Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Images shot with new Schneider Super-Digitar 28 XL Lens  (Read 27931 times)

Enda Cavanagh

• http://www.endacavanagh.com
Re: Images shot with new Schneider Super-Digitar 28 XL Lens
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2011, 07:00:45 pm »

Hi Shinichi
The distortion, where things can look stretched is caused by extreme movements  on a very wide angle lens. There is no software to get rid of that. I use the remove cast tool in phocus to get rid of the colour cast you get with a wide angle lens on a view camera and the digital centre filter to eliminate vignetting.

Ya the newest medium format cameras will lean towards the larger sensor size to accommodate the pixels and as you say this will affect the angle of view.

Shinichi Sato

• satoshinichi.com
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2011, 06:24:15 am »

Hi Enda,

I'm relieved to hear your answer that you didn't mention "barrel" or "pincushion" distortion.
The distortion I mean is the type of distortion. I would assume what you didn't use the words means what you don't feel the type of distortion. I am using 35mm DSLR system yet and my Nikon wide angle lenses have obvious barrel distortion so I always use the plugin PTlens to get rid of the horrible barrel distortion.
http://epaperpress.com/ptlens/
Enda, I'm going to MFdigital, thanks,

Shinichi

Enda Cavanagh

« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2011, 06:06:08 pm »

Sorry Shinichi. I misunderstood you. There is no need to make any corrections with this lens. I haven't done any such corrections on any of the images. If you look at image 12 of 36 on the 1st page of architectural images you will see an scene that would really test the lens in terms of barrel distortion. The top of the sign is very close to the edge of the image for example and all the lines are completely straight.
Hope that helps

Shinichi Sato

• satoshinichi.com
« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2011, 10:39:39 am »

Hi Enda,

Thank you for your thoughtful reply. The image you show me is really convincing.
Anyway, I like the tone of your pictures, the Schneider lens is also fabulous though.

Shinichi

Enda Cavanagh

« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2011, 09:22:52 pm »

Hi Paul. 
I don't know why but I browsed back over the post and realized you asked what was the Color shift on "full frame sensors" when using the 28mm. I use the lens with a h3d 39. Since the post and with the release of the new full frame sensor Phase one and Leaf Backs a whole can of worms has been opened where the 28mm is pretty much unusable due to appalling color casts on full frame sensor cameras. I'm completely gutted by this. The reason I bought this lens was the focal length/movement combination combined with minimal distortion on a pin sharp lens that is significantly cheaper and lighter than the Rodenstock alternative which could be used on future upgrades. What really pisses me off is there is a Schneider  stated quite clearly that the lens was designed around the new full frame sensors. Such a claim has turned out to be absolute horseshite.

I'm torn between sticking with the cropped sensor/28mm combination which gets a lovely result as i like going a bit crazy with the movements or upgrading to the 180iq and the 32hr. The last thing I need is to spend a fortune on a hasselblad to Phase one "upgrade" and than spend a bloody fortune on a Rodenstock lens which I think will deliver results which do not stand up to the type of shot achievable with the 28mm on a cropped camera.

The other side of the coin is that the features on the IQ180 are so mind boggingly amazing, which would make my life so much easier but would I get a better image and when I say image I'm talking about the image not the bloody resolution or dynamic range.

All I know is Schneider better come up with a solution quickly or their future doesn't look very bright

harshdreams

« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2011, 02:41:52 pm »

Hi Enda,
Curious to know whether you still use the 28xl on cropped sensor or have you moved on? Thanks, Harshan

Enda Cavanagh

« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2011, 03:16:11 pm »

Hi Harshan
I'm still using the 28mm on the H3D 39. I haven't moved on. I know there are so many advantages with the new Phase one IQ Backs. However the unworkable color casts you get with the IQ180 or IQ160 when used with the Schneider lenses with the type of lens movements that is the deciding factor in not changing yet. I was considering the IQ140 where I believe the color cast isn't an issue but than the 1.3 crop factor defeats the purpose of having the 28mm.

The bottom line is cameras with the 49 x 37mm sensors are the only ones that can deliver on the type of images I want to take. I'm waiting with baited breath if Hasselblad will bring a camera worth upgrading too, at least one with the same sensor size but some new technologies worth investing in. A 200 megapixel multi shot camera is definitly not the ansewer either!! At least not with the irish bloody wind ;D

harshdreams

« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2011, 09:46:06 pm »

Thank you Enda for the promot and clear response.
I shoot architecture and have been contemplating a move on to MF for a while now, currently with the 5dm2 and the new series of canon tse lenses. It took me a while to move from LF to the dslr mode, like someone mentioned earlier it's the budgets these days that clients are working with that do not really justify such an investment. On the other hand I have realised there are chaps renting out these backs and all I need to get are these lenses, I have a walker Titan xl and mike now has a digital facility to add a silvestri back. Any other model of camera backs will work with these lenses??

Regards,

Harshan
www.harshanthomson.com

archivue

« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2011, 07:10:38 pm »

"The bottom line is cameras with the 49 x 37mm sensors are the only ones that can deliver on the type of images I want to take. "

you can also shoot a full frame mfdb with the 32 rod... same perspective as your 28 on 36x48 sensor...

Enda Cavanagh

« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2011, 08:12:29 pm »

Yes but the movements will be substantially less on the larger sensors. I have used up to 20mm movement on the 28mm. And there is the small isue of cost  ;D My poor little pockets aren't deep enough to invest in an entirely new camera system and a new set of lenses.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up