Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stop Teasing!  (Read 17989 times)

Paul Sumi

Stop Teasing!
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2010, 03:55:08 pm »

Quote from: fredjeang
My bet is
[attachment=20298:lula_team.jpg]

A LULA F1 team.

+1!

michael

Stop Teasing!
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2010, 04:10:59 pm »

Quote from: Paul Sumi
Not quite as much fun as in the "old days" when one would fly to Germany to pick up one's new BMW, Mercedes, etc, at the factory and try it out on the autobahn during a European holiday.  But considering the current snow storms on the eastern seaboard, probably a wiser delivery choice.    

Paul

Apparently BMW is building a plant in Russia to make X5s and X6s, along with the Spartansville plant in SC. That would be an interesting pick-up option.

I had a Toureg for a few years when they first came out. Now there's a real off-road 4WD!

Michael

John Camp

Stop Teasing!
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2010, 06:15:42 pm »

Quote from: michael
Apparently BMW is building a plant in Russia to make X5s and X6s, along with the Spartansville plant in SC. That would be an interesting pick-up option.

I had a Toureg for a few years when they first came out. Now there's a real off-road 4WD!

Michael

When I was banging around in the back country a lot, I drove a Lexus GX450, which is essentially a more comfortable Toyota 4Runner; I actually dipped the front wheels in the Arctic Ocean at Prudhoe Bay. As much as Lexus tried to disguise it, the GX is a truck. Now I'm driving back and forth from Minnesota to California a couple times a year, and I wanted something quicker and more comfortable. I got a Mercedes R class, which is a big, powerful, comfortable, four-wheel-drive pig, at a price point considerably lower than an X6. It's functional but just doesn't do much for me -- doesn't carry as much as an SUV, and isn't as good off-road, and though much more comfortable, is otherwise fairly bland: think Mercedes minivan. (Though I think it looks more like a hearse than a minivan.)

The X6 seems to me not really an SUV, but more of a grand touring car, with some SUV-like function thrown in. The Panamera is also a GT, with less SUV function, and probably no off-road capability -- I'm not completely sure that it would clear an upright Coke can.

JC

michael

Stop Teasing!
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2010, 06:41:59 pm »

The X6 definitely isn't a classic SUV. It's what's now called a "crossover", offering characteristics of several different types of vehicles in one. While it isn't the master of any one category it offers a mix of capabilities that I think I'll find appealing.

Ask me again in 12 months and I'll let you know how it works out.

Michael

BJL

Stop Teasing!
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2010, 08:01:46 pm »

The X6 definitely isn't a classic SUV. It's what's now called a "crossover", offering characteristics of several different types of vehicles in one.
Perfect ride for a combo-cam enthusiast. Prepare for "the jack of all trades, master of none" comments.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 08:02:50 pm by BJL »

Marlyn

Stop Teasing!
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2010, 11:46:58 pm »

Real 4wd = Toyota 80/100 series Landcruiser,  Nissan Patrol       (/don's flame suit and ducks incomming missiles from Landrover owners.)
We don't have the snow really, but we have some serious 4wdcountry to get around in in Aus.   Can be pretty harsh on vehicles.
(Warning, gratuitous 4wd Shot  [attachment=20306:4WD_Road.jpg]  Outback Australia, somewhere NW South Australia)

X6 looks very nice for touring + what my 4wd club calls 'soft road'  as opposed to 'off road'.
Although I bet it would go quite nicley in many situations !.

Regards

Mark.

PS:  Definition of a 4WD,  something off which to hang accessories !.   (sounds like a camera)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 11:58:07 pm by Marlyn »

vandevanterSH

Stop Teasing!
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2010, 11:51:58 pm »

First cousin (1/2 brother) to the Porsche Cayenne.  The Cayenne is an excellent off-road/on road SUV.  I bought an S a few years ago on a whim and have put 60k miles on it; a lot in the Southwest US. Unlike the Merc. SUV that I had, the Cayenne corners like a Porsche.  I will be interested in an X6, Touareg comparison.

Steve

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Stop Teasing!
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2010, 12:52:11 am »

The 2011 models is DSLR? Does it mean Diesel?

Erik ;-)

Snow tires on a Lambo. What could be more pragmatic than that?  

In any event, whatever it is (and I'm not saying yet), it isn't here yet. Delivery is scheduled for March 1, when I get back from a trip to Mexico, which I leave on this weekend. Then, all will be revealed.

Michael

Ps: There's a Mercedes model called an SLR. (Just kidding).
Erik Kaffehr

John Camp

Stop Teasing!
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2010, 12:59:14 pm »

Quote from: vandevanterSH
First cousin (1/2 brother) to the Porsche Cayenne.  The Cayenne is an excellent off-road/on road SUV.  I bought an S a few years ago on a whim and have put 60k miles on it; a lot in the Southwest US. Unlike the Merc. SUV that I had, the Cayenne corners like a Porsche.  I will be interested in an X6, Touareg comparison.

Steve

I got a ride in one of the first Cayennes to make it to the US, and it was pretty awesome. We never got off the freeway, but I've never had that neck-jerk reaction in an SUV before. My reservation about the Cayenne is that if you use one in the Northern Plains, where I live, you might have to have it towed two states away if anything breaks down -- Porsche dealers being fairly thin on the ground outide the major metro areas. As far as I know, there are no Porsche dealers in North or South Dakota, Montana, Idaho, Nebraska or Wyoming, except in Fargo, N.D., which is right on the Minnesota line, and Omaha, Ne., which is right on the Iowa line...if you broke down in Montana, the closest Porsche dealer might be Denver, or maybe Calgary. If you broke down in Saskatchewan, the closest dealers would be in Winnepeg, Calgary or Edmonton, a *long* way away.

A lot of reviewers suggest that these new crossover vehicles, like the X6 (there are several Japanese models that would fall into the category, but I don't know what they are) are ugly, because of the humpy back -- but I think as people get used to them, there'll be a perceptual change and they will become more attractive. When the BMW design changed eight or ten years ago, with the "Bangle back,"  a lot of people thought they were ugly, but now that look is all over the place.

If you were not especially looking for comfort, I think the ideal photography vehicle might be a Chevy Avalanche, the short-bed pickup with crew cab (four seats.) They're an SUV-pickup crossover. That would give you plenty of space to carry stuff in the cab (the back seats lay flat) and you could shoot out of the truck bed. I've noticed sometimes when I'm out looking at landscapes that it would be very useful to get the camera lens up four or five feet higher than eye-height.

What I'd *really* like to see is something like an Avalanche hybrid. It's really hard to justify driving around town at ten miles a gallon. Even if you don't care about the price of fuel, just the use of that much gas is becoming problematic.

JC

bobtowery

• Antarctica 2016
    • http://bobtowery.typepad.com
Stop Teasing!
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2010, 02:03:24 pm »

Looks like a very nice machine.  And the new tripod mount that replaces the sunroof is a great option. Sunroofs are overrated anyway.

[attachment=20309:X6.jpg]

Everyone should own a BMW once. And for some, once is enough!
Bob
 ht

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Stop Teasing!
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2010, 03:07:38 pm »

Quote from: bobtowery

I had a BMW once -- an R26 motorcycle (1-cylinder). Probably the most reliable motor vehicle I've ever owned. Could never figure out how to mount the zoom lens though.

Eric

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

michael

Stop Teasing!
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2010, 04:05:59 pm »

Looks like a very nice machine.  And the new tripod mount that replaces the sunroof is a great option. Sunroofs are overrated anyway.

I'll look for the 1/4-20 tripod thread in the roof when the X6 gets here. I don't see it listed in the BMW brochure. My preference though would be an RRS mounting plate. I really don't understand why auto makers don't make it a standard accessory, especially with SUVs so being conducive to using larger lenses.

Michael
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 04:08:52 pm by michael »

Paul Sumi

Stop Teasing!
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2010, 04:47:48 pm »

My preference though would be an RRS mounting plate. I really don't understand why auto makers don't make it a standard accessory, especially with SUVs so being conducive to using larger lenses.

Michael

I was passing through San Luis Obispo, CA the other week, and dropped in to visit Really Right Stuff's office.  Funny you should mention that; I saw some interesting stuff, although the NDA I signed forbids me from commenting further.

Well, at least the first sentence is true.  

Paul
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 04:49:40 pm by Paul Sumi »

Gellman

• http://www.jgphoto.com
Stop Teasing!
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2010, 04:51:48 pm »

Michael,

Spartansville? That BMW plant in South Carolina is located between Spartanburg and Greenville.

Columbia, SC based photographer Jeff Amberg has produced a nice series of portraits of workers at the BMW plant. You can see some of the good folks who built your SUV on Jeff's Blog.

John
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 04:54:09 pm by ncjohnboy »

Paul Sumi

Stop Teasing!
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2010, 05:05:08 pm »

I'm sure the image stabilization will come in handy for photography on the move.    

Paul

bobtowery

• Antarctica 2016
    • http://bobtowery.typepad.com
Stop Teasing!
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2010, 05:50:19 pm »

I'm thinking that with Michael being a Leica man again, he has ordered the special edition BMW X6M9 version:

[attachment=20313:x9_leica.jpg]

Remote pointing with the iDrive knob, just press to take the image.  Remote display of image on Nav screen (thank God someone finally listened to him!).  Hotshoe attachment to synch with fog/strobe lights.  No changing of lenses while driving is available, however a center mounted spray washer is optionally available.

Kind of adds new meaning to "street photography," doesn't it?
Bob
 ht

etrexler

Re: Stop Teasing!
« Reply #56 on: March 06, 2011, 02:27:33 pm »

Michael,

It's be 12 months on the X6.  How's it doing?

Eric
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up