Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad H4D-40 to be launched on Feb 10th  (Read 86046 times)

Toto

Hasselblad H4D-40 to be launched on Feb 10th
« Reply #240 on: February 12, 2010, 06:30:14 pm »

Quote from: TMARK
Hey Hasselblad sales people:  your snide tone is alienating people.  I hope that's not part of your marketing strategy.  I'm starting to associate the brand with a decidely negative emotional response.  I've worked in advertising log enough to know that is not a good thing.  In fact, this is the opposite to what you want to create.  This from someone who thinks the new True Focus is a good idea, and sees a real benefit in the H as a camera integrated with a back.  

I'm not being snide or critical, I'm just letting you know how things look from where I sit.

If you want to know, I'm a rich dentist.

I buy P1, Hassselblad and all the expensive gear !

For a teeth cure, call my assistant ! But I analyze your mouth with a 120 mm macro, that a plus ! At the end, photographer don't get the snide thing

vandevanterSH

« Reply #241 on: February 12, 2010, 06:37:34 pm »

Quote from: dougpetersonci
David Grover is the only employee of Hasselblad here AFAIK and I can't see any comment he made which is snide. I've always found him to be strait forward, thick skinned, and have a good sense of humor.

Doug Peterson
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work

I agree..David Grover is probably one of the least "offensive" people who is also a strong advocate for his product.

Steve

TMARK

« Reply #242 on: February 12, 2010, 07:22:55 pm »

Quote from: vandevanterSH
I agree..David Grover is probably one of the least "offensive" people who is also a strong advocate for his product.

Steve

I can't really determine who works for Blad or is a rabid fan. If my comment is undeserved as to Mr. Grover, I apologize.  

I do stand by my comment, though.  Perhaps its just the fanboys and not a certain unprofessionalism.  I did appreciate the MC Hammer pants comment.

TechTalk

« Reply #243 on: February 13, 2010, 12:59:51 am »

Hey Hasselblad sales people:  your snide tone is alienating people.  I hope that's not part of your marketing strategy.  I'm starting to associate the brand with a decidely negative emotional response.  I've worked in advertising log enough to know that is not a good thing.  In fact, this is the opposite to what you want to create.  This from someone who thinks the new True Focus is a good idea, and sees a real benefit in the H as a camera integrated with a back.  

I'm not being snide or critical, I'm just letting you know how things look from where I sit.

I can't really determine who works for Blad or is a rabid fan. If my comment is undeserved as to Mr. Grover, I apologize.  

I do stand by my comment, though.  Perhaps its just the fanboys and not a certain unprofessionalism.  I did appreciate the MC Hammer pants comment.

Hello TMark. I believe that I am the one that has made posts that you find objectionable. I do not work for Hasselblad and never have. I also do not consider myself a rabid fan or fanboy of any brand or product. My attitude is "You may love your stuff, but your stuff will never love you back". However, I do have a long standing appreciation of the tools and technology we use for making photographs. I also have a long standing respect and appreciation for the people that make the products that we use.

I've had the pleasure of using products from, and getting to know people from, a variety of manufacturers. These people have been interesting and intelligent folks with a passion for photography and a genuine interest in the people that use the tools they design, make and sell. So why have I posted comments that you find objectionable in tone and which lead to your characterization of me?

Well... I actually have little interest in internet forums of any kind. I'm old fashioned enough to prefer talking to people. I've observed the unending flame wars that have gone on for years between Mac and PC "fanboys" and don't waste much time reading them. They are unproductive, loaded with misinformation and misleading statements from both sides and I wouldn't consider wading into that kind of cesspool even with hip boots. But photography is nearer to my heart and with some reluctance I have waded in here on occasion.

From time to time I have posted to simply correct some bit of misinformation or comment on the financial aspects of the medium-format market. On other occasions, I have found the frequency or amount of vitriol, directed at Hasselblad by a few, rising to the level where I feel like responding. Where you find my posts objectionable I am likely responding with a tone that reflects that of the posts or posters that I am addressing. Sadly, I realize that I am not rising to their level of commentary but sinking to that level. However, having said that, companies are made up of real people and if in my opinion a company is being attacked in a manner that I find unfair, incorrect, misleading, mocking, condescending, unreasonable, uninformed or in some other way objectionable... I may respond in kind again. Hey, I'm human and have both reason and emotion as motivation.

I would like to be fair and reasonable. If I post a comment that you find objectionable, you can message me privately or post publicly your objection and I will at least extend you the courtesy of reviewing what I have written and either apologizing for or defending what I write. I can say, that I appreciate your concern over the rather nasty tone that can and does develop in any internet forum including this one. That I participate in such exchanges seems, at the time of writing them, more a matter of responding to the internet equivalent of a schoolyard bully and this is not a source of anything for which I take any pride or credit.

The manufacturers that are discussed here (Hasselblad, Phase One, Mamiya, Leaf, Sinar, Rollei and others) have two goals 1) make and sell great products and 2) stay in business. These companies are made up of some great people. They work within limitations both technological and financial that are often not well understood. Of course they are people and are imperfect and make mistakes. I have no objection to objective or subjective criticism of products or companies. But I do object to attacks of the type previously described, especially those that I feel are demeaning, misleading or unwarranted.

OK... I've got that out of my system... for now. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to vent a bit... it's good for the blood pressure.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 01:09:01 am by TechTalk »
Respice, adspice, prospice - Look to the past, the present, the future

Toto

« Reply #244 on: February 13, 2010, 06:14:48 am »

Quote from: TechTalk
Sadly, I realize that I am not rising to their level of commentary but sinking to that level. However, having said that, companies are made up of real people and if in my opinion a company is being attacked in a manner that I find unfair, incorrect, misleading, mocking, condescending, unreasonable, uninformed or in some other way objectionable... I may respond in kind again. Hey, I'm human and have both reason and emotion as motivation.

It's the dark side of the Force ! Fighting the Evil is a dangerous game

It's good to read about passion ! I think we have all a real passion for photography, but as we can see it, it seems that love is sometime exclusive and accompanied with a bit of jealousy.

For my part, I find that the rant against "rich dentist" is offensive and goes nowhere, as the more the people buy a certain type of product, the wider the market is, providing the manufacturers the ability to continue to invest and deliver new products at a better price for all. So, there are no competition between "so called real professionals" and passionate amateurs or artists.

I don't believe either that we can split groups of people by "those who knows better" or by "those who does the best photographs", as small minded people and lack of imagination and taste seem so well distributed in each groups

And I find, if it really works True Focus a great innovation, because focusing is a real issue that bothered me for years with MF.

Best regards

Dick Roadnight

« Reply #245 on: February 13, 2010, 07:27:57 am »

Quote from: TechTalk
I've had the pleasure of using products from, and getting to know people from, a variety of manufacturers. These people have been interesting and intelligent folks with a passion for photography and a genuine interest in the people that use the tools they design, make and sell. So why have I posted comments that you find objectionable in tone and which lead to your characterization of me?
There is a distinction between the designers/manufacturers and their sales/PR/support organisations...

with most companies you get the impression that their Sales/PR budget is hundreds of times what they spend on Research and Development...

But Mercedes and Hasselblad seem to concentrate on getting the product right.

...but driving a Mercedes van is easier than getting the best out of a Hasselblad camera, and you cannot walk in to any photo shop in any town and expect to find someone familiar with the finer points of using electronic-shuttered apo-digitars on a Sinar view camera with Hasselblad digital backs.

When I asked Chris Russell-Fish (MD Hasselblad UK) a technical question at the H4D-40 launch in London, he told me that David Grover was the expert.

...and how does the IQ of the 39ms compare to that of the 60? ( I am thinking of getting a CF39¿MS? back as a 2nd and/or backup system for use with my ELD, P2, etc.)

... and if you use a 50MS in multi-shot mode, how do the results compare to using a 50 with a quad-stitch back? I think that one of the significant differences here is that the greater image size with the quad-stitch would give you less DOF.
Hasselblad H4, Sinar P3 monorail view camera, Schneider Apo-digitar lenses

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #246 on: February 13, 2010, 07:55:16 pm »

Quote from: KLaban
Are what available online?

Those many images of yours that could not have been shot with panoramic techniques?

Cheers,
Bernard

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #247 on: February 14, 2010, 09:09:57 am »

Quote from: KLaban
Well, certainly, they are there to be seen. Of those natural world - landscape - captures on line, stitching techniques - I'm not interested in panoramas - could have been used successfully on only one occasion, or rather, used on only one occasion in order to meet my own needs.

As I've already said, over a period of many years, I could count on the fingers of one hand the occasions where conditions would have allowed for successful stitching i.e. conditions with absolutely no subject movement. Perhaps for your own subject matter and in your own part of the world subject movement is less of a problem? Experience has taught me that all too often it's difficult enough to make successful single captures, let alone multiple captures intended for use in creating a single image. Given the choice I'd choose single shot capture every time.

There is a tendency on this and other forums for contributors to imagine that their own choices of equipment/ software/technique are the Holy Grail and all other choices of equipment/software/technique are in some way inferior. I'm genuinely delighted that you've found the ideal equipment/software/technique for your own use, but respectfully suggest, as indeed we've seen from other contributors, that these choices of equipment/software/technique are not a panacea for all.

Fair enough, but I have never considered panorama techniques to be the panacea. I see them as a very valuable tool among others.

On the other hand, many of the images I shoot using panorama techniques have some form of movement in them (water, trees/leaves, clouds, people,...), it is often not a problem when the latest software developments are leveraged. I would just not want anybody to rule out these techniques based on a partial understanding of the value they can deliver.

The attached set contains some examples:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlangui...57600916381270/

Cheers,
Bernard
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]   Go Up