Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: CS5 "no colour management" print option gone  (Read 56950 times)

FrankPinkston

Re: CS5 "no colour management" print option gone
« Reply #80 on: October 05, 2010, 04:42:45 am »

Anyone know more about when Adobe will release the free app to print profile targets?

Frank

nkpoulsen

« Reply #81 on: October 05, 2010, 06:01:59 am »

Because in the case of Photoshop Manages Color, the file data is being converted to an output profile by Photoshop and being tagged. It's "untagged data" as in the case of a profile target that has issues. As long as you can turn color management OFF in the print driver, an output profile managed by Photoshop behaves normally.

So, it's the untagged data that's causing the problem.  Then I'm wondering, why couldn't Photoshop tag the data, but still not make the conversion for an NCM option?

I suppose as long as Adobe provides a utility to print targets, then we have what we need.  But, if they can provide a separate utility to print targets, they could have certainly left the NCM option within Photoshop.  And in my view, that's where it belongs.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 06:06:06 am by nkpoulsen »

Doyle Yoder

« Reply #82 on: October 05, 2010, 07:12:49 am »

So, it's the untagged data that's causing the problem.  Then I'm wondering, why couldn't Photoshop tag the data, but still not make the conversion for an NCM option?

I suppose as long as Adobe provides a utility to print targets, then we have what we need.  But, if they can provide a separate utility to print targets, they could have certainly left the NCM option within Photoshop.  And in my view, that's where it belongs.

But the problem is in some specific printer drivers. Even Epson's 8.x drivers do not have this problem. I do not see where this is an Adobe or Apple problem.

Doyle

meadow2man

« Reply #83 on: October 11, 2010, 06:30:49 pm »

At the risk of sounding naive might I ask the following?
In CS5 in the print window, under Print Settings, then Layout, then print settings> in Basic under Color Settings there is an OFF (No Color Adjustment) option.
 When selected isnt that option performing the same function as Color Management OFF (No Color Adjustment)  in prior versions of Photoshop such as CS3??

Thanks in advance for comments.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #84 on: October 11, 2010, 07:01:12 pm »

In CS5 in the print window, under Print Settings, then Layout, then print settings> in Basic under Color Settings there is an OFF (No Color Adjustment) option.
 When selected isnt that option performing the same function as Color Management OFF (No Color Adjustment)  in prior versions of Photoshop such as CS3??

OFF (No Color Adjustments) is a setting in your print driver (sounds like an Epson). OFF No Color Management in Print, which is part of Photoshop was completely different and is no longer an option in CS5 (Color Handling).
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

meadow2man

« Reply #85 on: October 11, 2010, 08:02:58 pm »

Yes it is an Epson printer, I forgot to mention that fact.

Sure is confusing. I am sitting her looking at CS 3 Print dialog box, on Color Management, has 3 buttons,
"Color Controls" then "Color Sync" and last button is "Off"( No Color Adjustment) the same exact words as in CS5 installed on my other mac. On the CS5 with No color adjustment selected my prints look quite good.

In CS3 I had to use Off to get decent print colors.

Perhaps you could explain further what the difference is?

Thanks..

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #86 on: October 11, 2010, 08:19:31 pm »

Yes it is an Epson printer, I forgot to mention that fact.

Sure is confusing. I am sitting her looking at CS 3 Print dialog box, on Color Management, has 3 buttons,
"Color Controls" then "Color Sync" and last button is "Off"( No Color Adjustment) the same exact words as in CS5 installed on my other mac. On the CS5 with No color adjustment selected my prints look quite good.

In CS3 I had to use Off to get decent print colors.

You are confusing Photoshop and its controls with the Epson print driver and its controls. In CS5, the Print Settings button opens the Epson driver controls. You are no longer “in” Photoshop but the Epson driver. In CS4 and earlier, you configured Photoshop’s Print dialog, hit the Print button and the Epson dialog (the dialog you see by selecting Print Settings in CS5) appear.

Two sets of controls, two sets that do different things. And FWIW, if you had a different print driver, you would see different items to select after clicking Print Settings in CS5 (or the Print button in CS3).

meadow2man

« Reply #87 on: October 11, 2010, 08:37:23 pm »

You have explained something I never have nor understood, ie that one box is PS and the other the Printer. Thanks. 

You obviously know infinitely more that I do about this subject, and I do want to appear argumentative however in both cases are we not in the Printer dialog box and shutting OFF color adjustment by the Printer, thereby letting PS to manage colors?

Thank you

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #88 on: October 11, 2010, 09:14:20 pm »

in both cases are we not in the Printer dialog box and shutting OFF color adjustment by the Printer, thereby letting PS to manage colors?

Again, there’s Photoshop’s Print dialog and there’s a printer dialog.

You can set Photoshop CS4 and earlier for No Color Management (you can’t in CS5). You can set all versions to use color management. This is completely independent of the print driver. You can set the Epson Print driver for No Color Adjustment independent of Photoshop. The two are not the same. One controls the working space data as it is sent to the print driver (that’s Photoshop). Once that data makes its way to the print driver, you have the Epson driver control itself (No Color Adjustment).

meadow2man

« Reply #89 on: October 11, 2010, 10:45:23 pm »

Ok. So the question then becomes what is the best way to print from CS 5 to an Epson printer? i use custom printer profiles generally. Is there a preferred methodology for color management using CS 5?

Thanks again. Peter

na goodman

« Reply #90 on: October 12, 2010, 12:01:53 am »

In CS5 go to file/print. On the right hand side of the Photoshop window pick Photoshop manage Colors. Under Printer profile pick your profile. Now click on Print Settings - this will take you to the Epson print driver where under color management you will pick "no color management". Go under print settings and pick your media, etc. You then hit "Save" in the print driver window and are taken back to Photoshop window where you hit print. That should do it.

meadow2man

« Reply #91 on: October 12, 2010, 09:04:53 am »

Trying to follow your protocol however in my CS5 when I select Print Setting which takes me to a Print window, first select paper size then convert from Layout to another Print Setting, select Media type. At this point there is no  Color Management per se but Color Settings are available from which one can select OFF ( No Color Management), then Save and then from the photoshop window, Print.

Trying to be exact in this process to understand if its the same process you describe?

Thanks for your help.

na goodman

« Reply #92 on: October 12, 2010, 09:39:51 am »

Sounds the same to me. Go for it.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #93 on: October 12, 2010, 10:00:20 am »

Ok. So the question then becomes what is the best way to print from CS 5 to an Epson printer? i use custom printer profiles generally. Is there a preferred methodology for color management using CS 5?

Photoshop Manages Color, select profile and rendering intent. Set Epson for No Color Adjustment (and rest of driver correctly set with media settings etc)

meadow2man

« Reply #94 on: October 12, 2010, 10:18:07 am »

So do we differentiate "no color management" in prior versions of Photoshop as compared to 'no color adjustment" in CS5? Are they not the same? Both are performed within the Printer window are they not?

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #95 on: October 12, 2010, 10:21:56 am »

There is NO “No Color Management” option in CS5.

Read the posts again! No Color Management and No Color Adjustments are two entirely different options in two entirely different pieces of software.

nkpoulsen

« Reply #96 on: October 13, 2010, 12:32:33 am »

Again, there’s Photoshop’s Print dialog and there’s a printer dialog.

You can set Photoshop CS4 and earlier for No Color Management (you can’t in CS5). You can set all versions to use color management. This is completely independent of the print driver. You can set the Epson Print driver for No Color Adjustment independent of Photoshop. The two are not the same. One controls the working space data as it is sent to the print driver (that’s Photoshop). Once that data makes its way to the print driver, you have the Epson driver control itself (No Color Adjustment).

Maybe this is a known bug; I'm not sure.  I have an early, upgrade version of CS4 that was ordered prior to CS4's release.  The "No Color Management" doesn't work correctly.  It prints the target far too light.  Consequently, prints come out far too dark.  This drove me nuts (not a long drive), until I finally compared the CS4 printed target to that printed by CS3.

I could probably fix this with a Adobe downloaded upgrade, but haven't yet.  I just use CS3 to print my targets.

nkpoulsen

« Reply #97 on: October 13, 2010, 12:40:20 am »

But the problem is in some specific printer drivers. Even Epson's 8.x drivers do not have this problem. I do not see where this is an Adobe or Apple problem.

Doyle

Yes, I understand this.  I've learned something from this thread in that regard.  And I know it's neither the responsibility of Apple nor Adobe.  But in my view, I don't see this as a sufficient reason for Adobe to retract an important feature.

I can also understand how others might see this differently. 
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up