Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice for learning compositing  (Read 27531 times)

WestMoon

Advice for learning compositing
« on: January 16, 2011, 07:10:17 pm »

Can anyone advise me about online resources where I can learn advanced compositing techniques? I have done a ton of searching, and I have found a handful of ok tutorials on specific techniques. Is the only way to learn advanced compositing to go to college/university in the flesh? If you've traveled this road I would be grateful for the benefit of your experience in finding the way that satisfied your needs.

Thanks.

Neil

ronkruger

• Outdoor writer/photographer for over 30 years.
Re: Advice for learning compositing
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 07:09:57 pm »

Every time you see an image that strikes you, study the composition. Then do the same things.
In the end, the only things that matter are the people we help and the people we hurt. Google Ron Kruger and click on any link to Photoshelter

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 10:34:54 pm »

Ok, I admit, I am confused... are you looking to learn composition or compositing? Compositing is usually defined as "combining (two or more) images to make a single picture".

Peter_DL

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 02:12:42 pm »

Some articles on Advanced Composition are offered on Ron Bigelow's website.
Not sure if it meets your question.

Peter

--

Brian Carey

• Brian Carey
    • Brian Carey Photography
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2011, 10:00:07 am »

I can tell you what works for me. Every time I see an image I like, from any medium, I ask myself "why do I like it"? I find this insightful and I am often amazed how often the image follows the"rule of thirds".
"Each day provides its own gifts" - Marcus Aurelius

My Website - My Blog - Flickr

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 10:30:24 am »

Ok, I admit, I am confused... are you looking to learn composition or compositing? Compositing is usually defined as "combining (two or more) images to make a single picture".

It's no use, Slobodan. It's like the difference between the verbs "to lie" and "to lay." No one knows the difference any more.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 11:51:39 am »

It's no use, Slobodan. It's like the difference between the verbs "to lie" and "to lay." No one knows the difference any more.

Russ, you forgot our old friends to, too and two; weather and whether; there and their, not to mention me and I.

It's all gone to the dogs.

Speaking recently of tv and whether it's worth the watching, even the BBC, that bastion of correctness, has allowed poor spelling on those distracting straps that obscure the lower part of the screen along with the more interesting necklines that are sometimes on display within that section of it. I suppopse that if one considers the dismal state of magazine covers today, where the ¡mage that was supposed to be the lure that made you part with your money is practically smothered with copy, the failings of tv should come as no surprise.

As I wrote, it's all with the pooches now.

Rob C

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2011, 02:28:21 pm »

Russ, you forgot our old friends to, too and two; weather and whether; there and their, not to mention me and I...

You guys (native speakers, that is) can afford to mingle those... the rest of us can not (unless, of course, we want to be labeled ignoramus immigranticus) ;)

RSL

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2011, 02:47:54 pm »

Slobodan, The thing you have to remember is that there's no such thing as "more unique" or "somewhat unique." If you can hang on to that fact you're home free.

Rob, Being an old guy, I agree: it just keeps getting worse and worse. I recently finished a novel that was chock full of bad grammar, misspellings, an inability to distinguish between plural and possessive, and hiliariously incorrect words. The novel was crappy but the writing and editing were so bad that I couldn't stop reading. The prize was the lawyer who was looking for an argument that would let him "go for the juggler." It wasn't a misspelling. He used the word in that connection more than once.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2011, 03:45:44 pm »

Just wait till the texting generation (GenTex?) grows up and starts adding titles to the 99c e-books  :)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 05:49:55 pm »

"To lay" is of interest only in the passive (passive acquisitive, to be creative).

Jeremy

Rob C

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 03:35:04 am »

"To lay" is of interest only in the passive (passive acquisitive, to be creative).

Jeremy

So the concept of a fun rape is but imaginary? Games people play...

;-)

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2011, 03:46:03 am »

Slobodan, The thing you have to remember is that there's no such thing as "more unique" or "somewhat unique." If you can hang on to that fact you're home free.

Rob, Being an old guy, I agree: it just keeps getting worse and worse. I recently finished a novel that was chock full of bad grammar, misspellings, an inability to distinguish between plural and possessive, and hiliariously incorrect words. The novel was crappy but the writing and editing were so bad that I couldn't stop reading. The prize was the lawyer who was looking for an argument that would let him "go for the juggler." It wasn't a misspelling. He used the word in that connection more than once.

Guess the writer doubled as editor... hard times indeed! But perhaps there was a hidden, higher level of creative intent at work: the lawyer character was being drawn to appear somewhat challenged? (Strange how it has become fashionable to convert a statement into a question by the mere addition of a question mark and/or a raised tone of voice. I  blame that on tv and CSI Miami. Imagine watching the titles to the latter on my new black/white set!)

Rob C

RSL

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2011, 07:32:21 am »

Jeremy, Tsk.. tsk..

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 01:23:20 pm »

Jeremy, Tsk.. tsk..
Russ, that's the second time you've told me off in those terms. I'll never learn.

Jeremy

Steve Simon

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2011, 02:01:50 pm »

In case the OP was asking about compositing rather than composition, the most useful videos I've found are by Julianne Kost and are at http://jkost.com/.  You may or may not like her work (I do) but she is technically excellent and a good teacher.  There may be videos on compositing at Lynda.com, which is a pay by the month site.  I'm not a member so I'm not sure.  For really advanced techniques, there are a number of books that are only on compositing.  I can't recommend any as my primary interest is in "straight" photography and compositing is only something I play around with.

ckimmerle

• http://www.chuckkimmerle.com
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2011, 10:59:35 pm »

I don't understand all this talk of semantics and language usage. The OP was asking about compositing. Seemed pretty clear to me. He never mentioned composition, nor was it even referenced (aside from a single third-party response). I think you all did the OP a great disservice by taking his honest question so off topic.

To answer the question, I would suggest giving Lynda.com a try. There are tons of great digital resources available for only about $25 a month. I doubt you'll need more than a month or two, so it's a good value.

Another option is to search Amazon.com for "digital compositing" and find a book that suits your interests. I found 107 results.

I cannot offer any specifics as I don't really do compositing (and rarely do composing very well). All I know is that practice will yield better results, and in quicker time, than attending school.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 11:05:15 pm by ckimmerle »
"The real voyage of discove

AvidVisionary

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2011, 09:30:28 pm »

I agree with ckimmerle, this thread got derailed without answering his question about COMPOSITING

WestMoon, follow ckimmerle advice and look at lynda.com and amazon.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 09:35:00 pm by AvidVisionary »

lowep

• http://sites.google.com/site/peterlowefoto/
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2011, 03:48:57 pm »

Just look at and read everything then do the opposite

Peter McLennan

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2011, 11:29:26 pm »

Katrin Eismann: "Photoshop Masking and Compositing"

ISBN 0-7357-1279-4

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up