Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18   Go Down

Author Topic: You can't do That with medium format  (Read 131772 times)

BrendanStewart

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 236
    • http://www.symbolphoto.com
Re: You can't do That with medium format
« Reply #240 on: October 27, 2010, 01:00:45 pm »

ok perhaps i entered the thread at the wrong point and got the wrong impression as to what was going on here. I don't have time to go back and confirm this, so if so, Much Apologies.
Logged

Guy Mancuso

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1133
    • http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/index.php
Re: You can't do That with medium format
« Reply #241 on: October 27, 2010, 01:02:50 pm »

I'm working 15 hours minimum a day to try to improve my photography, being better step by step with any kind of equipment that falls in my hands, with no other intention than improve, make a more consistent work, find a solid way of expression and shoot bloody better mounth by mounth.
I spend my week ends to learn all the possible softwares, learning video filming, editing, assisting and solving problems for people that pay me.
And I can even manage to have a private life.

When I see the incredible amount of bullshit that are written in this thread, is the D3x better that my sister and law? the DoX curves and all that relevant information, I'm sorry dudes, but when I'll run out of toilet paper, I'll made a special print to clean my bottom with your Dynamic D F......g 3 and DoX comparatives. I'm sure my ass will make better pictures.

There you go Fred you hit the jackpot. Bottom line is we are all in this to survive and whatever improvements we need to take as far as gear, software and just flat out getting more creative at our craft is all that matters. Gear is gear knowing how to use it effectively in all aspects is PHOTOGRAPHY and the end result is ALL that counts. How you get there is absolutely meaningless. It's nice to talk about the gear but for me is how to take the gear to different levels of improving oneself, I don't need the science what i do need is to understand the workings of it to take advantage of what it can do to help improve me. Have fun back to work.
Logged
[url=http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showt

Ray

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 10475
Re: You can't do That with medium format
« Reply #242 on: October 27, 2010, 01:04:58 pm »

I'm working 15 hours minimum a day to try to improve my photography, being better step by step with any kind of equipment that falls in my hands, with no other intention than improve, make a more consistent work, find a solid way of expression and shoot bloody better mounth by mounth.
I spend my week ends to learn all the possible softwares, learning video filming, editing, assisting and solving problems for people that pay me.
And I can even manage to have a private life.

When I see the incredible amount of bullshit that are written in this thread, is the D3x better that my sister and law? the DoX curves and all that relevant information, I'm sorry dudes, but when I'll run out of toilet paper, I'll made a special print to clean my bottom with your Dynamic D F......g 3 and DoX comparatives. I'm sure my ass will make better pictures.

Dear me, Fred! It sounds as though the D3X is the camera for you. I sense here a subconscious resistance, a state of denial about the true wonders of the D3X.

You know you want it! Don't resist! It might not have the pixel count of the latest DB, but it's got almost everything else, and more.  ;D
Logged

bjanes

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3387
Re: You can't do That with medium format
« Reply #243 on: October 27, 2010, 01:07:02 pm »

When I see the incredible amount of bullshit that are written in this thread, is the D3x better that my sister and law? the DoX curves and all that relevant information, I'm sorry dudes, but when I'll run out of toilet paper, I'll made a special print to clean my bottom with your Dynamic D F......g 3 and DoX comparatives. I'm sure my ass will make better pictures.

Fred,

Your vulgarity is inappropriate for the forum and I don't find it amusing. By DoX, I presume you mean DXO. I think that I am the only one who posted DXO curves in this thread, but I could be wrong since the thread is no enormous. The curves that I posted make an important point, which apparently escaped you, a point that has important implications when shooting in limited light.

I don't think anyone has stated that the D3x is better than your sister in law, or better than the Phase 1 P65+. The P65+ has a big advantage over the D3x in megapixels and resolution and also has many high grade prime lenses that can deliver the resolution offered by the sensor. However, by any objective criterion (such as the DXO testing), it does not have vastly greater dynamic range. What BS that you find objectionable has been posted?

Regards,

Bill
Logged

Ray

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 10475
Re: You can't do That with medium format
« Reply #244 on: October 27, 2010, 01:13:41 pm »

ok perhaps i entered the thread at the wrong point and got the wrong impression as to what was going on here. I don't have time to go back and confirm this, so if so, Much Apologies.

Apology accepted. I don't hold grudges.
Logged

Ray

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 10475
Re: You can't do That with medium format
« Reply #245 on: October 27, 2010, 01:22:34 pm »

...and on and on and on and on...

It's called 'The Wheel of Life'.
Logged

fredjeang

  • Guest
Re: You can't do That with medium format
« Reply #246 on: October 27, 2010, 01:25:52 pm »

My post was not intented to be funny but to be taken as it is. Wasn't aimed either to you particularly.

Here is the politically corrected version:

When I see the somewhere exagerated arguments, keeping in mind that in a democratic forum every voice's counts and without any intention to disqualify the french scientific DXO datas, if only emiting a certain reservation,  I should had that all the equipment is suitable to our purpose, wich is making photography, and therefore shouldn't we focus on a respectufull way to establish, not interesting, differences between two systems that for sure have only unsignificant relevant impact in the essence our works?
Logged

feppe

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2906
  • Oh this shows up in here!
    • Harri Jahkola Photography
Re: You can't do That with medium format
« Reply #247 on: October 27, 2010, 02:00:29 pm »

If the forum software has a limit on the number of people one can ignore, I'm going to hit it in a page or two more of this thread.

pcunite

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 205
Re: You can't do That with medium format
« Reply #248 on: October 27, 2010, 02:08:51 pm »

What makes Luminous Landscape so cool, and why I keep coming back to drink the coolaid... is because wrapped up deep inside a thread that is obvious bait, there are some pretty cool people, cool mini discussions taking place, and some of the best photographers in the world are posting in this very thread and it is still very civil. Amazing really...

Luminous Landscape is special. These tangents must in some way be a part of what makes it so good here. Slightly off topic... Am I perceived to be a weirdo freak? Sometimes it is hard to know what others think of you, not that it always matters.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 02:10:26 pm by pcunite »
Logged

Rob C

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 25145
Re: You can't do That with medium format
« Reply #249 on: October 27, 2010, 02:53:37 pm »

Luminous Landscape is special. These tangents must in some way be a part of what makes it so good here. Slightly off topic... Am I perceived to be a weirdo freak? Sometimes it is hard to know what others think of you, not that it always matters.


1. It only matters what they think if they are clients.

2. Weirdo freak? You're a photographer, aren't you? Why would anyone notice a little eccentricity after that?

Rob C

Rob C

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 25145
Re: You can't do That with medium format
« Reply #250 on: October 27, 2010, 03:18:25 pm »


1. It only matters what they think if they are clients.

2. Weirdo freak? You're a photographer, aren't you? Why would anyone notice a little eccentricity after that?

Rob C


To add to the above, yes, LuLa is indeed special. I believe strongly that it is because of the tangents that this place works so well; as in any real conversation, people do wander around hither and thither, it's all about communication and building up a sense of relationships, personalities and so on. If you stay long enough, you even discover that someone with whom you traded verbal punches a couple of years ago is actually a damn pleasant guy, that his written manner is not his nature. It takes time and it takes an ability to read and not second guess motive.

And above all, we are blessed with minimal government action!

Rob C

Nick-T

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 462
Re: You can't do That with medium format
« Reply #251 on: October 27, 2010, 03:25:59 pm »


The shot was at F8 at ISO 100 and the focal length was 40mm. F8 was probably too wide an aperture. F9 or F10 would have been better.


I shouldn't really rise to the bait.

Ray you are a troll.

The sentence above is exactly why you will never understand what good photography is. Your obsession with numbers and pedantry is just that. It's a shame that so much good information in these forums gets buried and pointless threads like this one.

I should however thank you for the laugh when you told a (very competent) photographer that his graffiti was out of focus. Reminded me of these fake critiques:

http://theonlinephotographer.blogspot.com/2006/06/great-photographers-on-internet.html

Nick-T
Logged
[url=http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.c

pcunite

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 205
Re: You can't do That with medium format
« Reply #252 on: October 27, 2010, 03:26:34 pm »


2. Weirdo freak? You're a photographer, aren't you? Why would anyone notice a little eccentricity after that?

Yes, full time. But I have argued about the necessity of MFD systems as it relates to purely commercial objectives. I want to be careful to not be insulting to those who have spent $50K on such a setup. It is not their intelligence that I question. Perhaps a part of me is not as artistic as it should be.

I tend to look for how little I can spend on the gear itself. Mark Dubovoy (a very smart guy) said that he would spend whatever it takes to make images. It is just a different way of thinking... BUT, and this is very important, I feel as though I share the same passion for quality imagery, imagery that a collection of MFD owners typically are making. For some reason I have been unable, and uninterested in realizing the gains MFD seems to provide. Can I still play in the pool? :)
Logged

Rob C

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 25145
Re: You can't do That with medium format
« Reply #253 on: October 27, 2010, 04:52:10 pm »

Yes, full time. But I have argued about the necessity of MFD systems as it relates to purely commercial objectives. I want to be careful to not be insulting to those who have spent $50K on such a setup. It is not their intelligence that I question. Perhaps a part of me is not as artistic as it should be.

I tend to look for how little I can spend on the gear itself. Mark Dubovoy (a very smart guy) said that he would spend whatever it takes to make images. It is just a different way of thinking... BUT, and this is very important, I feel as though I share the same passion for quality imagery, imagery that a collection of MFD owners typically are making. For some reason I have been unable, and uninterested in realizing the gains MFD seems to provide. Can I still play in the pool? :)



It's not a matter of smart or not, really, more one of economics and absolute requirement for the work one gets.

A wealthy amateur is free to spend as he chooses, and why not? On the other hand, a pro, if able to raise the dough, should spend to suit the work he has at the time; I think it's a mistake to overspend on a wish. If work comes along that demands additional gear, if you can buy it, then buy it, but I'd wait until you have to. If you live in those cities where you can rent the stuff, maybe that makes more sense, at least for a while until you know that your work depends on having such equipment.

Nobody needs to live in hock. If you go that route, you are losing a lot of the pure pleasure that photography as a business can also offer you. You have to sleep easy, and the work itself doesn't always allow that, never mind inviting debt into your life as a further complication!

But then, that's just my way of looking at finance; others seem to thrive on debt. It could well be a generation concept.

Rob C

« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 04:54:14 pm by Rob C »
Logged

Ray

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 10475
Re: You can't do That with medium format
« Reply #254 on: October 31, 2010, 12:32:28 am »

I shouldn't really rise to the bait.

Ray you are a troll.

The sentence above is exactly why you will never understand what good photography is. Your obsession with numbers and pedantry is just that. It's a shame that so much good information in these forums gets buried and pointless threads like this one.

I should however thank you for the laugh when you told a (very competent) photographer that his graffiti was out of focus. Reminded me of these fake critiques:

http://theonlinephotographer.blogspot.com/2006/06/great-photographers-on-internet.html

Nick-T

Nick,
I think it's you who are offering a bait which I probably shouldn't rise to, but here goes.

First, as a teacher of photography I would advise you never to tell anyone that he will 'never understand what good photography is', because such statements can only be understood as a projection onto others of your own feelings and sense of inadequacy as a teacher.

Far better to adopt the principle, 'there are no bad students, only bad teachers'.

Secondly, how you can describe a concern about using the best F stop for a particular DoF, as being an 'obsession with numbers and pedantry', beats me.

Selecting the most approriate combination of F stop, ISO and shutter speed is the most basic procedure for anyone who uses a camera in manual mode. It affects such matters as DoF, sharpness at the plane of focus, motion blur and noise.

One of the great advantages of the digital system that provides EXIF information about every shot taken, is that it creates a learning feed-back process.

In the days of film, one would have to make a written note of the f stop and shutter speed of every shot, unless one's memory was very good and/or one took very few shots.

With digital, the comparisons between different combinations of F stop, shutter speed and ISO are easy to make, after the event, even long after the event, and hopefully one can learn from one's mistakes and get a sense, borne of experience, of the most appropriate f stop to use without taking out a measuring tape to find the precise hyperfocal point for the desired DoF (which is something I've never done, by the way, and something which I would call being a bit obsessive).

Now I don't mind your having a good laugh at my comment that the interesting background in a particular photograph was out of focus (way out of focus) and my enquiry as to whether or not that was deliberate.

I personally don't necessarily have a problem with an interesting background intruding upon the main subject. If I go out of my way to choose an interesting background, I would like that background to be 'in focus' if it adds to the general interest of the shot as a whole.

If the background is not interesting, is distracting or even ugly, then by all means get it out of focus as much as possible.

But to deliberately choose a background for its interest and then treat it as though it were any other background that requires to be out-of-focus, seems it bit questionable to me. (I'm entitled to my opinion, am I not?)

But again, I think you have missed the point. The main point of that remark was not to critique the photo, but to suggest that the OoF backround was a natural consequence of using an MFDB system. If the client is happy with the shot, then that's what counts. I wouldn't argue against that.

However, if I were the bridegroom in that shot, and the graffiti in the background was my own handywork, I might like it to be in focus.

So, my point was, with a good DSLR one would have the option of getting the background in or out of focus, without compromising image quality significantly.

With the MFDB there seems to me to be a tendency to always get the background OoF because to do otherwise compromises image quality as a result of stopping down into diffraction-limited F-stops, or raising ISO which reduces image quality more significantly on MFDB systems than on DSLRs.

Hope I've managed to clarify this for you, Nick  ;D .

Logged

Fritzer

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 212
Re: You can't do That with medium format
« Reply #255 on: October 31, 2010, 01:33:44 am »

Can I still play in the pool? :)

Sure.
Just stop constantly requesting attention to your personal feelings, will you ? ;)
Logged

Ray

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 10475
Re: You can't do That with medium format
« Reply #256 on: October 31, 2010, 02:22:14 am »

I dig this.

This is the direction blogs and forums are going, the notion that every voice has equal weight.  

Heck, you see it under a NYTimes article some unknown from wherever giving opinion on politics, the economy, the moon and their voice is just as important as the author of the article. (at least to them).

It's crazy and this forum gets sucked into it every time.

I have this feeling that ol' Ray Ray is just laughing his ass off.   Here's a guy that spends about 50 bucks a year on photography and can stir the pot of people that buy, use make and sell images and equipment around the world.

All he's gotta do is just write some silliness that nobody will do a proper test to his satisfaction, even though he's not able, or willing to do it himself, this place goes ape s##t trying to prove him wrong.

This format fixation is hilarious and has absolutely nothing to do with the art, or commerce of making a photograph.  

Funny stuff.

BC


This is an interesting post because it highlights a great confusion between the democratic right of any person to express his/her feelings about any situation that affects him/her, and the unqualified opinions that abound, about complex matters that are the subject of contention amongst the experts in the field.

Every voice does not have equal weight, on the internet or anywhere else, to me. Anyone who thinks it has equal weight must be referring to himself, his own attitude to such opinions.

I always judge an argument, or an opinion, on its merits, whoever is the author of such an opinion. I can't imagine anyone, who is not a sheep, thinking that all voices on the internet have equal weight.
Logged

yaya

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1254
    • http://yayapro.com
Re: You can't do That with medium format
« Reply #257 on: October 31, 2010, 06:24:38 am »

Selecting the most approriate combination of F stop, ISO and shutter speed is the most basic procedure for anyone who uses a camera in manual mode.

Sure...and then (but only if you REALLY want to) you can also remove the lens cap, point the camera at something, maybe even frame and compose a bit and finally, as the last possible priority, press the shutter...

...actually, you can also do this in Auto mode on a mobile phone camera (which would normally not have a lens cap, saving you one step in the process), but only if you really want or need to take a picture...
Logged
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: [email protected] |

Ray

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 10475
Re: You can't do That with medium format
« Reply #258 on: October 31, 2010, 08:55:39 am »

Sure...and then (but only if you REALLY want to) you can also remove the lens cap, point the camera at something, maybe even frame and compose a bit and finally, as the last possible priority, press the shutter...

...actually, you can also do this in Auto mode on a mobile phone camera (which would normally not have a lens cap, saving you one step in the process), but only if you really want or need to take a picture...

Of course you can, but the issue addressed is whether or not a concern about appropriate F stop in manual mode is obsessive or not. Nick seems to think it is.
Logged

Ray

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 10475
Re: You can't do That with medium format
« Reply #259 on: October 31, 2010, 09:02:10 am »

I feel like sending some heart-felt greetings to the exclusive, MFDB-owning members of this commercial photographers' section of the forum.

May peace be with you, and may you satisfy many clients.


Logged
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18   Go Up