Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Stop Teasing!  (Read 17975 times)

Ben Rubinstein

Stop Teasing!
« on: February 10, 2010, 06:30:51 am »

From 'What's New'

More announcements are due over the next few days, leading up to the PMA show later this month.

Tease. It's annoying actually as I want to buy a 1Ds mkIII now in the 2nd hand market but if there's to be a mk4 announced in the next few days then I don't want to close on a deal just to see the price drop like a stone on an announcement. I thought the Feb 8th annnouncement was it from Canon but now with MR teasing us with the above comment, I don't know what to think!  

To hold off on the WTB posts for another week or so or not, that is the question, oh well, sigh...

stamper

Stop Teasing!
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 06:45:08 am »

Quote from: Ben Rubinstein
From 'What's New'

More announcements are due over the next few days, leading up to the PMA show later this month.

Tease. It's annoying actually as I want to buy a 1Ds mkIII now in the 2nd hand market but if there's to be a mk4 announced in the next few days then I don't want to close on a deal just to see the price drop like a stone on an announcement. I thought the Feb 8th annnouncement was it from Canon but now with MR teasing us with the above comment, I don't know what to think!  

To hold off on the WTB posts for another week or so or not, that is the question, oh well, sigh...

Do you want Michael to make the decision for you? I believe he charges 10% of any deal.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Stop Teasing!
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 07:05:44 am »

Quote from: Ben Rubinstein
From 'What's New'

Hi Ben,

I assume, with Canon not attending the PMA, that the 1Ds4 is going to be an August announcement for the Photokina 2010 in late September with November/December availability, exactly on time for a 3 year cycle (1Ds Mark II in 2004, Mark III in 2007).

I also expect the Mark IV to be an evolutionary development, with just enough new features to sell some more units to existing 1 series users. The second hand Mark II & III market will be good for their lens sales. It wouldn't surprise me if the pixel count is going to be 27MP instead of 30+, and it will probably have 1/3rd stop less dynamic range, more loss if they do increase the pixel count without revolutionary advances in the technology that's used. Color accuracy will probably suffer from more transparent CFA dyes. I'll be waiting for the prices to come down, and the quality to be proven this time. The Mark III is serving my needs just fine, no need to rush.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

michael

Stop Teasing!
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 09:27:58 am »

I ordered a new car in December, a 2010 model, just a few months after they were introduced. It's scheduled for delivery in a few weeks.

But last week I learned that the company has just announced the 2011 models, with a couple of significant enhancements. This announcement is 5 months earlier than anticipated, with deliveries starting in April.

This means that their 2010 model year was chopped to about 7 months in length. More importantly it means that I'll likely lose about $10,000 on depreciation eventually as my car will appear to be one year older that it should when it comes time to trade.

Oh well. At some point one just has to make the best decision one can with the information available and live with the consequences.

Michael

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Stop Teasing!
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 09:47:30 am »

Quote from: michael
Oh well. At some point one just has to make the best decision one can with the information available and live with the consequences.

True, although that's a stunt that doesn't help brand loyalty, but then these are dire times for the car industry and there is a lot of competition to stay ahead of.

Anyway, for most people it's easier to switch car brand than camera brand + lenses. Changing from one model to the next evolutionary version of a camera body is unlikely to make one a better photographer either, it just might make life a bit easier getting certain shots. The question then becomes, is it worth ones money (e.g. competitive advantage) to be one of the early birds ... ?

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Ben Rubinstein

Stop Teasing!
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 10:38:59 am »

The post was tounge in cheek, I can wait a few more days,  having to take a loan to buy the camera hence the penny pinching    I need a dual card camera now for my weddings since a catastrophic card failure took all the family formals with it from a wedding. The data recovery people gave up after 7 weeks and sending it to the big boys in the US. I'll put up a WTB at the beginning of next week if I've not heard anything sooner...  

Bill VN

Stop Teasing!
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2010, 08:25:35 pm »

I ordered a new car in December, a 2010 model, just a few months after they were introduced. It's scheduled for delivery in a few weeks.

But last week I learned that the company has just announced the 2011 models, with a couple of significant enhancements. This announcement is 5 months earlier than anticipated, with deliveries starting in April.

This means that their 2010 model year was chopped to about 7 months in length. More importantly it means that I'll likely lose about $10,000 on depreciation eventually as my car will appear to be one year older that it should when it comes time to trade.

Michael

Did you go with the Rolls-Royce Phantom or the new Ghost?

michael

Stop Teasing!
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2010, 10:20:28 pm »

Lamborghini, but modesty prevents me from mentioning it.

Michael

Paul Sumi

Stop Teasing!
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2010, 10:29:54 pm »

Michael

A perfect car for those snowy winter roads in the Great White North.    

Paul

Rob C

Stop Teasing!
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 04:24:38 am »

Michael

Come on, Michael, you are far too sensible, pragmatic and realistic.

Rob C

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Stop Teasing!
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 08:57:14 am »

Quote from: Rob C
Come on, Michael, you are far too sensible, pragmatic and realistic.

Rob C
He chose the Lamborghini because it has a mirror lock-up button.    
Eric

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

michael

Stop Teasing!
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2010, 09:36:40 am »

Snow tires on a Lambo. What could be more pragmatic than that?  

In any event, whatever it is (and I'm not saying yet), it isn't here yet. Delivery is scheduled for March 1, when I get back from a trip to Mexico, which I leave on this weekend. Then, all will be revealed.

Michael

Ps: There's a Mercedes model called an SLR. (Just kidding).

PierreVandevenne

• http://www.datarescue.com/life
Stop Teasing!
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2010, 10:37:59 am »

Snow tires on a Lambo. What could be more pragmatic than that?  

If you ever write a piece called "the limits of adherence in high performance cars", we'll call you "Warren" (Warren Mars for those who didn't follow). ;-)
Besides, past the age of 40, assuming you still fit in a Gallardo, getting out of it in style is impossible. And last but not least, as our mentor Ken Rockwell would say...

The car doesn't matter: it's the driver!

bobtowery

• Antarctica 2016
    • http://bobtowery.typepad.com
Stop Teasing!
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2010, 12:59:42 pm »

Preview of Michael's next fall color shoot:

[attachment=20221:lambo_9519.jpg]

Naw, Michael is an Audi man! Q5? Q7? Then again I'm not aware of the early model change with those models.  Next to my Canons, love my A8 best!
Bob
 ht

PierreVandevenne

• http://www.datarescue.com/life
Stop Teasing!
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2010, 01:20:53 pm »

Quote from: bobtowery
Naw, Michael is an Audi man! Q5? Q7? Then again I'm not aware of the early model change with those models.  Next to my Canons, love my A8 best!

And I heard the recently announced new A8 is a major improvement. With the differences in model years and availability between Europe and US/Canada, the hint about the depreciation amount... you could be close.

michael

Stop Teasing!
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2010, 01:47:22 pm »

Nope, not an Audi, though I've owned three in the past dozen years.

A brand I've never had before.

Michael

fredjeang

Stop Teasing!
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2010, 02:31:42 pm »

Couldn't resist...

[attachment=20229:michael_lambo.jpg]

Snow tires works!

michael

Stop Teasing!
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2010, 03:17:35 pm »

Isn't Photoshop wonderful?

M

dwood

Stop Teasing!
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2010, 04:33:59 pm »

Careful with that new Prius.

vandevanterSH

Stop Teasing!
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2010, 04:38:10 pm »

Quote from: bobtowery
Preview of Michael's next fall color shoot:

[attachment=20221:lambo_9519.jpg]

Horses do better than Bulls in snow/ice.

[attachment=20231:__1_of_1__18.jpg]

Steve
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up