Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR 2.5 / iTunes conflict?  (Read 2848 times)

Mark F

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 365
LR 2.5 / iTunes conflict?
« on: October 18, 2009, 08:43:16 pm »

Thinking that it would be nice to listen to music while editing, I loaded iTunes while editing in LR 2.5      But it seems that both programs use the space bar and arrow keys, so every time I used those keys in the Library module iTunes intercepted the command and took over.  Has anyone else found this and have you found a work-around?  

I'm running OS 10.5.6 and iTunes 9.0.1 (9)

Thanks.
Logged
Mark

francois

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 14432
LR 2.5 / iTunes conflict?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 06:13:21 am »

Quote from: Mark F
Thinking that it would be nice to listen to music while editing, I loaded iTunes while editing in LR 2.5      But it seems that both programs use the space bar and arrow keys, so every time I used those keys in the Library module iTunes intercepted the command and took over.  Has anyone else found this and have you found a work-around?  

I'm running OS 10.5.6 and iTunes 9.0.1 (9)

Thanks.
Mark,
I haven't tried but what happens if you go into your System Preferences>Mouse & Keyboard>Keyboard Shortcuts and set shortcuts keys preferences for Lightroom or iTunes?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 06:13:41 am by francois »
Logged
Francois

Mark F

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 365
LR 2.5 / iTunes conflict?
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 04:09:04 pm »

Thanks. I looked at this but am not sure how I would do it. Is it a quick explanation or could you direct me to online guidance?


Quote from: francois
Mark,
I haven't tried but what happens if you go into your System Preferences>Mouse & Keyboard>Keyboard Shortcuts and set shortcuts keys preferences for Lightroom or iTunes?
Logged
Mark

francois

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 14432
LR 2.5 / iTunes conflict?
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 03:48:14 am »

Quote from: Mark F
Thanks. I looked at this but am not sure how I would do it. Is it a quick explanation or could you direct me to online guidance?
Mark,
I just tried and failed miserably   . My idea was that you could go into the shortcuts panel and define new shortcuts for either Lightroom or iTunes, which is very easy (Just click the "+" button, choose your application, enter the exact menu item title and finally enter the shortcut). Now the problem seems that for iTunes arrows and space keys are hard-coded and cannot be by-passed. Lightroom seems to treat arrows in the same way.

Now, you must have something non-standard on your Mac. On my Macs (G5 Macs, Intel-powered Macs), iTunes 9.0.1 only reacts to arrows or space keys when iTunes is the front application. If I'm in Safari (or in Lightroom 2.5) and hit the right arrow key,  iTunes doesn't go to the next song. Do you use Butler or Keyboard Maestro or QuickKeys?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 03:49:41 am by francois »
Logged
Francois

Mark F

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 365
LR 2.5 / iTunes conflict?
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 02:13:51 pm »

Francois,

Problem solved, but I have no idea how. The only thing I did was a cold reboot. I suspect my 24" iMac may be acting up since when I put it to sleep it did not comeback when I hit keys, so I had to power down and reboot.

Thanks for your ideas and help.


Quote from: francois
Mark,
I just tried and failed miserably   . My idea was that you could go into the shortcuts panel and define new shortcuts for either Lightroom or iTunes, which is very easy (Just click the "+" button, choose your application, enter the exact menu item title and finally enter the shortcut). Now the problem seems that for iTunes arrows and space keys are hard-coded and cannot be by-passed. Lightroom seems to treat arrows in the same way.

Now, you must have something non-standard on your Mac. On my Macs (G5 Macs, Intel-powered Macs), iTunes 9.0.1 only reacts to arrows or space keys when iTunes is the front application. If I'm in Safari (or in Lightroom 2.5) and hit the right arrow key,  iTunes doesn't go to the next song. Do you use Butler or Keyboard Maestro or QuickKeys?
Logged
Mark

francois

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 14432
LR 2.5 / iTunes conflict?
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 03:41:50 am »

Quote from: Mark F
Francois,

Problem solved, but I have no idea how. The only thing I did was a cold reboot. I suspect my 24" iMac may be acting up since when I put it to sleep it did not comeback when I hit keys, so I had to power down and reboot.

Thanks for your ideas and help.
Mark,
Gald to hear that a simple reboot solved your problem. I thought that it might be a more serious issue.
Have a good day!
Logged
Francois

HickersonJasonC

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 158
LR 2.5 / iTunes conflict?
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 02:16:52 pm »

Quote from: francois
Mark,
Gald to hear that a simple reboot solved your problem. I thought that it might be a more serious issue.
Have a good day!

I have found iTunes and LR incompatible for other reasons. It may be just a shortage of RAM in my system (though other programs don't seem to have the same effect), but LR never functions well while iTunes is running for me. Specifically, it is slow, slow, slow, crashes often, and Web module will not load images. I don't know if it is LR or iTunes to blame but I stick with my iPod while editing images.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up