They loaded up just fine in Aperture and, surprisingly, showed details of the lens in the metadata, which didn't happen for the jpegs of the same shots.

So, slightly annoying that I have to do this but I'm only a happy amateur so not a big problem.

John

P.S Image Data Converter from Sony was so slow as to be unusable.

Update - Aperture now supports Nex 7 from today.  Have just downloaded the latest update.

john

Bob Rockefeller

• macOS, iOS, OM Systems, Epson P800
    • Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2012, 12:05:33 pm »

Apple has been MUCH quicker about supporting new cameras in Aperture and OS X lately.

Bob
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA   www.bobrockefeller.com

Daniel Salazar

« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2012, 02:00:18 pm »

Hi John, how long have you been using Apple products?, since ai remember back in Summer 1984, since then, they have never said something about their future products or plans. Saddly but true.
Cheers,
Daniel
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up