Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What polariser for Leica M9  (Read 3591 times)

David Watson

• David Watson
What polariser for Leica M9
« on: March 16, 2011, 05:08:02 pm »

I know that rangefinder cameras have their own special problems on this issue like - it is not an SLR so you cannot see what the filter is doing (duh!).  Can I ask what you can do to fit a polarising filter in a usable way to a Leica rangefinder (E39) lens please?
David Watson ARPS

Baxter

• http://www.baxterbradford.com
Re: What polariser for Leica M9
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 05:22:31 pm »

JeanMichel

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 06:41:24 pm »

Hi.
Check : https://www.leicaboutique.com/shop.php?CUR=1&IDC=1&ENC=&IDSC=4

They sell a Leica Universal Polarizing Filter M for under $600 Canadian. Kinda pricey and looks cumbersome.

With my film M's I occasionally, very occasionally, held a Hasselblad polarizer in front of the lens, not that difficult to do since the filter is much larger than almost any Leica lens.

Jean-Michel

David Watson

• David Watson
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 02:55:53 pm »

Thanks guys.  The Kenko kit from Robert White looks perfect and I have bought it today!! ;D
David Watson ARPS

250swb

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 04:28:49 am »

The Kenko kit looks clever. A slightly more clunky way of doing it is to just paint some marks around the edge of a normal polariser. They don't have to be perfectly spaced as they are just for reference, I just used coloured paint. Then hold the filter before your eye until the effect is right and note which colour is at the top. Screw it on the lens and turn the outer ring to the same position.

Steve

AlfSollund

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 03:44:13 pm »

Rotate the filter and see through until max effect, then mark the point pointing towards the sun. next time mount and rotate until point is towards sun (angle). Voila, works fairly well with some practice. Also I like that the all my Leica lenses uses the same filter mount size (39mm). I use a B&W and a B&W thin mount larger diameter for my Leitz 18mm.
-------
- If your're not telling a story with photo you're only adding noise -
http://alfsollund.com/

john cox

• The world exposed
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 07:17:03 pm »

you could always try a non rotating polarizar they're fairly cheap and will remove reflections well enough.
Pages: [1]   Go Up