Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: sinarback 54m  (Read 15611 times)

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
Re: sinarback 54m
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2010, 11:49:49 pm »

Alan:
I had to ask because as far as I know, the 8 bit reduction should be done always after all processing is done. Is the extra bits that give you the edge. Every tweak you do destroys a bit of the data. 16 bit files should stand more abuse and probably behave better. I don't claim to be an expert (much less in front of the Lula crowd  ;D) but I always keep them 16 bit until I'm done with all processing and sharpening. I usually batch convert to small jpg and to full resolution cmyk from 16 bit cooked tif files. After that I then convert the tif files to 8 bit for storage.
Probably this has nothing to do with your particular problem though.
Best
Eduardo

Alan Matuka

• Alan Matuka Photography
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2011, 07:08:20 pm »

hi, just to let you know about the progress...

since my last post I started using Captureshop 6.0 and results are somewhat better...
still, there is general lack of fine detail and Unsharp Mask is my dear friend that saves me...

images that I get from Captureshop 6.0 are good enough, but nevertheless it is obvious there is a general lack of sharpness, contrast and definition.
It may sound unwise but I decided to sell 54 M and replace it with Canon D5 II ( after having done some paralel tests ).

Does anyone have an idea how much I could expect to get for Sinarback 54 M in a mint condition ?

thanks

galupi20

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2011, 11:03:56 pm »

"...images that I get from Captureshop 6.0 are good enough, but nevertheless it is obvious there is a general lack of sharpness, contrast and definition."

I can't tell the same of my Sinar 54M. Look at the left eye in this picture. Hasselblad 500CM/ 150mm CF. f/11

http://galupi20.smugmug.com/Portraits/Preferidos/2764173_JfcdC#636277031_nNprE-O-LB

Luis

Dennis Carbo

« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2011, 10:23:03 am »

Alan,

My guess would be its not the Back that is the problem, perhaps the body or lens or even technique ? (no offense - i am not sure what or how you are shooting)- My 54M produces insane detail and sharpness.  I would think between 4-5k for a mint 54M on ebay though

Regards,

D

Alan Matuka

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2011, 06:22:02 am »

@ denniscarbo

I used same back in different conditions ( lighting, lens, speed )...
maybe I could send you an image sample...

Dennis Carbo

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2011, 07:29:02 am »

Sure...I would be happy to look at a sample. I tend to think based on what you have said maybe the focus plane is off somehow, as a previous poster said. In my experience the 54M easily out performs the 5DMKII and even the D3X at base ISO.  (Not looking for a debate here, this is my experience)   

Alan Matuka

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2011, 07:42:55 am »

Sure...I would be happy to look at a sample. I tend to think based on what you have said maybe the focus plane is off somehow, as a previous poster said. In my experience the 54M easily out performs the 5DMKII and even the D3X at base ISO.  (Not looking for a debate here, this is my experience)   

I hope you are right, because that would save me going through selling whole kit ( camera, lenses and the back ), and having to buy new camera.
please send me your email address, mine is
alan@alanmatuka.com
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up