Philip, thank you for joining this forum to help me with this problem. I really appriciate this.
You say: You'll need to generate the profiles with ColorSync on Generic RGB to disable the Epson colour management to avoid issues under 10.6. How do I do this?
Not a problem - from what I've been reading the 2 options appear to be either:
1) Switch to ColorSync and select a Generic RGB profile instead of Automatic (mostly for Canon printers now under 10.6)
2) Switch to Epson Colour Management (instead of ColorSync) and then disable the colour management entirely in the Epson Color Management sections.
Basically if your printer supports its own colour management that can be switched off I'd try that (it seems Epson does). The alternative is to use ColorSync however switching it into Generic RGB mode to disable the colour management (this is what I had to do on the Canon printers). See
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat...essage=34104136 - you'll want to be running Mac OS X 10.6.3 and ColorMunki 1.1.1 software first however.
Once you're able to do this you should be able to get the ColorMunki software to print the targets without ColorSync (or drivers) munging the data up (hopefully). You should save a printer preset and triple check the settings to ensure none have changed between printing the two targets. After that it's a matter of testing with Photoshop with some test images by selecting Photoshop Manages Colors, the setting the new profile and having it in Perceptual rendering mode. If you use soft proofing you can test to see if the soft proof matches what you expect from the printer. You'll need to get some good light sources to compare (ie, daylight) as Tungsten or CCFL's can play games with your eyes unless the profile is really right off.
With paper types you'll need to experiment with which paper type works best with your paper you're profiling since most drivers only allow their own paper types that you have to shoehorn others into. (At least, this is true of Canon, Epson may have additional settings that can help you out). Even small changes like switching quality modes (ie, Fast -> Slow) can have a big difference in how the paper reacts (try in soft proof mode) so I recommend just sizing the ColorMunki targets to 6x4 sheets to avoid large ink/paper use costs.
Now I have a blue dot on Epson Stylus Pro 7600 and not on a profile. What is the meaning of this dot and how can I change it.
If that's in ColorSync Utility for Devices it means it's the default profile for the printer for media types that don't have their own profile provided. You'll probably see there's factory profiles for the standard types of paper from Epson usually Matte Paper-HW (MPHW), Premium Gloss Photo Paper (PGPP), Photo Quality IJP (PQIJ) and so on. For Canon there's Photo Paper Pro (PR), Photo Paper Plus Glossy (SP), Matte Photo Paper (MP) with varying quality levels (1 = Best, 4 = Fastest). I haven't tried modifying the preset profiles as I prefer to use programs like Photoshop to choose a profile instead.
I think you are a pro in colour management
Not sure about that myself (since I'm still learning via a long uphill slog) but hopefully the above helps you out, be interested to see how you go.