A bit of history as to why I asked my original questions in this forum, is that when I posted very closely similar questions to Alain Briot on his blog which you can read his response (both my questions and his response can be read at
http://beautiful-landscape.com/Reflections/?p=99#comments) which I have pasted here as well.
Now his answer seems to indicate (at least the way I understood his response) that LR is as not sophisticated for him to produce what he wants (which is very high quality image optimisation), hence he uses PS with layers/masks etc. But anyway I did not get the information I was looking for, i.e. what to do in LR and what to do in PS, as there is a lot which can be done in both. Hence I posted a similar question in this forum. Is it worthwhile to invest and learn PS or is learning to do things in LR is enough for a majority of things.
I know there are still certain things which you can't do in LR, like creative sharpening or what is called sharpening for effect, for which PS is the answer. So is there anything else like that in the image processing work flow which can only be done in PS?
Sorry for this long post...
Cheers
Nagaraj
------------------------------------------------------------------------
My question to him:-
Alain
You say don’t do all the post-processing work in raw converter but use layers in Photoshop. My question is:-
Now a days a raw converter like Light Room has got pretty much everything in it. Including the ability to selectively dodge-burn, selective sharpening etc. and it does all of this in non-destructive manner, as it is a parametrically driven program. And best of all it seems very intuitive to work with a program like LR, where as PS layers etc. seem to be quite intimidating to learn and use.
Can you tell me, where in your opinion should we stop in your raw converter and begin in PS? In other words, what should we do in the raw converter and what should be done in PS layers?
Thank you
Nagaraj
Alain's response:-
Nagaraj,
I only do exposure and white balance adjustments in the Raw converter. I do everything else in Photoshop using layers. In fact I also finalize exposure and white balance correction using layers because it is far more precise and controllable.
The real question is about your goals for the optimization of your photographs. Are you looking for the quickest way to optimize your photographs or for the finest way to optimize your photographs? If you are looking for the quickest way, then doing everything you can in the raw converter is the answer. If you are looking for the finest way, then using layers in Photoshop is the answer.
Also, whose work do you like best and whose work inspires you? If you want to optimize images the way I do and create a look comparable to mine, there is no way to do so in the raw converter at all. This is because my process is dependent on the use of layers.
It’s a little like trying to duplicate Ansel Adams’ work but refusing to use the Zone System (the Zone System is the approach Adams designed to create the look he wanted for his images. Think of it as Adams’ “layers” in the darkroom).
This is simply not possible, because there is no way to control tonality the way Adams’ controlled it without using the Zone System.
This is the same with layers. I am fully aware that Raw converters can complete a lot of image processing functions. The reason why I don’t do eveerything in the raw converter is not because I am not aware of this fact! The reason why I don’t is because it does nto give me the results I seek. I need layers to do what I want to do, just like Adams needed the Zone System.
Obviously, using the Zone System was a lot more work for Adams than simply developing and printing his photographs like everyone else did in his days! Yet, he went through the extra trouble because of the control, and the very fine result, that the Zone System gave him. As I mention at the start of my answer, your goals define your approach.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------