Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Calibration differences Adobe's DNG Profile Editor and Color Checker Passport  (Read 6787 times)

MelHill

pretty big swings between the two calibrators
and this is from the same file...
the only difference between the to images is the applied calibration
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 04:06:28 pm by MelHill »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/

I'm not really surprised, I've seen similar differences. FWIW, I slightly prefer the X-Rite profile for my 5DMII.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

MelHill

So far, All I've looked at are portraits and I do prefer the xrite version so far.

WombatHorror

I'm not really surprised, I've seen similar differences. FWIW, I slightly prefer the X-Rite profile for my 5DMII.

same exact here

gollywop

Yes, I've noticed the same thing, and I, like those above, prefer the Xrite profiles.  The interesting thing is, if you open the resulting profiles in a text editor, the Adobe profiles are much, much longer and more complicated.  They apparently have more color matrices and more levels. The Xrite profiles are only a dozen or so lines long.  I'd love to know what the differences are.  But it appears to me that more complicated may not be better.
gollywop

madmanchan

• Web

Profile software optimize profiles for different characteristics. So given a single set of measurements, it's possible to build a large number of different profiles, with different visual behavior. You can think of them as different flavors based on the same initial measurement data.
Eric Chan

shewhorn

• http://

I'm shooting a couple of D700s and more often than not I prefer the Adobe profiles. I've found the X-Rite profiles often have a green cast but I haven't played with the software since December so perhaps they've made some tweaks.

Cheers, Joe

dnmiller4

I have settled on the Adobe over the X-Rite.   When I started using the CCP with the X-Rite software, I was having difficulty with printed images looking like the original artwork I was imaging.

A colleague of mine had suggested the Adobe DNG profile editor.   At first, reluctant to use the Adobe DNG profile editor, I became frustrated using the X-Rite software. (One more step was added with the Adobe DNG profile editor.)   However when I gave DNG profile editor a try, I was getting the results I had been looking for.

For my work flow, I stick with the Adobe DNG profile editor.

Hope this is some help.

Cheers

David

Pages: [1]   Go Up